September 2021 Moms
Options

STM+ Weekly Check-In, Week of 4/1

How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 
How are your other kids doing this week? 
Rants/Raves: 
Concerns/Questions: 
GTKY: What's something hilarious your kid says?

Re: STM+ Weekly Check-In, Week of 4/1

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 2 (3 on Tuesday😭) and 5

How are your other kids doing this week? Pretty good... we’ve been trying to get the house ready to sell so they’ve been watching more tv than I’d like and being a little more naughty 😂 the 2 year old is now telling everyone that there’s a SMALL baby in mommy’s tummy because “she ate it” 😂😂😂😂

Rants/Raves: there’s so much going on right now with cleaning and minor fixings on the house plus Easter this weekend and DS2’s birthday and my SILs bridal shower next weekend. It’s after 4 here and I’m ready for a short nap. 

Rave- our realtor wants to list the house at $40k MORE than my best case scenario so that’s amazing. 

Concerns/Questions: Nothing I can think of right now

GTKY: What's something hilarious your kid says? Besides that mommy ate the baby... actually both of them are pretty darn funny most of the time. DS2 is really only starting to get more command of language so the ways he describes things are funny. He told me poop comes out his “poop tunnel” the other week 🤣🤣🤣

@chewie5990 CHUG IT! 😂 I think we’re going for another infant seat this time just for ease. My kiddos don’t last very long in it before they’re ready for the convertible but I’m thinking the not disturbing naps and carrying inside will be worth it. Sorry about the pumping situation :( pumping was always super frustrating for me. Could you get some donor milk for the last bit?

@muggsd oh wow another lockdown? Do people actually follow rules in Canada (unlike the US)? People here are still butt hurt over the last time and everything is actually increasing in capacity here. I’m in rural PA though (ie Republican country) so people don’t even follow the mask mandate fully here
  • Options
    @chewie5990 he’s getting ready for frat life real early 😂

@whatabout2ndbreakfast some do, some don’t. My area is more rural so people feel a bit safer and therefore don’t follow the rules (hence the spike). I imagine in the Toronto area people are more receptive cause it got REAL there. There are also the Facebook crazies who think it’s all a hoax, although I think they are everywhere 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    @chewie5990 We intended to use a convertible with my first from the beginning, but I found it really difficult to secure a newborn in the seat even though it was rated for babies as little as 4 pounds (Maxi Cosi Pria 70). We ended up borrowing an infant seat from a friend for the first 3 months or so, then I switched back to using just the convertible and was fine doing so at that point. I'm not sure if I'd have the same issue not being a first-time mom this time, because I do think some of it was new mom nerves, but when they're so squishy and floppy the convenience of being able to carry them into the house in the seat, or secure them into the seat before leaving the house was more useful than I expected at the time. When we were out and about, I preferred to transfer my tiny baby directly to a carrier on my chest instead of using a stroller or carrying the car seat, but transfers in and out of the house were preferable in the bucket seat. I'm sorry about your struggles with nursing during pregnancy! During my son's first year I had non-pregnancy related low supply, and put a lot of pressure on myself to make it to a year regardless. I ended up supplementing with donor milk until he was one, and then I think I remember we switched to goat milk before cow's milk? The details are fuzzy in my memory, and I'm not 100% that I would do the same thing again. Pressure to breastfeed or make it to a certain point is real, and while fed is best is super accurate, I get the hard feelings that come with what you're dealing with! After we hit 1 year, I remember nursing being even more enjoyable because the pressure to be exclusive was gone and the time limits/goals were gone. We ended up making it to about 18 months gradually tapering off and had a lovely mutually agreed upon end to nursing. 

How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 1 6 yo boy

How are your other kids doing this week? Decent, it's almost time to start signing up for summer camps, and after spending the past year at home, with our local vaccinations ramping up and with masks required at all of the camps I'm considering, I'm planning to enroll him in a few and start gradually reintroducing him back into society this summer. I'm feeling a lot of guilt and apprehension and fear about it, but I NEEEEEED the break/to be able to work more normally, and though I know we won't be at herd immunity by summer, I just hope that our vaccination rate will start to slow the spread in my area very soon so that we can start a gradual transition back to "normal" before school starts in the fall. 

Rants/Raves: I'm just tired, I can't even think of anything specific.

