February 2022 Moms
Options

Ask A STM+ A Question

If you have questions for second time moms, post them here!

Re: Ask A STM+ A Question

• Options
    I'm starting to think about doing an outside baby shower and want to start a registry or two. Any suggestions on the best places to have registries? Amazon? Target? Buy Buy Baby? Thank you!
  • Options
    I think Amazon is great, and have done Walmart and target before too! I would go to wherever you think your family and friends will shop most, and I’m my experience a lot of people don’t even look at them. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @photographerwife Agree that a lot of people won’t even look lol—at least when it comes to clothes! 😂

I also recommend going where you want your completion discount—Target and Amazon both have good ones. (No experience here with BuyBuyBaby!) Target gives you two coupons—one for in person, and one for online. 

My mom and sisters threw my shower, and I requested that people bring a book (new or used) instead of a card. My work shower did the same thing. We got so many lovely books with sweet messages written inside!
  • Options
    @lexilougolden I did Amazon for my first and had no complaints! Maybe add on another with a physical presence as well if you think you may have some guests who prefer to buy things in person. I personally always appreciate Amazon gift registries because I always forget until the last minute and then need that 2-day shipping 😂
  • Options
    I kept a registry through Babylist. Loved that I could put items from literally any site on there and I didn’t have to manage multiple registries.
  • Options
    Thanks all! What about must-have items on the baby registry? Do you have products that you think every mom should have/know about?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @lexilougolden if you are planning to breastfeed, get the Hakka (with a stopper)! It’s a manual breast pump, but I mainly used it for helping gather milk from a letdown, since both breasts leak while you are nursing. And it really helped! And just in general a manual breast pump is good to have if you are in a position where you can’t break out the big pump, or want something more gentle/need to relieve a clog. i didn’t use my Hakka for this really, I had a manual medella pump that I really liked. 
  • Options
    @lexilougolden ^^^What @photographerwife said! I was going to answer the same thing. :) I really just used my Hakka to catch milk from the other side. In the early months I could get a ton that way.
  • Options
    @ninrms no joke! I didn’t get mine until a little later, and I was like, where has this been?! It helped save a supply for back to work for sure. 
  • Options
    The Hakka didn’t work for me.  :| I had a low supply so maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe this should be my FFFC since I know I’m in the minority, seems like everyone I talk to loves it!
  • Options
    @lexilougolden I got an off-brand Hakka that I used while I nursed DS2, and it was awesome. It helped maintain my supply, and it also made it so I wasn’t uncomfortable between feedings because DS2 was a one-side per feeding baby. If you get one, I recommend not using it until after your supply completely comes in. I tried using it during engorgement to see if it would help relieve some of the discomfort, and all it did was make me question my life choices lol. 
  • Options
    @ohsunnydays2 it didn’t work for me either! But I also had low supply and didn’t leak, ever.
  • Options
    @kaf1788 glad I’m not alone! 

@lexilougolden I loved the fever Freda I thermometer. I was sooo anxious as a FTM and the continuous monitoring for fevers was great!
  • Options
    JEM2014JEM2014 member
    edited September 2021
    I’ve also heard lots of recommendations for the Haakaa!  I don’t think it was around when I had my son 6 years ago - I wish it had been!!

For a registry I would definitely recommend Amazon, primarily because you can put things from any store on there, which lets you pick some things from smaller or local stores as long as they have a website. I personally love the products from Lovevery, I give the play gym as a new baby gift a lot and people rave about it (https://lovevery.eu/products/the-play-gym)! They only make a handful of products so wouldn’t have a registry, but you can add them on an Amazon registry. 

• Options
    Thanks all! What about must-have items on the baby registry? Do you have products that you think every mom should have/know about?
    I really don't. My best advice there is not to fall for the trap of things you don't need. You don't need bumpers or other crib attachments. An expensive bassinet is a waste of money as you'll only use it for about 2 months. You don't need a plethora of blankets. 

If I did make suggestions to what every parent should have? A pack n play (pretty much a bed you can take with you EVERYWHERE and lasts until at least 15 months, or more if your baby isn't a climber), a jogging stroller (they move better on all terrain), a decent umbrella stroller to store in the car, and a convertible carseat as opposed to an infant one.
  • Options
    Also if you plan on bottle feeding, request as many types of bottles as possible. All babies have a preference and having many to try ensures your baby likes at least one.
  • Options
    For labor & delivery, I highly recommend the FridaMom postpartum + labor & delivery kit: https://frida.com/products/hospital-bag-essentials-complete-kit. You can buy the essentials individually, which I plan to this time around since I still have my L&D gown and slippers, so I just need the postpartum briefs (soooooooo much better than the mesh ones the hospital gives you!), padsicles, and witch hazel liners and foam.

