Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Miscarrying

Well... I lost the baby at 6 weeks. I’d be over 9 now but went in for my next us last week and found baby was only measuring 6+1. I did just start to spot yesterday but only enough to notice when I wipe after using the bathroom. So I used it’s been about 12 hours since it started and things have not picked up. In fact since I went to bed and woke up to use the bathroom there was nothing through the night or when I went to the bathroom. Has anyone had much experience with a natural miscarriage? It seems most I’ve seen go the d&c route. How long did it take to start actually progress? 

Re: Miscarrying

• @griffonmama I’m so sorry you are experiencing this. 

My baby stopped growing at 6+3. I found out at just over 7 and confirmed at 8. I would have been 9 weeks yesterday. I tried waiting a few days for my body to start on it’s own and nothing. I took Misoprostol Friday night. I slept most of the night and at 7am passed everything (I think, will confirm with ultrasound Wednesday). 

For me I wanted to avoid a d&c at all costs. Naturally would’ve been my first choice but I just couldn’t mentally go on for weeks like that. I’m happy with my choice and my experience was as good as it could’ve been with the Misoprostol.
    TTC History:
    Started dating DH 2006 . Married 2015

TTC July 2015-November 2015
    BFP November 2015
    Baby boy born August 2016

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

Back on BC for a year to decide what we want to do.

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

BFP September 2022 - Due June 2023!

• Yes I am going with my midwives suggestion to avoid the d&c and let my body do it naturally. I guess we will see how today goes? Thank you! And I’m so sorry your going through this as well’ ❤️
  • Loading the player...
  • Also what would be considered the date of the miscarriage? The day the baby stopped growing? The day you started bleeding? The day you finished? 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
  • @griffonmama I've had 5 MCs, one had a D&C, and 2 were early CPs.  But I had 2 natural ones around the 6-7 week mark.  Actually for me, I ended up bleeding and cramping, which was my first indication of MC.  If you've started spotting, my guess it could be within the next few days that it will pick up.  If it's your first PG/MC, your body may be uncertain as to what is going on, and can take it a bit to 'figure it out' and get things moving.  I'd definitely give it a week or so to try and let things move on it's own.  However, I'd make sure you check in with your midwives, especially if it starts to be more than week with no indication that things are actually starting up.  Then you may need to jump start it with medication or have a D&C.  

As for dating purposes, I used the first day of actual bleeding (like you would with your period).  As of now, your body is still sort of operating as though it were PG.  Just be warned that you'll probably experience some wonky cycles in the upcoming months, as it can take 6+ months for your body to regulate out to a 'new normal' after a MC.
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• Well I started spotting Saturday evening and now Monday things still have not progressed so far. I have had a very small amount of spotting here and there but it’s been so little I wouldn’t have even needed a pant liner so far. This is pregnancy # 6 for me. I had 3 children and then an ectopic. Then another child and now this. It’s super weird too because some of my symptoms like sensitivity to smell and the way things taste are still present but the nausea and the frequent trips to the bathroom and the food aversions are gone. Also the baby stopped growing at 6+1 and I would be 9+4. So the spotting also started at like 9+2. I guess it’s just weird like I’ve spotted a little so I feel like my body has caught in but it’s not progressing anymore so 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
  • I’m going to be getting my rhogam today too so I’m going to talk to my midwife about what else I can do. I thought about like going for a run or something but 🤷‍♀️

And that’s a tough one for me to gauge cause would you call it the day you started spotting or the day full on blessing occurred? 
  • @griffonmama I'd count day-on bleeding.  But, honestly one of the best things you can do is get a basal body thermometer and track your temperatures.  It will let you know when/if you O next and when you can possibly expect your next AF.  Since cycles can be so wonky after a MC, I highly recommend them.  I wouldn't worry too much about the 'exact' date though, unless you really need it for some reason?  

You're still feeling some of the symptoms like sensitivity to smell/taste, because you still probably have a decently high HCG number in your system.  It can take a while (months sometimes) for that number to drop below 5. 

*I am no medical expert* but at this point, unless you have something else going on health-wise, go for the run!  The only reason my work-outs slowed/stopped during/post-MC was because I suffered from depression from my recurrent pregnancy loss (always worse with the hcg still in my system, hightening my emotions), and the fact that I continually had to take time out of my schedule for HCG blood draws to track my HCG down to 0, doctor's follow-ups, etc. so I had less time. 

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

• @griffonmama I'm sorry for your loss. My MC at 8 weeks was natural. I had brown spotting for 4 days and then on the 5th day in the morning it was like a light flow period and was red so I called my OB and was scheduled to be seen at 1:45 later that day. Around lunch time I ended up passing the tissue. My appointment ended up being to confirm if there was anything left in my uterus. They saw nothing so they said I was in the middle of a MC.

