June 2021 Moms

Gestational Diabetes Support

2»

Re: Gestational Diabetes Support

• welp I failed my 1 hour test by a smidgeon....First of 3 pregnancies and I've just known from the beginning I have GD. I go for my 3 hour test in a few days and I'm so sad about it.
  • @mrs_massie sorry you failed the one hour! Why do you think/feel like you have GD since the beginning? Has something get different with this pregnancy? 
  • Loading the player...
  • @mrs_massie Sorry about the fail! Hope the 3 hour goes well! I also started to worry about my blood sugar when I felt like I needed a nap 1-2 hours after eating. Never a good sign...
  • @klj0228 Carbs or sugar has made me fill sick and just crappy since early on this pregnancy. I also don't feel well early in the morning before I've eaten or drank anything if I move around too much. I just feel weak before eating in the mornings. I brought it up to the Dr. when I was 18 weeks, but she said she wasn't concerned about it because I haven't had it in past pregnancies, my A1C was perfect and there's no glucose in my urine tests. I know there's a chance I'll pass the 3 hour, but something has told me for weeks that I have it and I have always passed my 1 hour tests before 
  • @mrs_massie thanks for sharing! I was really just curious about what was making you feel that way. I can see how those things add up for you. It’s great you’re so on top of what seems different this time.
  • Well I got an email from the lab they send the GD test to (who knew I had an account there? Lol)  and it looks like I failed the 1 hour.  Guess I wait to hear from the doc later today for next steps.  
  • @ellieemc26 Oh no! Hope you pass the 3 hour if that is the next step! 
  • @ellieemc26 Boooo....hopefully the next test goes better. About 10 minutes until my last blood draw, need a massive lunch and a nap
  • @akoros thats how I felt after my 1 hour test, I got home and fell asleep with my work computer in my lap, sitting up straight in the chair lol
  • since my 3 hour test isn't until Monday, I started taking my blood sugars at home out of curiosity. So far they've been pretty normal and I havent changed my diet yet. Just eating how I normally would. I wonder what made my 1 hour test off?
  • @ellieemc26 I’m sorry! I kind of prefer to read the results myself before they call me so I can process and be prepared with questions. 

@mrs_massie that’s great your sugars have been normal at home this week. When is your 3 hour test? 

I am continuing to be mindful of what I am putting into my body. This is something I should always do anyway. No matter the results of my 3 hour next week I need to continue being mindful of what I eat. 
  • 30 minutes into my 3 hour test and I feel awful. Hot, shaky, sick....I hope this isn’t a sure sign I have GD
  • @mrs_massie I got dizzy and shaky about 30 minutes after the drink (and kid was going nuts, which didn't help). Didn't get hot, but the waiting room was also frigid. The good news is that it passed, the rest of the time I was just cold and bored.
  • @mrs_massie I feel like crap too! I am almost two hours in and feel like I am going to throw up. My Drs office is freezing today so I’m not hot, but my stomach is turning circle. The OB just told me I could go sit in my car so I can take my mask off so after this blood draw I’m going to do that
  • @klj0228 they put me in a private office so I can relax, take my mast off and just hang. I put my feet up on a second chair, but man I wish I could lay down. I’m almost done and feeling better now, but getting VERY tired
  • @mrs_massie I went to my car for the last hour. They did offer me an exam room, but the chairs in there aren’t very comfortable. I felt so much better without a mask and just being in my car. Fingers crossed we both get good news today.
  • @klj0228 I should know today...They told me no news is good news, so I'm hoping the phone doesnt ring
  • Boooo.....I go here :(  Have an appointment on April 5th to go over diet and everything.

I was really enjoying not tracking/obsessing over my meals for once (I've done it for years), and not looking forward to all the finger sticks. Oh well...
  • @akoros oh no! Aww I’m so sorry you go here and that your GD testing didn’t work out for you :( 
  • @akoros I'm so sorry! I have some low carb meal ideas if you need any.
  • @akoros sorry you are here! It seems like you're in good company though, so hopefully that makes it a bit easier.
  • Well, just got a phone call that I failed my one hour last week. 😭 to be honest, I was a little surprised just because this is my fourth kid and I’ve never failed before. I’m super bummed out and definitely feel like this is my fault because I’ve been a sugar holic this pregnancy. I did have two donut holes the morning before the test (I had my blood draw at 4:30 pm though) so maybe that was it?? Ugh. I am nervous for the three hour. My level was 134. My docs threshold is 130 but I read some docs put it at 140. So hopefully I’ll pass the three hour 😖
    Trying to Conceive TickerMe: 41 DH: 42
    💙 DS1- 12/2011
    CP - March 2014
    MMC - Sept 2014
    💙DS2 - 10/2015
    💙DS3 - 5/2017
    💖DD due June 6, 2021
  • @mamakate2011 the threshold at my Dr. was high 137 so you would have passed here..This is my third baby and I too never failed my one hour tests. Good news is, I passed my 3 hour test with flying colors, so not sure why I failed my 1 hour. Fingers crossed you pass your 3 hour too! I will tell you the extra sugary drink for the 3 hour isn't really worse than the 1 hour, but the first hour after you drink it, I felt like such crap. I couldn't make up my mind if I was hot or cold, nauseous or OK, wanted to sit down or walk around the room....I put on the calming and meditation station on pandora and just closed my eyes and listed and started to feel better after the first hour.
  • akorosakoros member
    edited March 2021
    Question: I decided to start tracking my food intake today, recalibrating my meals to fit the carb targets the nurse told me. Overall I was told to aim for 150-180g/day. This basically means I need to add ~50g of carbs to what I'd originally planned to eat for today....does that sound right? Kind of confused, since I thought the point was to eat fewer carbs?

