Baby Names

Is Lila a classic?

nike0828nike0828 member
edited July 2021 in Baby Names
Would you consider Lila/ Lilah (pronounced Lie-la with long i sound) to be a classic/ timeless name that could sound professional on an adult? We are considering Lila June. This feels like the most unusual name to us on our list because we typically like longer, traditional, feminine names like Emily, Natalie, Olivia, and Annelise. I think Lila sounds fresh, bright, and fun for a young girl that fits in well with other short popular names right now (Ella, Lily, Emma...) but I feel a little nervous using it for some reason. I love the name Lucy but my DH doesn't... he said he could warm up to Lila though. Any thoughts?

Re: Is Lila a classic?

• I think Lila is a classic name. I do think a handful of those classics are becoming very popular again. I’m also partial to Lucy, we have a Lucille. We called her Cece for awhile but now she’s Lucy or Lu.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I love Lila and would consider it classic and timeless. I like similar names to you. I would keep trying to get your dh on the same page for Lucy. It’s beautiful!
  • Loading the player...
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    I like Natalie and Lucy a lot more than Lila. Lila would be fine as she grows up but it just doesn’t feel as classic to me. Just throwing Cecelia out there as an option to because it is longer and classic and has a bit of the “Lila” sound. But based on your other posts I think Natalie June is a great name for you. 
  • I would say, yes. In Europe often spelled Laila, but with the English pronunciation Lila totally works.
  • Love Laila. It’s one of my favorites. I think it would grow well into adulthood. When I’m debating names, I like looking at their meanings, can help sway one way or another!