Personally I considered my MC to have occurred on that 5th day (a Friday, so brown spotting started Monday) when I passed the tissue although I did appear to pass additional tissue 2 days later on Sunday. My MC happened pretty fast and I was just always measuring behind vs finding that growth had stopped at a certain point.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • No I don’t really need to know I was just curious. I can’t honestly remember why I was so curious about the actual date. I guess maybe for cycle purposes. I know it’s silly but I just have always gone with what my period tracking app says and call it good 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷‍♀️😂
  • I’m sorry for y’all’s losses as well. Thank you for the support and info! 
  • @griffonmama If going with your period tracking app is what you wanna do, so you don't have to obsessively track, then no problem!  Just as long as you're aware that sometimes cycles don't return to anything resembling 'normal' for months after a MC (i.e. your app may say your period is due and it may not show up for several weeks, because you O'd later than you 'normally' would), then that's fine!  

I just know some people like to track for the few months following, while they're benched so that they have a better idea of what's going on with their bodies, and when to expect AF again.  Then when they TTCAL after that, they can know if they should test because their tracking shows they O'd, or if they just O'd late and so testing would be fruitless and they shouldn't stress out and should just wait.  Because TTCAL (as I'm sure you know) can be uber-stressful.  

• Yes actually I’ve thought about trying to track my cycle somehow but I’m one of those that’s so clueless when it comes to my body I feel like I’d never be able to do that. I even know women who say they can feel the egg release. Like they have a slight cramp on that side if they really pay attention and they can tell you when! I on the other hand couldn’t tell ya! Even when it comes to monitoring changes in discharge or things like that I’m just like 🤷‍♀️ It all seems the same to me! I can say prior to having children and even through my first 3 children post birth with all of them my cycle did return to normal. Getting pregnant never took long and I always started the day I thought I would even down to the time I day it was always the same. I never had any pms symptoms and would just start and then finish and it was great! After the ectopic which came after baby number 3 things never were the same. I’d start days after or before my app would say I’m supposed to and I would actually have pregnant symptoms like frequent urinating and nausea and then I’d start a few days later. Also it was harder to conceive baby number 4. After her birth it took a year of trying for this baby that has resulted in miscarriage. I’d like to not have to try for another year for our next and I have no idea obviously if my cycle will be any better or any worse then now 🤷‍♀️ 

All that said... I know this isn’t your thing so I’m really not trying to throw my religion and such in your face but what I personally believe is that...

my entire life is in the Lords hands. I believe that if it’s His will it will happen and if not I don’t want to try to force something that isn’t His plan for me. I know a lot of people don’t agree with that so they won’t really understand where I’m coming from but that is just me and my view! Not that I don’t still want to try for more babies and do what I can but I just simply don’t want to get all caught up in a need to really track things and know exactly when everything is supposed to happen and all that..
  • @griffonmama Read Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  You will learn SO much, even if you decide to not track afterwards.  It's at least nice to have a better idea of how things work done there / what's 'normal' and what's not. There are a lot of stories of what women have been through in there as well. MC definitely can mess with your cycles.  Sometimes they go back to your old usual, sometimes they are wonky and then create a 'new normal' for you.

Taking some time off after a MC is usually good.  Good luck!

• Thank you for all the helpful info! I’ll look into that book! It would be nice to have an idea at least of how things go! It’s amazing how clueless we can be about our own bodies! 
  • Well my midwife called back today about my blood work results. I guess my progesterone was only 4.3. I’ve never had a problem with that that I know of but I asked my midwife and it could have caused the mc. Also my hc was still a bit high buys obviously nowhere near where it should be. I think it was 36.5k or something which would be about the 6 week range. 
  • @stormageddon-darklordofall which thermometer is a good one to use? I think I decided to try that but I don’t want to get something super fancy and expensive but there are so many choices and I don’t want to waste money either!
  • Mabis was the 'gold standard' a while ago, and I know people have gotten them through amazon and other online sites.  I got a 'fake' Mabis one at walmart though for my first one and it worked fine as well.  They're mostly just $10-20.  And I borrowed the book I recommended from my library, so if you can try that avenue to read up and learn without having to fork out cash!

• Yeah I actually found it on the library online. A friend of mine actually has read it too! I look into that! Thank you! 
  • griffonmamagriffonmama member
    edited March 2021
    Well it was twins 😢 they said they were di di. How they missed it in the other us I don’t know but I’ve been in the er today with heavy bleeding and was told it was 2 😔