July 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 02/17: Bottles

Today we are concluding our 3-week Baby Feeding Products sequence. We started off with breast pumps and accessories, then discussed formula, and today's topic will apply to both pumping and formula-feeding mamas: bottles. 

For something so basic, there are a million types out there! Please help with any guidance you can!

Suggestions for particular brands? Particular shape or set-ups like inserts or nipple attachment thingies? Advice on nipple flow? Do you use different types as our babies grow older? Is there a difference in bottles for formula vs. bottles for breastmilk? Are different kinds of bottle recommended to manage any conditions in our babies like reflux or nipple confusion? And what kind of accessories do we need for cleaning and/or sanitizing and/or storing bottles? Any tips on cleaning?

A common piece of advice is to stock up on just a couple of bottles from various brands in case your babies strongly prefer one over another (rather than spending a fortune on a full cupboard of one particular brand), but what should those brands be and what to look for? What's an appropriate starting-point for FTM to prepare while pregnant? Is this something you can normally find used or second-hand? Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

Re: Product Spotlight 02/17: Bottles

• Options
    I am probably not the best one for advice as my son never took a bottle. But I did lots of research as a FTM and ended up purchasing comotomo and the boon nursh bottles. I quite liked them. Maybe this baby will like it. That's all I got. I think he had 2 bottles in his entire life unfortunately. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Options
    I'm in the same boat @AKuzReve - DS drank from the Avent bottles when he was 2/3 weeks old and then never again and then liked the Tommee Tippee bottles when he was a bit older (9/10/11 months) when we would have a babysitter, otherwise that's it.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We used Dr Browne's glass bottles, our daycare despises them because they are glass but oh well never provided them with anything different HA HA
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    We used some avent and dr brown’s bottles, with extremely limited success. Luckily we never had to rely on them. 
  • Options
    We used munchkin latch because I had read somewhere that the nipples were more “breast-like” than some other kinds, which I found to be mostly true. We liked them, they were easy to hold, easy to clean and DD loved them as well. There is a valve in the bottom of the bottle that supposedly helps with colic and air getting into it. We never had any issues with that so I’m not sure if it was due to the bottle or just a lucky break. 

We only breastfed for 4ish months and supplemented during those months, and then switched to strictly bottles and that’s all we ever used. I will likely use the same ones this time around if baby takes to them.  
  • Options
    My kids liked Avent best, we had a bunch of different kinds. DD was a preemie and couldn’t go home until she was able to eat without not breathing, and the Avent preemie nipples saved us

• Options
    My daughter never really had issues with bottles. We started with the Medela bottles and nipples but switched to Comotomo after a few months. Those were great! She used them until she completely switched to solids. 
  • Options
    We used the avent bottles with no issues. We stayed with a newborn size nipple the entire time since the flow of milk from my boobs doesn’t change over time. We will probably need to just replace the nipples since they are 5 years old