1st Trimester

5 weeks pregnant, when to tell a friend?

Hey everyone,

I found out I’m pregnant a week ago (about 5.5 weeks) and I am so eager to tell someone I feel like I could implode if I don’t but I am also worried about telling because it’s so early! I don’t want to tell everyone I just feel like I need a friend to know!!

We don’t have an appointment for another 3 weeks so I’ll be 8.5 weeks then and I just don’t know if I can keep it to myself for that long.

How soon did you tell the first person that wasn’t your partner?

Re: 5 weeks pregnant, when to tell a friend?

• Hey everyone,

I found out I’m pregnant a week ago (about 5.5 weeks) and I am so eager to tell someone I feel like I could implode if I don’t but I am also worried about telling because it’s so early! I don’t want to tell everyone I just feel like I need a friend to know!!

We don’t have an appointment for another 3 weeks so I’ll be 8.5 weeks then and I just don’t know if I can keep it to myself for that long.

How soon did you tell the first person that wasn’t your partner?
    Its your choice! What one person does doesn't make it right or wrong.  If you feel the need to tell someone, then tell them!  You do you and what is right for you!  If something happened you have a support person to turn too.  
  • We told our parents the very same day we got a positive. I told close friends later that week, since we were going out for my birthday and I felt sick and couldn't really eat (and obviously, couldn't drink!) They knew we had been trying. We had also just come off of a loss and their support was amazing - we knew we could rely on them if it had happened again.

It's your pregnancy and your personal choice when to tell someone. I'm as superstitious as they come, but telling someone won't "jinx" anything. 
  • Loading the player...
  • At 3 months giving the big announcement to everyone! 
  • I had a loss in April .We announced on Easter to our family's. We have three kids and never had any issues. When it ended the support was great but it became overwhelming and Everytime I was around family they look at me so sadly. We decided this time to just tell one person until we get close to 12 weeks. I shared with my sister.  Everyone is different do what you feel is best for you . Congrats 👏🥳
  • Told my friends immediately LOL.
  • DH and I haven’t told anyone yet, I’m 5 weeks 2 days and we’re planning to tell our parents and his grandma around 8 weeks, gradually tell other close friends around 10-12 and then make an announcement after 12 weeks. I’m planning to tell my therapist tomorrow, which is helping because I’m definitely chomping at the bit to talk about it! lol

It’s totally up to you and if you feel like it’ll help to tell a bear friend, and they’ll stay quiet about it go for it! Congrats!!!
  • I m glad I only told one friend and not the whole world. When I miscarried she was my biggest support to get through it. I m glad I did not tell more people as I do not want people asking me how I m doing, feeling sad for me, asking me a ton of questions. This time around I did not tell a single person except my husband. I will only tell that same friend in a little bit when I feel more comfortable.
  • I have told a few close friends, they knew last time early as well and really helped me get through my miscarriage. I think if you’re comfortable talking to them about any early onset complications, then I say go for it. My girlfriends are like my sisters.