Baby Names
Options

Natalie- Will it automatically be shortened to Nat?

Natalie June is one of DH and I's top choices for names. June subtly honors my mom, grandpa, and ourselves for bday/ anniversary months. After liking Natalie, we found out it means "Christmas Day" which is also my grandma's birthday so it would subtly honor her too which we love. My only hesitation is that I like the full name Natalie but don't love "Nat". It would be totally fine for people to occasionally say "Nat" when talking directly to her etc. to shorten it but do you think it is likely that the majority of people would end up calling her primarily Nat or the full name Natalie?

Do you think Natalie needs a shorter nickname? I do love Allie and know it would be a little bit of a stretch but around the house or for close family if we think we need something shorter, do you think Allie could work from the "alie" part of her name?

Re: Natalie- Will it automatically be shortened to Nat?

• Options
    I don’t think people would shorten it, no 

As for other nicknames, my friends kids name is Natalie but she goes by Ellie (I think it’s spelled natellie) not entirely sure because everyone calls her Ellie. So yeah, alie would work as a nickname 
    Me: 29 | DH: 28
    Due: 6 Nov 2021
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    All of the Natalie's I know go by Natalie, and while we may have shortened it to Nat now and again, it certainly wasn't everyone, or all the time. So, no, I don't think people will automatically shorten it to Nat. Also, don't think the name needs a nickname.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    nike0828nike0828 member
    edited July 2021
    Thanks! That is good to hear! More experiences/ comments welcome.
  • Options
    I wouldn’t shorten it to Nat. I don’t think that’s a thing. And as long as you refer to her as Natalie, she will introduce herself as such. I would think Natty would be a possible nickname/shortening but I think Natalie is easy enough that it’s almost never shortened. 
  • Options
    mb0112mb0112 member
    I wouldn’t call a Natalie “Nat” unless they asked me to. There might be occasions where some people try it but I don’t think it is a reason not to choose the name. Natalie June is beautiful and I love all the meanings it has for you.
  • Options
    Adults probably wouldn't just shorten it like that. It's hard to know what will happen with peers- it probably depends if Natalie herself likes it once she's school age...