Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Successful Pregnancy following a Miscarriage

Just wondering how many of you were able to have a successful pregnancy following a miscarriage? And if so, how soon did you wait until you started trying again? 

Currently going through my first pregnancy which has just ended in a missed miscarriage at 5W, 5D but my husband and I want to start trying again as soon as my body has had the chance to recover. 

Thank you in advance. 

Re: Successful Pregnancy following a Miscarriage

• @sgaines0913 Your doctor should tell you how long to wait before trying again, based upon your specific circumstances.  You should definitely wait until after your first AF after MC before attempting pregnancy.  Usually they will track your HCG down to 0 as well.  (if not, again, it is SUPER important to wait until after your first AF after MC to attempt PG).

I have had 5 MCs and no successful living babies, so I am not the success story you are looking for.  However, I will tell you that I am more of an anomaly, and not the norm.
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• @sgaines0913 seconding what PP said. Every doctor is different with their recommendation. Some will say to wait 2-3 cycles to give your body time to regulate to a more normal state. Others say to wait until your first period after MC just so that there's no confusion over whether or not a positive test is residual HCG from the previous pregnancy and/or due to retained product of conception. And some will say to wait until you feel ready to start trying again.

I'm not a success story... yet. Currently on cycle 7 after my loss, but we've been dealing with IF for 4 years now and have a few obstacles/issues that make it a bit more difficult to get pregnant so I'm not surprised we haven't conceived yet. We knew we wanted to get started again right away as it had been a surprise natural pregnancy that we didn't think was possible. Originally we thought we would need to transfer more embryos to conceive but the pregnancy gave us hope we could conceive naturally instead. I did "try" right after the MC in that I happen to take an OPK a few weeks post-MC and got a positive so we did have sex a few times but obviously that didn't work. 

I do have a friend who had a 2nd tri loss and conceived right away so anything is possible. GL!
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • Loading the player...
  • I am very sorry for your loss. I had a chemical pregnancy in March. My HCG tracked down to 0 pretty quickly but I didn’t get my period. However, I knew when I was ovulating and decided to take a chance (this was end of April) and I’m currently 8
    weeks pregnant. I am still extremely nervous and anxious, but I did get pregnant again almost right away. 

• I am so sorry for your loss. As the PP have said, your doctor will probably have advice on if/how long to wait before trying again. I had 2 early losses and got pregnant again immediately following the second (my doctor did not see a reason to wait), we did check and supplement progesterone due to having had two losses. I was a nervous wreck the whole pregnancy, but now she's a wild two year old. So it can happen, but I would absolutely follow the advice of your doctor. 
  • katb2021katb2021 member
    edited August 2021