Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Mental Health Check-in February 2021

This is a safe place for more detailed support in mental health, struggles, and successes.

U.S: National Suicide Prevention :  1-800-273-TALK [8255]

Chat option:   https://chat.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/GetHelp/LifelineChat.aspx

Link to Canadian Resources:  https://suicideprevention.ca/need-help/

This is a safe space for discussing your mental health. Whereas general stress and issues are often discussed in Rants/Raves of the Dailies, this place is for a more focused discussion of the impact of mental health.  Members are encouraged to use thoughtfulness and depth to examine feelings, barriers, and useful supports. 

This post can be replied to at any time during the month. Not limited to those with a mental health diagnosis, but please be sensitive to others. We will attempt to be as flame-free as possible!

Feel free to share, vent, or support other members on this thread. Share a picture/gif that expresses how you feel or provides some comfort. 

If you need help getting started, consider filling out the form below:

Mental Health Diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today?:

Status (WTO/TWW/Benched/TTA):

Where are you in your mental health journey? (in treatment, looking for support, on meds, in counseling, having a rough day, etc.)

How are you feeling?

Re: Mental Health Check-in February 2021

• Options
    @keikilove thank you so much for posting this resource/space for others! Mental health is so important right now, especially during this crazy time. ❤️
  • Options
    So, I’m just posting here for a safe place to rant about things. I have a family member who is struggling with depression right now. They asked me to make them an appointment for therapy. They feel too overwhelmed to do it themselves. So it took me the past TWO days talking with their insurance, looking up providers on their insurance website, and HOURS on the phone yesterday calling providers. Had to leave mountains of messages, as most people don’t answer. Finally got a few people on the line who said their first availability is several months out. Finally begged someone to work with me, as it’s fairly urgent, and she said that if I pay out of pocket they can get my family member in much sooner than scheduling it with insurance. ??? So I took that option. The intake appointment is still one week out, and the actual appointment with a person who can prescribe meds (if needed, which they very likely are needed) is still two weeks away.

I am grateful she offered the out-of-pocket trick to be seen sooner. But that took two days out of my life just to get something scheduled. How in the world is someone who is actually going through depression or anxiety supposed to be able to navigate that process?! My family member would’ve given up way sooner if they’d had to deal with that themselves. I understand that providers are booked up due to the general stress in the population thanks to Covid. But man! It makes me really sad & frustrated to think of all the people who can’t get the help they need. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @keikilove ugh that's awful! My experience was not as bad as you've described, but it was such a hassle trying to start seeing a therapist through DH's EAP program. It was confusing because you could look up providers on the EAP website but you could also call and they'd provide you a list. And some of the instruction on the website seemed to indicate that I needed to start the process with the phone call anyway? Because there's some code your therapist needs to provide when they bill the EAP so your first 3 visits were free. At some point it occurred to me that the list I was given doesn't necessarily mean they're also covered under our medical insurance so then I spent idk how long cross referencing between those 2 websites finding someone who was covered by both. Oh my goodness. I think it was 3 months between the time I got a list of EAP covered providers and when I finally narrowed it down to whom I should call and first schedule an appointment - which still was almost a month later. Granted I don't think I really looked at the list for the first month to month and a half but it was still hard to get through each step to having an appointment scheduled. I can't even imagine how much of an effort it would take someone with such deep depression that they can't get out of bed, brush their hair, or shower to navigate the process of finding a provider their insurance covers, calling, and getting on their schedule.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • Options
    @inthewoods23 Thanks for commiserating, friend. It felt exactly like what you just described. So confusing! And the insurance person did advise me that I would have to call each place to “make sure they really are still participating with your insurance plan”. So much work! I can’t believe you were able to sort through that and find yourself a really good fit—so lucky! I took the first therapists I could get, but I have a feeling my family member may not exactly “vibe” with them. One is the opposite sex, and one is quite old, so we shall see... 
  • Options
    @keikilove I'm pretty sure they gave me the same speech too to call and make sure they're still participating! Oye. I've considered maybe looking for someone else because most of my sessions lately seem to be more "how are you doing, how are things going" vs spending the time thinking about tough issues and helping me think differently. But at the same time, do I really need to relive my childhood traumas and feelings? Probably not, I think just over time I've learned to accept things and know the kinds of things and situations I should avoid to protect my mental health.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • Options
    @keikilove wow, my fertility acupuncturist had mentioned that it’s really hard to find a therapist right now (she was looking for one for her daughter) but I had no idea it was that difficult!!! Thank God your family member has someone like you who, not only could navigate these obstacles, but also understands the importance of mental health, which is not something everyone is “blessed” with. Sending you virtual hugs of appreciation!