Concerns/Questions: 

GTKY: What's something hilarious your kid says? I can't think of anything right now, but he's pretty funny!
  • Options
    @chewie5990 I definitely loved the ease of the infant seat, especially when it was raining or when I'm trying to get kiddos out the door (so it's one less to deal with). And my kids would always wake up when I tried to take them out of it so being able to leave them in while napping worked best for me. 
    @muggsd I know Ontario's lockdowns have been the worst, but dang I wish my province had a different PHO. They decided to open everything up after 3+ months of lockdown when cases had started going UP. We now have the 2nd highest number of the Brazilian variant in the world, only topped by Brazil. The PHO finally gave in and mandated masks in school this week. Feel like summer is gonna be rough this year!

How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? DD 3.5, DS almost 2!
    How are your other kids doing this week? DS has slightly improved in his 2 year old-ness. DD is generally great until bedtime (when she's Daddy's problem muahaha).
    Rants/Raves: Rave: long weekend means an occasional break for mom! Also it could just be a coincidence, but my spotting is gone while taking progesterone so I'm hoping that means it's working! Rant: after waiting 3 weeks for my MFM appt, they called me to confirm my upcoming appt, then called 30 minutes later without leaving a message. I only discovered by accident that they switched my appt to the following day without even notifying me.
    Concerns/Questions: do you think it's bad if I don't tell ppl who used to be good friends (until recently) about baby until 3rd tri (via social media)? I kinda feel like, unless you're involved in my life, you don't really need to know? 
    GTKY: What's something hilarious your kid says? DS walks around saying "rhea! Rhea!" This is actually short for "diarrhea".
    DD's daily rendition of Let It Go may include:
    "Let the strawberry John!" (Let the storm rage on)
    "To test the lagers I can do" (to test the limits I can do)
    Also when we were walking yesterday she said excitedly while pointing, "Saliva rocks!" It was lava rocks.
  • Options
    We have always for sure liked having the infant seat, but if we end up doing 3 across in our car then our infant seat won't fit since it's on the bigger side..I just hate to spend $200 on a new infant seat that will only be used for less than a year since this is for sure our last kid...but I don't know..$200 might be worth the convenience. 

@whatabout2ndbreakfast @Aerialmrs I didn't even think about donor milk - I might try and go this route for the final 2 months! 
  • Options
    ageaagea member
    @sleepydaze I don’t think it’s bad at all. We won’t ever announce on social so unless you’re a close friend of hear via the grapevine, you probably won’t know before bebe arrives. We still haven’t even told all the important people in our lives at 17w mainly because we’re just in less communication with people. And also because were like that with baby news.

How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 
    2: 4&2

How are your other kids doing this week? 
    Our big one has been home all week for spring break so we feel bad he’s done SO MUCH tv while we’re working. Ready for him to go back to school. They’re both wild and doing just fine.

Rants/Raves: I managed to get H’s vaccine appt moved up so he got his first shot tonight! I’m so relieved.

Concerns/Questions: 
    how many of you are in another BMB on Facebook? Is it a good group you’re hoping to emulate here? Or a drama filled one?
    Do you remember at what stage the migration occurred? I can’t recall.
    my current BMB is fantastic.

GTKY: What's something hilarious your kid says?
    my little one has started saying “mummy you’re the meanest” and “you’re the meanest daddy” whenever he’s wronged, which is obviously often. It always makes me laugh and is definitely learned from his older bro.
  • Options
    @agea my facebook group was wonderful it kind of fizzled out around when the babies hit about a year though.  There was a lot of drama while it was on the bump which resulted in 2 groups forming.  Someone created a facebook group and only invited people they deemed "worthy" and about a week later someone who was in that group realized not everyone was invited and created the second group with everyone which resulted in them getting kicked out of the first group. 
  • Options
    @agea going strong with a select batch from my March 2019 BMB. The app was way mlre
    Dramatic than the Facebook group. We had one mass exodus on Facebook (by mass I mean like 5 people including an admin) but other than that one incident it has been a drama free and fun group for sure! We removed over in February right before (most of) our babies were born. 

How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? DD is 2 

How are your other kids doing this week? she’s great! such a hoot. total wild woman.

Rants/Raves: tomorrow we’re going on a little Easter egg hunt at a local farm! I’m excited for the photo ops. I’m still on the fence about Easter Sunday with my parents since they are often way more reckless than we are with Covid. At least they have antibodies if we do decide to go. Vax dose 1 tomorrow evening. Here goes nothing! 

