April 2021 Moms

Migration?

Now that most of us are in the third trimester and we acknowledge we technically could see members of our group give birth at any point now, is anyone ready to move to Facebook? (Or to an alternative method of communication) 

Re: Migration?

• I am the epitome of anti Facebook, but I'm open to Slack or similar. 
  • edited February 2021
    And yes, it's probably time to talk about migrating or at least making a private group. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Let's do it! My last BMB had us post a pic with our bump, our TB name written on a piece of paper, and a random household item (like a form, comb/brush, whatever) for screening purposes - in the new platform with the request to be admitted. There were probably 60-70 women in my last group and 4 admin who organized it. Idk if anyone cares to be an admin for whatever platform we go with. Should we do a poll or have some discussion? What are the alternatives to FB we're considering (although I do prefer FB, personally).

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• edited February 2021
    I know Reddit, Slack, Teams, and Discord off the top of my head.

Teams would be my last choice, Discord or Slack probably my first.

@kvh22, we did the same thing...Since we were January 2020, we did a selfie with us holding a Christmas item, a sign with your username on your bump, and your due date. 
  • I am with @aisukurimsarang. I HATE FB and don’t trust putting anything personal there at all.  I am in the “please go for slack or a private BMB” camp. 
  • I prefer fb because I’m already on it and I’m way more active in something I don’t specifically have to open to check in. (I’m still active in DS’ bmb on fb and he’s 4) I’m open to other alternatives though, and I know my activity here hasn’t been super involved so I may not even be included which I understand. 
  • I second the pro facebook opinions. I already use FB and feel like if I open another social media account I will just have too much to check: the bump, facebook, instagram, gmail, texts, whatsapp, etc...  Then again I want to keep an open space for all the ladies in the group. 
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    edited February 2021
    Can someone explain how we would use something like Slack? Is it similar to FB with posts you can comment on or just ongoing chat? I have access to Slack at work but only ever use it for chat. I feel like we would miss out on something by not having a post+comment functionality but maybe slack has that and I just haven't used it? In my last BMB we also eventually created messenger threads which are just chat and super fun but that really took off after the babies were born. The option for both would be great IMO. I use Teams for work and find it atrocious. My pure hatred of it plus my concern that I would end up in the wrong thread and post something meant for the BMB on a work something or other makes Teams a hard "no" for me. I still have that fear for slack but I don't use slack much for work and don't have it on my phone so I just wont get it on my phone for work lol.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• This is what my Slack group looks like:
    (Note - My Bump name was FyreFlyeRush before The Knot deleted the account. I've also blocked out all personal names) 

Home Page

Threads (Updates)

A post example 

• Strong preference for Facebook over here just for ease of use/participation purposes.  

Several of us from my 2018 BMB ended up there, and the people who weren’t comfortable joining with their “real” profiles created fake ones with stock images. 
  • Another vote for migrating, and another weirdo with an FB preference. My J14 and D16 bmbs are active there and I’m afraid I’d ignore another platform. 🙈
  • I’m pro-Facebook for basically every reason already stated. I’ve never even heard of most of these other platforms though, so I have zero opinion on them.
    My BMB with DS migrated only about 35 to start with and it was tough to keep up, so these big groups of 50+ some of you mention give me social anxiety lol 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also vote for Facebook just because I already use it for my other BMB.  I would be willing to try another platform but I doubt I would be as active.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @rexnie I really do not like the idea of someone creating a “stock” account just to join us. The whole point of moving is to share more of who you/your kids are so I would be very, very against someone creating basically an alias account.
  • I would also be pro fb. I personally am not interested in adding another platform, but respect whatever decision is made! 
    @juliebird6 I agree with you on that.
  • bblair24bblair24 member
    edited February 2021
    My July group started with probably 60 or 70 and over the years (8 years now! 😯) we are down to the 40s due to various conflicts. My December group was never as big. 

I really love being fb friends with all of those ladies, too. Makes it so much more real and being able to keep up with them is just the best!

ETA not saying this wouldn’t be the case on other platforms - I’m just not familiar with those. Just my two cents about Facebook! 
  • I also would vote for Facebook, since I already use it regularly and would probably never use something like Reddit. But I'd go with whatever the majority wants. 

Maybe we could do a Facebook group for those who are interested, since it sounds like there's a lot of us who prefer Facebook. And then we can do a private bump group for anyone who doesn't want to be on Facebook? I don't know the best way to go... I definitely don't want to leave anyone out, but it sounds like a lot of us would be most active on Facebook and that's kind of the point of migrating. 