I do have an appointment to discuss diet in a couple of weeks, but figured I should at least try to get in the habit while I'm waiting. Just seems weird that I need to eat more than I was (on non-weekend days, I realize our current pizza habit would blow this all up).
  • @akoros I am in the same boat. My numbers have been low since I started tracking them, I think mainly because we eat low carb most days and then have pasta or pizza night occasionally. I see my OB and MFM next week, so hoping they can give more guidance. The thing I have to watch with eating low carb is to do good snacks, so my blood sugar doesn’t get too low. Let me know if you need ideas for snacks. 
  • @mrs_massie thank you for the warning about the drink!!! I am afraid of the nauseous cold/hot feeling. I remember feeling that way after I drank the glucose test with my first. I’d worked myself up so much over it that I think I felt worse because of it, ha! I plan to bring headphones and my iPad so I’ll definitely remember to listen to the calming meditation station. Thanks for the tip!!! 💕
    Trying to Conceive TickerMe: 41 DH: 42
    💙 DS1- 12/2011
    CP - March 2014
    MMC - Sept 2014
    💙DS2 - 10/2015
    💙DS3 - 5/2017
    💖DD due June 6, 2021
  • @ramzlau Snack ideas would actually be really helpful. Yesterday I ate our last Chobani and my "bedtime snack" was the dregs of a bag of brownie crisps (I know, I know, but it fit the carb count) so I'm kind of drawing a blank. Most of my snack ideas either have too few carbs (i.e. cottage cheese) or are straight carbs (junk food). 

I got my actual results from Labcorp. Looks like my fasting glucose reading was perfectly fine, which I guess is good (I'd think that would be harder to manage?), it's the 1-hour and 2-hour where it was a bit high. I'm also hoping that this means that overall I haven't been doing too much damage since my regular diet is already lower on carbs/sugar, so it's more the one-off shocks that I can't handle well?
  • @akoros It was my 1 hour and 2 hour that were off too! I was hoping someone would look at my numbers and tell me what they meant, but they were just like you go here now. Here is your meter for monitoring, and here are meal plans. Is it overkill to think of making an appointment with an endo? 

Here is my snack idea list, I add to it as I think of something and keep it on my phone for days that I am drawing a blank and wanting to reach for junk food. It’s not a great list yet, with 3 snacks a day there is a lot of repeats still, but it has worked for this first week at least. 
    • Apple w/ nut butter 
    • Nuts 
    • Boiled egg w/string cheese 
    • Raw Veggies w/ hummus 
    • Baked Sweet potato
    • Granola w/ Greek yogurt
    • Grape nuts cereal (or cereal w/ high fiber)
    • Cottage cheese w/ veggies 
    • Larabar or RX bar 
    • Protein shake 
  • @ramzlau Thank you! Need to work on building out my shopping list for next week. I know it'll get easier over time as I get used to it, but for now it's really helpful to see what others are doing. So far my only idea has been to cook up a bunch of brown rice and portion it out, so I can supplement our lower-carb dinners when needed. 

I'm going to pepper them with questions. Luckily I have my 28-week appointment two days after my GD appointment, so if the NP doesn't give me much info then I have another shot when I see the OB. 
  • You could try to find a Registered Dietician Nutritionist (RDN) they are typically very knowledgeable about this stuff. They can help guide you on meal plans and ideas. Also, a diabetes educator could be good.

If you are on an employer sponsored health plan check with them. They may have these resources available to you at low or even no cost. 
  • @ramzlau maybe? Or at least maybe ask about it? I've been tracking for all of 12 hours, so some of this is hopeful thinking that could easily be blown to bits, but since my fasting and post-meal numbers are fine (83 for fasting this morning, 95-106 so far for post-meals) I'm hoping this means that I don't have much to worry about as long as I don't go too wild on my diet. The glucose test pumped me with about twice as much sugar as I normally eat in a whole day, which is highly abnormal. Since I normally don't have that much, hopefully my sugar levels have generally been low enough to not cause any problems for the baby, and just keeping an eye on things will keep me at good levels. At least, this is the logic I'm going to run by the NP/OB....

@klj0228 That's a good note, thank you! I'm still waiting to talk to my doctor's office about it, but can think on it more once I get past those appointments. Mostly I'm struggling because I haven't gone shopping yet this week, will probably do better once I actually get some GD-friendly food in this house.