December 2021 Moms
Options

13 weeks couldn’t find heartbeat with doppler

Hi everyone! I had my 13 week ultrasound/doctor appt this week and they found the heartbeat during the ultrasound (169) but then an hour later at my doctor appt when the nurse tried to find it using a Doppler she couldn’t. Should I be worried? Thanks in advance!

Re: 13 weeks couldn’t find heartbeat with doppler

• Options
    I wouldn’t be worried. With my first, there were times even in the second trimester it was hard to find the heartbeat with the Doppler because I have a retroverted uterus. When is your next appointment?
  • Options
    What did the nurse say re: not finding it?  

You had a good ultrasound an hour before the appointment. While it's not impossible that something could happen, I would think that it's highly unlikely and baby was just in an odd position. Do you have a home doppler? You could try finding it yourself to see if that reassures you and if not, I would call your doctor and explain how you are feeling. It's a simple enough thing to order another ultrasound just for your peace of mind and I'm sure there's some way they can code it where it gets covered by insurance (if yours is picky and/or high deductible/coinsurance).

If they say just get over the anxiety, I would just find an ultrasound boutique and see if they can give you a scan - or maybe go into the ER and see if they can do anything. Having one extra ultrasound is no big deal as far as safety goes; I think being this stressed out about it is much more risky. You don't mention if you are FTM or STM. If you are FTM (congrats!), you can take this as your first lesson in learning to advocate for yourself and your child. Be the squeaky wheel!
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."