I also recommend a soft, cozy robe to wear in the recovery room.

For baby: I highly, highly recommend a good swaddle. We liked SwaddleMe and Nested Bean the best. In fact, she still uses her Nested Bean sleep sack from time to time. (I know that Nested Bean is somewhat controversial, but I didn't care, she loved it).

I also highly recommend the Hatch Rest+ sound machine. It's app-enabled, and you can customize your sound profile with the light that's displayed. The Rest+ has a battery backup in case you lose power, too, and I like that it displays the time as well (the standard Hatch Rest doesn't have either of those features).
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• Options
    @angelz429 +1 for depends! I bought them to use after my last pregnancy and it was SO MUCH EASIER than pads. 100% will go that route again. 
  • Options
    I really don't. My best advice there is not to fall for the trap of things you don't need. You don't need bumpers or other crib attachments. An expensive bassinet is a waste of money as you'll only use it for about 2 months. You don't need a plethora of blankets. 

If I did make suggestions to what every parent should have? A pack n play (pretty much a bed you can take with you EVERYWHERE and lasts until at least 15 months, or more if your baby isn't a climber), a jogging stroller (they move better on all terrain), a decent umbrella stroller to store in the car, and a convertible carseat as opposed to an infant one.
    Just a couple of thoughts for a different perspective: 

With my son, we used our bassinet for closer to 5/6 months than 2. He was in our room until just before I went back to work. Over this period of time it might be worth spending a bit more, but it depends what you have planned. Bassinets are also easy to buy secondhand and have good resale value. 

I fully agree that you need a travel crib, but I would NEVER buy a Pack and Play brand again. That thing is so heavy and awkward, so it’s a huge pain if you actually need to travel with it. We have a Guava Lotus travel crib, and it’s better in every way. It’s light, it’s so easy to put up / take down, and you can carry it around in a backpack. If you travel by air it’s so great, because it’s carry-on sized, so you can bring it through the airport. When my son was big enough that he wanted to move around, we used to pop it open at the gate or on layovers so he could play and move around a little without sitting on the filthy airport floor. It weighs like 13 pounds compared to 30-35 for the Pack and Play. Lifesaver!!  

We liked having the infant car seat because you can pop it in and out of the car when baby is sleeping without taking him out of the car seat. I don’t believe you can do this with a convertible. A lot of times we would go out to eat and he would fall asleep in the car on the way there, and we’d just pop the seat out and carry him into the restaurant where he’d keep sleeping for most of the meal. We used the infant one for a year or so then switched. 
  • Options
    JEM2014JEM2014 member
    edited September 2021
    babyodo said:

I also highly recommend the Hatch Rest+ sound machine. It's app-enabled, and you can customize your sound profile with the light that's displayed. The Rest+ has a battery backup in case you lose power, too, and I like that it displays the time as well (the standard Hatch Rest doesn't have either of those features).
    Second the Hatch! We love ours!!  It’s great when your kid gets older and you want to start to signal them as to when it’s time to wake up in the morning. It’s blue at night then turns yellow at 7 am. Our son knows that he’s supposed to stay in bed until his Hatch turns yellow unless it’s an emergency. Stops him from getting out of bed at 5 am and declaring that he’s ready to start the day 😂
  • Options
    New question for STM+ folks! What are some ways that have worked for your partners to not be so terrified by the birthing process? I was going over my birth preferences last night and MH freaked out, going on about feeling like he's going to be traumatized by seeing me in "the worst pain of your life". I didn't expect for him to be, like, relaxed about it, but this is a lot of feelings and I'm not sure about how to help him through this part. We are considering a doula but I think he needs more "prep work" so to speak. 
  • Options
    @chgilmore are you planning on doing a birthing class? We watched a lot of videos of births and I think it was helpful for him. A doula could definitely be helpful too!
  • Options
    @kaf1788 yes, definitely doing a birthing class together! am also thinking about a doula for sure - I've heard lots of good things