1st Trimester

Weird case of nausea and food aversions. Any advice?

Hello ladies,
I am at 6 weeks now and I m starting to feel nauseous but I m not throwing up. I cannot eat meat including chicken or fish. I feel like if I eat it I will throw up. Last night for dinner I had a giant bowl of fruit salad. This morning I m eating crackers. Anyone else have this weird nauseous feeling and not throwing up? Anyone else can’t eat meat? Pls recommend me what I can eat instead of meat? I don’t want to loose weight. I am already skinny and in shape. I feel like I will lose weight if I don’t eat meat. Thank you all in advance! 

Re: Weird case of nausea and food aversions. Any advice?

• I had a meat aversion as well.  I found that I had an easier time eating it if it was in something (like tacos or hamburgers).  So I was eating meat but was distracted by all the other flavors and textures.

Also for me, the first trimester was about making it through.  I was so sick and lost sixteen pounds.  So I just ate whatever sounded good and hoped for the best.  My Dr did give me an anti-nausea medication, but didn't seem concerned about the weight loss. But I felt much better second and third trimester.  Just make sure you bring up your concerns with your Dr and they will probably have some recommendations.  Best of luck! 
  • I had a meat aversion for most of my pregnancy with my daughter, and a vegetable aversion until mid 2nd tri. My PCP gave me a "clean"-ish protein powder that I could get down in a smoothie. (Best to verify with your OB if it's ok to take).  I was also nauseous all day every day at least until early 2nd trimester, but never threw up the entire time (minus the stomach virus I got). I was on diclegis for a long time, and that helped take the edge of the nausea, but didn't take it away completely.

Eat what you can, when you can, and don't worry too much about nutritional value. It does get better as you move out of first trimester. I didn't really start gaining weight until I was 18 weeks. 

Agree with @dobiemom11, I could eat taco meat or meat in spaghetti, because it was covered in other flavors, but plain chicken or beef was a big nope.
  • Loading the player...
  • thank you , ladies. I went to the store and bought vegan burgers. Will see if I can eat that tonight. 
  • i had a meat aversion as well. Eggs and peanut butter were my go-to protein replacement. 
  • Thank you all for your help, ladies.