1st Trimester

Measuring Behind -- Dates NOT Off

Hi, I know that versions of this question have been asked a million times, but I haven't quite seen the answers I'm looking for. I've had two ultrasounds now, both measuring behind. At my 6w2d ultrasound I measured 5w5d. At my 7w2d ultrasound I measured 6w4d. There was a week's worth of growth in between, which is good, but I'm still measuring consistently a week behind.

And before you say, "Maybe your dates are wrong and you ovulated late," that's not really possible. I got a BFP at 10dpo, so if I ovulated later than I thought, it could only be by one day, MAYBE two. 

Also, there was no fetal pole at the first ultrasound, and there was just the hint of one (and hint of possible heartbeat) at the second one. That would be pretty normal for 5w5d and 6w4d (where I was measuring), but not so normal for 6w2d and 7w2d (where my dates put me).

So I don't know whether this is a case where I'm measuring a week behind because a.) this isn't going to be a viable pregnancy, or b.) because this bean is just a little slow to get started. Has anyone had a similar experience of measuring behind but knowing for sure their dates were accurate? How did it turn out?

Thanks! xx
History (TW/loss/child):

7/2017 -- miscarriage at 6w
5/2018 -- DS born 3 days after due date, 8lb 4oz
9/2020 -- missed miscarriage at 9w / DNC
3/2021 -- miscarriage at 8w
7/2021 -- missed miscarriage at 8w / DNC
9/2021 -- IVF cycle #1 (FET 1/25/22)

Re: Measuring Behind -- Dates NOT Off

• mdwiny said:
    Hi, I know that versions of this question have been asked a million times, but I haven't quite seen the answers I'm looking for. I've had two ultrasounds now, both measuring behind. At my 6w2d ultrasound I measured 5w5d. At my 7w2d ultrasound I measured 6w4d. There was a week's worth of growth in between, which is good, but I'm still measuring consistently a week behind.

And before you say, "Maybe your dates are wrong and you ovulated late," that's not really possible. I got a BFP at 10dpo, so if I ovulated later than I thought, it could only be by one day, MAYBE two. 

Also, there was no fetal pole at the first ultrasound, and there was just the hint of one (and hint of possible heartbeat) at the second one. That would be pretty normal for 5w5d and 6w4d (where I was measuring), but not so normal for 6w2d and 7w2d (where my dates put me).

So I don't know whether this is a case where I'm measuring a week behind because a.) this isn't going to be a viable pregnancy, or b.) because this bean is just a little slow to get started. Has anyone had a similar experience of measuring behind but knowing for sure their dates were accurate? How did it turn out?

Thanks! xx
    And you know when you truly ovulated by??????
  • And you know when you truly ovulated by??????
    Well, I was scheduled to ovulate on 1/20. I got a BFP on 1/30. So I couldn't have ovulated much later than that.
    History (TW/loss/child):

• Loading the player...
  • meggyme said:

Your body doesn’t really operate on a calendar. If you are consistently measuring behind you “scheduled” ovulation date you likely o-ed later than whatever your app told you and you got a really early bfp. Unless you were temping or being monitored by an RE you likely have no idea when you ovulated. Also, even if you ovulated on a certain day it could have taken a few days for that fertilized egg to implant and start growing.
    Okay, I hear you. But I already got a pretty early BFP at 10dpo. The earliest BFP I've ever heard of is 7dpo, which means the absolute latest I could have ovulated is only 3 days off, not a week.
    History (TW/loss/child):

• @mdwiny Why don’t you share your chart so we can get a visual of when you got a shift and had a change from fertile to non fertile CM. I don’t want to see a calendar with predictions. That means nothing. I want to see your BBT chart. You should have this if you know the DPO you got your BFP. 
  • I feel like I'm not being heard. I got a BFP on 1/30. Which means the *latest* I could have ovulated is 1/23. There's just no debating that. I believe I ovulated on 1/20--and yes, that's an educated guess based on OPKs, symptoms, etc--but even if I'm wrong, it's just not possible that I'm off by more than 2-3 days. 

To put it another way, if the ultrasound measurements were an accurate way to work backwards to my ovulation date, that means I ovulated on 1/27. But I could not have ovulated on 1/27 and gotten a BFP three days later.

Which, to go back to my original question, means I have a pregnancy that is growing but is consistently at least 5-6 days behind schedule, if not more. That's why I'm looking to hear others' experience with that.
    History (TW/loss/child):

• I acknowledge that I could be off on my ovulation date by a day or two. And that means I would be slightly closer to measuring on schedule. But that would also mean I got a BFP at 7 or 8 dpo, which is extremely rare. I'm not saying it couldn't have happened, but since it's so unlikely, I'm looking for people who have stories of measuring behind for different reasons.
    History (TW/loss/child):

• I get BFPs that early. It’s not as rare as you think. The best you can do is wait and see what happens. The US itself can be off by several days. They aren’t 100% perfect. The point we are all trying to make is that you can’t know exactly when you ovulated because you haven’t been tracking in a way that would give you that information. Ask for blood work to see if your betas are doubling. That will give you the information you need to know. Without an actual chart with your BBT, I can’t help you and neither can anyone else. 
  • TW..... To answer your question, I have had  good results from a similar scenario.  with my oldest  son, I was pretty sure of O date, and had a super early bfp, at like 7 days.  I was measuring about a week and a half behind, at my 2nd ultrasound  (at 8+ weeks) the growth had caught up.
    That being said, I have also had proper growth and had losses, so unfortunately,  there is no way to know.  I hope it works out well for you 

• I get BFPs that early. It’s not as rare as you think. The best you can do is wait and see what happens. The US itself can be off by several days. They aren’t 100% perfect. The point we are all trying to make is that you can’t know exactly when you ovulated because you haven’t been tracking in a way that would give you that information. Ask for blood work to see if your betas are doubling. That will give you the information you need to know. Without an actual chart with your BBT, I can’t help you and neither can anyone else. 
    I'm not asking anyone to help me, or diagnose what's going on with me. I just asked for other people's stories.
    History (TW/loss/child):

• holly321 said:
    TW..... To answer your question, I have had  good results from a similar scenario.  with my oldest  son, I was pretty sure of O date, and had a super early bfp, at like 7 days.  I was measuring about a week and a half behind, at my 2nd ultrasound  (at 8+ weeks) the growth had caught up.
    That being said, I have also had proper growth and had losses, so unfortunately,  there is no way to know.  I hope it works out well for you 

Thank you for sharing your experience!
    History (TW/loss/child):