@inthewoods23 like @keikilove said, it’s amazing you were able to find someone who’s a good fit after jumping through so many hoops. 
    MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2
    Me: 40.5; MH: 39 | Met 02/2009 | Started Dating 08/2017 | Married 02/02/2020
    TTC #2 ... preparing as of March 2024

TTC #1
    Me: 36, MH: 34 | Met 02/2009 | Started Dating 08/2017 | Married 02/02/2020
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022
    2009 | Dx PCOS; likely a misdiagnosis
    07/14/20 | Dx Hashimoto's Thyroditis
    07/21/20 | 1st RE appointment
    07/2120 - 08/20/20 | so much testing; no signs of PCOS
    08/20/20 | Dx Unexplained; AMA
    09/08/20 | IUI #1 Clomid + Trigger + Prometrium | BFN
    09/30/20 | Urology consult; more testing required
    10/2020 | Clomid + OPK + TI + Prometrium | BFN
    10/26/2020 | Starting 2nd IUI cycle, with Letrazole and with a new RE / different clinic
    11/03/2020 | New Dx "poor egg quality"; IUI cancelled in favor of Trigger + TI + Prometrium | BFN
    11/26/2020 | Combo IUI (Clomid + Menopur) + Trigger + Prometrium | BFN
    12/20/2020 | Combo IUI (Clomid + Gonal-F) + Trigger | IUI Cancelled due to thin lining; TI only | BFN
    01/14/2021 | Combo IUI (Letrazole + Menopur) + Trigger | BFN
    02/06/2021 | Switched to a new RE (TEW) ; trying naturally until we complete additional testing 
    03/14/2021 | Hybrid Double IUI, with Zymot (Letrazole, Gonal-F) + Trigger + Endometrin | Ovulated 4 mature eggs but still a BFN ☹️
    04/07/2021 | Natural cycle while we regroup | BFN
    04/09/2021 | Employer announces fertility benefits starting 05/01/2021! | Search for a new doctor who accepts insurance
    05/10/2021 | New RE consult & plan for IVF
    05/13/2021 | Mid-luteal IVF cycle #1 interrupted; had to get cancer genetic screening done to make sure I didn't have the same SDHA gene mutation as MH. 
    06/10/2021 | Aygestin priming IVF cycle #1; opted to Cx after 9 days of stims since only 5-6/12 follicles responded
    07/26/2021 | Attempt #2 at IVF cycle #1 (mid-luteal start): 8 retrieved, 8 MII, 6 fert (1 PN3), 3 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 3AA, 3AA, 6AB; 3 euploid
    08/09/2021 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC | Shockingly, a BFP! EDD: 5/25/202 | CP at 4w4d
    09/23/2021 | IVF cycle #2 (mid-luteal start): 14 retrieved, 13 MII, 11 fert, 5 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 2 x 3AA, 2 x 3AB, 3BB; 2 euploid
    11/12/2021 | IVF cycle #3 (mid-luteal start): cancelled due to ovaries being on vacation
    12/20/2021 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC + Pregmune Immunology Testing; BFN
    01/22/2022 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC + understanding uncovered immunological issues; BFN
    02/18/2022 | Mock transfer cycle! ERA, ReceptivaDx, EMMA/ALICE; start Prednisone to address NK activity
    03/16/2022 | Final, "Hail Mary" super-ovulation + TI cycle before FET; BFP! EDD: 12/21/2022 | MMC 05/08/2022
    05/20/2022 | D&C; recovering... 
    06/21/2022 | Trying naturally until October 2022
    07/21/2022 | BFP! EDD 04/02/2023; 👦🏼 born on 4/5/2023

• Options
    @keikilove @inthewoods23 Unbelievable the amount of hoops you have had to jump through and how confusing the process can be! I was thinking about this all week and now realize I'm pretty lucky -- I'll put it in a spoiler.

So last Friday I spent the entire drive to work crying uncontrollably in my car - it had been a bad morning and going to work just seemed impossible. Anyways I decided that I need to get some help - I've been generally struggling with work, but realizing how much I take it out on MH and bring all the stress home it just pushed me to finally seek a change. Plus the TTC stress doesn't help of course. Anyways, I sent a message to my primary care doctor asking for a referral, and her office set up a virtual visit with me. After the initial contact it took almost 5 days for the to reach out to me to set up the appointment, which I was annoyed about because I thought "If I was in worse shape this would be too long." 

But anyways, I had the visit this morning and she told me that her office (it's connected to a major hospital in the area) has a coordinator that will refer me to 2-3 therapists that will work with my insurance, my personal preferences, and are taking new patients. I just thought how lucky I am to have this compared to what others have to go through to get some help.