January 2022 Moms

TMI, but SOS

So, I literally hate having to bring this up because it’s hella embarrassing, but I am dying over this constipation. I will go 3-4 days without going… desperate times call for desperate measures. I have taken some laxs a couple times. Colace & E. Lax. My husband is a medic & looked It up & he said they are fine as long as i’m not using them every night. im not doubting him, but I have looked It up and alot of places say not to use e lax so now i’m panicking. Has anyone else had this problem? what are doing or taking? I’m just wicked nervous im going to harm my baby, or cause contractions. im 22 weeks almost 23.

Re: TMI, but SOS

• Try prune juice also! Take 4-6 oz a day until you get “regular” and then I take a “maintenance” dose of 2oz a day. 
  • I’m sorry the constipation is getting this bad, @firewife_911! I have a packet of info given to me by my OB. It says mild laxatives are safe in limited amounts, and then it lists milk of magnesia and Miralax specifically. I don’t know if colace and E. Lax are the same, but if they are, it doesn’t sound like once in a while is going to do anything harmful to your or your baby. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Try using metamucil daily to increase your fibre and keep your stool soft.  
    It may also be your prenatal that is contributing to your constipation (I think iron, specifically). Try talking to your doctor about alternatives. 
  • @firewife_911 I don’t think you need to panic about the ex lax you’ve already taken, but I’d try to avoid it in the future. I have chronic constipation (and had emergency bowel surgery a few years ago from a blockage) and learned that miralax is a miracle drug. It’s gentle enough that you can use every day if needed, but also works really well as needed. (Although if you’re needing everyday for a prolonged period you should bring it up to your doctor). It’s not as fast of a response as ex lax (could take a day or two), but once it moves things along, it’s really helpful. I’ll usually take it if I don’t go for a day, and use it until it works. And then stop, because let me tell you it will REALLY clean you out if you’re not careful. Colace is fine to take daily, but I never really felt it did anything for me. And as mentioned above you may also want to look into a fiber supplement to help things stay on track, but honestly, miralax has always been the most reliable solution for me. 
  • I’ve been making green smoothies or green juice and if I don’t drink one pretty much everyday I get constipated. I mix greens, coconut water, a banana and a mix of either fresh or frozen fruit. I’ll add lemon and ginger to the juice. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cheers friends😂