Infertility

COVID Vax/Booster During Cycle?

Hello. I am super pro-vax. Finished my second dose in Feb 2021, and I am eligible for a booster due to being on a biologic medication that affects my immune system. I know that the vaccine does not impact fertility. But I have heard reports of it altering a single menstrual cycle. Since I'm spending so much $$ on these injectables, I am a little concerned about the booster messing with ovulation or something. I'm also concerned I might have a low grade fever as a side effect, and the clinic might turn me away from a monitoring appointment. What is your experience with the vaccine (any dose) during an injectable or IVF cycle?

Re: COVID Vax/Booster During Cycle?

• I got my first shot a couple days before starting my FET cycle, and I had zero issues with that transfer happening. They monitored my cycle like usual and there was no major hiccup in my cycle at all. Then my second shot was due the day after my transfer. I asked my doctors multiple times if they had any issue with me getting either shot, like, maybe it was better to wait to get my second shot? They didn't see anything wrong with me going through with it as scheduled. They said they'd rather see me protected by the vaccine than not. As far as side effects, I never had a fever with either shot, just was tired and my arm hurt for a couple days. 

My recommendation? I would wait to get the booster until you're in a window where you wouldn't have any appointments for a few days after getting the shot, only because of the concern that your side effects might prevent you from being able to attend a monitoring appointment, not because it would affect your cycle. 
  • I just had this conversation with my dr and she said there is no reason for concern. I just had my first shot a few weeks ago and everything was right on schedule. Planning to get the 2nd in the month between our mock cycle and transfer to be safe. 

TTC Since July 2011  34 years old Unexplained IF
    3 failed IUI's, 6/2013 - IUI #4 150mg clomid, BFP, 7 weeks heartbeat, M/C at 9 weeks

IUI#5 (Oct) & 6 (Nov) 150mg clomid -BFN

Last IUI on 12/7 and that's the end of the road...onto adoption if that is what is meant to be for us.