Concerns/Questions: none 

GTKY: What's something hilarious your kid says? - we always say “hi baby” to her so now she’ll come up and hug us and say “hi baby”. She also says “ohhhhhh so sweet” which she totally got from me. Last but not least - “eyes and ears and mouth and mose” we LOVE mose. and WXY & Z she says “dah-boo bex Y & Z” - I could go on and on. She’s at the perfect age for saying funny things. 
  • Options
    @agea I'm still super active with my D15. FB group and it's drama free (there were a few moments in the beginning, but not in quite some time) and we still have about 75 active members. I'm also active in my May20 FB group - it's a lot smaller and so far drama free.  With the D15 board we didn't move to FB until after the babies were born, but my May20 board moved to FB around the third trimester 
  • Options
    @agea my S16 group went strong until the kids were about 2 years old. Then there was some drama and it split into two groups. I’m still involved with one group and they’re still part of my daily support system. We’ve had a few pre-covid meet-ups. M18 wasn’t a good fit for me on the app so I’m not sure how they’re doing.

@chewie5990 I’ve always struggled with the pump. In my case the thought of stopping was always way more difficult than the actual act. I think it’s because I struggled to supply enough the whole time, but I always felt really freed from worrying about supply and nutrition and more able to focus on my babies and their overall health. 

@deziraywatt I get so tired of all the changes with covid rules too! How are people supposed to stay safe when the goalposts keep changing?! It all makes my job so much more difficult, and it prolongs all this crap for all of us!

How many kids do you already have, and how old are they? 2 girls. DD1 is 4, and DD2 is 2.5

How are your other kids doing this week? They’re alright. Wayyyy too much screen time this week, but I’ve been exhausted so it is what it is. We have them in soccer shots and they’ve been doing so well playing with the other kids- which is a big relief since they’ve been pretty isolated throughout this pandemic.

Rants/Raves: love that my kids are big into accessories. They love their masks because they’re very much more-is-more with their little outfits XD.  Hate that work is still horrible. So many covid patients still. It’s honestly getting boring- nothing ever changes. It’s the same course in varying degrees of severity every patient every time. I have seen a few vaccinated patients and the length of stay for them is so much shorter than we used to see- and that’s really exciting. It scared me at first, but then I remembered that we had patients who would show up mostly dead or be immediately intubated before, and these are likely the patients who would have been in that position based on their health histories.

Concerns/Questions: nothing right now

GTKY: What's something hilarious your kid says? My kids both speak pretty well, so we don’t get a lot of funny words anymore, but they both have the best expressions and expansive hand movements. They speak with their entire bodies. DH sent me this that the 2yo said while I was at work: 

“DD2, trying to describe where DD1 is (the spooky cave):

She in the pooky cave (little hands scrunching up) and I have to go find her, but it’s pooky in there!”
  • Options
    @agea Still active with April 2018 BMB! We moved to fb a month or two before babies were born. There’s still posts almost every day and it’s been drama free the entire time. I think only two people left the FB group. The support there is wonderful esp since I don’t have a whole bunch of mom friends off the Internet lol. 

@cassafrass123 pooky cave😂😂 I love it
  • Options
    @cassafrass123 thanks for sharing your experiences working in the Covid unit! It's interesting to hear how things are (slowly) changing with the vaccine rollout. The news about high-risk Covid patients with better outcomes is very encouraging, thought still sad that they need the care at all. Do you think they are seeing fewer long-term effects from the disease if vaccinated?
  • Options
    @Aerialmrs I do think they are having fewer long term effects based on what I’ve seen, but I’ll be interested to see the data. My area is still going very strong with cases though vaccination rates are also going strong!
  • Options
    ageaagea member
    We were just talking to our neighbor today, he’s a doctor, something like a rehab pulmonologist. He was telling us how dismal everything still is and we were talking about how frustrating it is for people to say it’s over. He’s also seeing plenty of recently vaccinated or partially vaccinated patients that are quite sick.
    I’ll be happy when me and H are both fully vaccinated + 2 weeks out in about a months time but it’s a good reminder to not get too comfortable or let our guards down too fast. As disappointing as it is to hear.
  • Options
    @agea We're definitely working hard not to let our guard down at least until we're fully vaccinated. I get my second dose tomorrow, so I'm about 2 weeks out, and DH is a week behind me. I just wish we could get going on these pediatric vaccines (especially J&J since my understanding as that this may go more quickly for peds).