November 2021 Moms
Options

GTKY 3/29 (Work)

marbelliemarbellie member
edited March 2021 in November 2021 Moms
What do you do for work*? Is it what you thought you would do or trained for?

*This of course includes the hard job of being a SAHM.

Re: GTKY 3/29 (Work)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    mkp0903 said:
    I’m an ER doctor. I always wanted to be a doctor, except for a very brief time when I was 5 and wanted to be a vet. It’s all I’m trained to do, and I mostly love it (other than in Pandemic times). 

@sthlm_21 my degree is in biochemistry and molecular biology...obviously I don’t actually use it, but I enjoyed bench work in undergrad. 

@marbellie I’m curious as to why you might move to Canada (if it’s not prying). My husband works remotely for a Canadian company and we routinely toy with moving there, but I don’t know if I want to go through licensing stuff and learning how to work in a completely different system. 
    Not prying at all. My husband is from Quebec originally (moved to the States in middle school) and I'm an adventurer so we're kind of like "why not?". Especially now that we have a son and plan for more, the more European work and political culture up there is attractive (less hours for full time work, longer parental leave, more affordable housing market, affordable colleges, subsidized daycare, etc). 

Do you know what you would have to do to get licensed up there? Mine would include learning a whole new legal system (civil rather than criminal) and passing french language tests lol.... So I'm not doing it!
  • Options
    @doodleoodle in my imagination I toyed with the idea of becoming a school teacher just to not let my babies go lol. How long did the preschool teaching last for you?
  • Options
    marbellie said:
    @doodleoodle in my imagination I toyed with the idea of becoming a school teacher just to not let my babies go lol. How long did the preschool teaching last for you?
    I worked at a small private preschool. The school year began just after Labor Day until mid May. There were 10 spots in each class and two teachers in each classroom. My first year I was in a 4 year old classroom, I really enjoyed that. My second year I only worked until the end of January as I gave birth to baby #3 in February. I really enjoyed the opportunities to go to early childhood development conferences and other trainings. I would have likely gone back this year if not for the pandemic. Side note- if not for all of the different arts and crafts ideas I learned from the preschool teachers there then I don’t think I would have made it through this past winter with my sanity. 😂 

10/10 would recommend 
  • Options
    @marbellie I looked into a little bit. I might be able to get licensed through the equivalent of a family medicine certification. ER is a separate specialty here, but not there. I would have to have done an equivalent level of training, which is either 3 or 5 years. I did 4, so I think I could do the non surgical route. I stopped looking into it after that because it made my head hurt. I’d also have to learn how to function in a nationalized healthcare system. I then asked my husband if he would be making enough money that I could just be a SAHM...unfortunately, no...haha. Maybe someday if we feel super adventurous. I think my husband will be happy when the border opens back up and he can go to meetings in person again. His office is in Calgary, so at least I wouldn’t need to know French. 
  • Options
    @usedtobeknottie what’s a PSW?
    Me: 29 | DH: 28
    Due: 6 Nov 2021
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    @usedtobeknottie what’s a PSW?
    Personal support worker. It’s kind of specific to where I am in Canada, but basically a nurses aid is what I think you’d call it in the states. 
  • Options
    KNB1027 said:
    I am current the director of 2 SAMHSA grants at a community mental health agency working with transition age youth ages 18-25 and individuals coming out of crisis centers or hospitals after being hospitalized for substance use or suicidality. By degree I am a Registered Nurse and have done hospital work but prefer community mental health - it is kind of what I trained for but has expanded my role into management. Every day is an adventure and I love it!
    You’re doing such hard and meaningful work ❤️ 
  • Options
    cd1122 said:
    I'm a financial controller. Always liked accounting, weird I know. It'll be interesting to see how work and motherhood gets balanced. Just got a new job in December so a bit worried to tell my company I'll be out at the end of the year!
    I love accounting too! Hoping to get hired on in a finance position soon! *fingers crossed*
  • Options
    @cd1122 I just started my job in February so I feel you on the nerves about telling them about pregnancy! 
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    I’ve been a SAHM since my youngest was born almost 5 years ago. Prior to that I was a PreK teacher. I currently substitute at my boys school and I love it. I’m going to miss it once this little one comes! 
  • Options
    Best of luck @sliztee ! So fun to have a fellow accounting need on the group 😉

@jackie_dunny let me know how yours goes once you do it. I'm hoping won't be to big of a deal my new company is pretty relaxed!
  • Options
    @cd1122 @jackie_dunny I just started a new job this month! Bad timing with our embryo transfer on 3/11, Im not looking forward to letting them know either.
  • Options
    @cd1122 @chartput I’ve already told my boss and one of the lead scientists who runs my area. They were really cool about it and not at all upset. In fact, they just reassured me that me and baby are still safe despite working with chemicals. And I didn’t even have to tell them I was worried, they just both said it which was nice 
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    @MaximumEffort thanks to you and the other frontline workers! My FIL is an RN at a hospital in NY for what was the first COVID dedicated floor and it was very very sad
  • Options
    @MaximumEffort and @jenniferjoy37 bless you both for the hard work you do and have done during COVID. I hope your hospitals are taking good care of you!
    Me: 34 DH: 43
    Our Journey for #1
    2014 -- Started TTC casually
    2017 -- Discovered MFI but didn't move forward with treatment due to expense and grad school
    Spring 2019 -- Started with RE and confirmed MFI 
    Fall 2019 -- 3 cycles of Clomid and TI, 3 BFNs, discovered hostile cervical mucus was also contributing
    Spring/Summer 2020 -- 3 cycle of IUI, 3 BFNs
    Nov 2020 - First IVF with 3 little frosties, had to change to freeze all due to OHSS
    Feb 16, 2021 - FET #1 - BFP! Beta #1 100 Beta # 2 541 EDD 11/4/2021