Possible miscarriage? — The Bump
Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Possible miscarriage?

Hey everyone, I’m just wondering if anyone would be able to please share their experiences with me? Our first pregnancy ended in an early miscarriage back in April, which was quite traumatic. We’re now pregnant again and since yesterday, I’ve had light brown spotting & mucus. I happened to have done a blood test right before it started which indicated that my HCG was still rising appropriately. They’ve started me on progesterone pessaries which hasn’t made a huge difference. Had a scan this morning but obviously it’s too early to see anything definitive. I just want to have an answer either way but I know it’s too early and I will need to wait. But, has anyone else experienced something like this? What was the outcome? 
Thank you in advance 💕

Re: Possible miscarriage?

• @rosiesullivan I'm sorry for your earlier loss.  Unfortunately for me, every time I had bleeding/spotting it ramped up and I started cramping and I had a MC.  (5 MCs, no living children).  But, bleeding CAN be perfectly normal, especially in early PG.  You said you had a blood test done, but did you have a second one?  The only way to really tell this early on is to have a HCG beta blood test done every 48 hours to see if the numbers are appropriately doubling.  Can you call and ask for those?

Good luck.
  • katb2021katb2021 member
    edited September 2021
    Sorry about your loss. I also had a miscarriage in April at 7 weeks. This month I had brown spotting right before my period. I thought it was my period but then after two days the spotting stopped and my period never came. I took the pregnancy test and shockingly it was positive. My doctor is closely monitoring and having me draw blood to check the levels. The first time I checked it was 245 and then it went up to 1068 in two days. The next check is in a week. My doctor told me as long as my numbers are rising , it is good. Bleeding is normal during the first trimester, ask them to check your HCG and progesterone. As long as they are rising approximately, u r good. I also over analyze everything at this point and is super paranoid, especially because I m over 35. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a chemical pregnancy in March and got pregnant again before my period came - I am currently 20w4d. I had brown spotting for a few days at 6 weeks, and it turned out to be nothing. I went in for an U/S and while it was too early then to note anything, I had a follow up U/S 2 weeks later which confirmed it was viable. I would just monitor it - brown means old blood, so it could be your uterus shedding what it needs to. I actually never had my HCG checked because there was a heartbeat and baby was growing appropriately.

Good luck!