Toddlers: 24 Months+

Almost 2 yr old refusing to go to bed for one parent

For the past week my husband has had the most difficult time getting our daughter to go to bed (I work evening shift and don't get home until 11:30 pm). When I get home she is either asleep in our bed with him, or they're both still awake and at odds with each other. When he tries to lay her down in her crib she screams bloody murder and throws her binky and stuffed animal. Nothing calms her down and she is just out of control/upset/angry. Every single night, when I get home from work, I've been able to just lay her in her crib and say goodnight and have her asleep within 5-10 minutes of being home. It's almost as if she's staying up waiting for me to get home. It's frustrating for my husband to spend hours fighting her when she'll go down for me in 5 minutes. This has put such a strain on everyone in the household and no one is getting the sleep they need (her lack of sleep is causing crankiness throughout the day, along with napping issues). Hopefully this is just a phase, but any tips/tricks would be much appreciated to get though this!

Re: Almost 2 yr old refusing to go to bed for one parent

• @knottie7e84bb38fe32d349 I know you posted this months ago, so I hope your family has moved past this stage! I wanted to share that my son started doing something similar recently, and he’s just shy of 2 (23 months). Last night, he screamed bloody murder unless I was in the room with him, but he’s been fine going to sleep otherwise. I went in to soothe him, then left, went back after 5 mins of crying, then did the same soothe and leave routine and increased the time I was gone by 2 minutes each time. I got up to 11 minutes then sat by the open door and he fell right to sleep. All of this is to say I think it’s partially developmental and/or related to separation anxiety. Tonight he started to yell for like 20 seconds then went to sleep 🤷 So, I guess I don’t have tips or tricks. I just wanted to share some solidarity.