I've started to type responses to some threads lately and then remember that these are technically public that any family member, etc. could come across and then it's delete delete delete haha. The closer we are to baby arriving, the more I'd prefer to share in a more private setting. 
  • @rexnie I really do not like the idea of someone creating a “stock” account just to join us. The whole point of moving is to share more of who you/your kids are so I would be very, very against someone creating basically an alias account.
    I'm personally really glad the group was open to it! The woman who still participates with a mock profile shares pics and personal details of her and her kids in the group, has met another group member in person, etc... she just doesn't want to be publicly identified by a profile picture or link her 600 closest friends to a profile, you know?
  • Definitely up for migrating & I’d throw my vote in for FB for all reasons mentioned (personally use it the most being the top reason haha)
  • I’m up for migrating as well and have a strong preference for fb. My other bump groups are there so I use it mainly for that. Peloton groups and my kids’ school
    groups.  I 100% know I would not use another app... I struggle with even the bump! But also am totally ok with what the group decides if fb isn’t the ultimate choice.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I’m really excited by the idea of migrating.. it took me forever to figure this app/site out and still have trouble all the time. TB app can be a pain and between my kiddos distance learning and hubby working from home, there’s scarce amounts of time for me to get the computer. I, too, prefer FB as I’m active regularly there and use it the most but definitely wouldn’t want to leave anyone out either. I’d go with the majority as well but hoping wherever that is, it’s easier than here and opens things up to be more personal while having privacy as well. 
  • I quit FB over privacy concerns long ago. It ended up being those concerns were valid. But, I also know how rare it is for people not to have FB accts. I've been unable to complete job applications because I left that space blank and it won't proceed. I even had one interviewer not believe me when I said I don't have a social media account. 😂

While I won't be following, I have no issues with the group migrating to FB, and will post updates to Zoe's entry into the world here for anyone who checks it. 
  • I'm not partial to any particular platform. I have a fb account, but I rarely check it because for me it's mostly people from HS wanting me to buy their latest pyramid scheme or something. However, if the majority migrates there, I would participate. 

I agree with @theblondebump, maybe we could do both a fb group and a private BMB? That way whoever wants to participate wherever they're most comfortable can. I could see myself potentially participating in both. 
  • @kvh22 that would be a great experience, especially for me as a FTM without very many mom friends in my circle here. Like I said, I plan to participate wherever the majority wants to go. 
  • Okay, so sounds like a Facebook group and a private bump group works! 

I'm happy to be a "admin" to help organize, any other volunteers? I know how to set up a Facebook group, no idea how to set up a private bump board.
  • Yes, by all means, someone who has done this process before should feel more than welcome to take the lead! I'm just here to help in any way! If someone wants to create the private bump group and then we can go from there, that sounds good to me. And I agree with having multiple checks in place to avoid randos
  • ^agree that we should have some sort of "approval" system worked out and not just let in every single person who suddenly says they are due in April. It should be handles we recognize from people who are regular contributors. My other BMBs have done similar "love it" approaches and then gone straight to FB with the screener there (submit a picture, some sort of unique word/item so we can eliminate as much stranger danger as possible).

I'm missing something about the private bump board idea though. I don't mind if we go that route first before another migration to FB, but even in a private board on the bump, I don't think I'd be comfortable revealing much more identifying information that what I already share here. I wouldn't post my face, pictures of my kids, likely not any sort of birth story or anything about this baby. Would others? I know a lot of our group doesn't really participate in HDBD - would you if we have a private group here? Or what is the real benefit of creating another spot here, other than for the people who don't want to join FB? Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the goal. 
  • @kvh22 I think the more ways to screen the better and like your ideas. You just never know anymore and some people are bona fide professional at it. I’d rather we be overly careful than let a catfish in that later makes us all feel exposed and uncomfortable in the group. 

@theblondebump I’m clueless about the private bump group set up, but googled it. Lol. Popped right up. Someone needs to make it and then they’re the “owner of the group” according to the rules, they share the name and will accept or deny requests into it and then the rest can be done from there it looks like. 
  • @juliebird6 I think the private bump group idea is to not only have a little bit more sensors of a space for those that don’t want to go to FB but want to share more than they do here and also allows another screening step process to get to FB with hopefully no stranger danger. Randoms on the internet can’t view private groups they haven’t been accepted into. I just tried clicking on one of the private groups to be sure and it doesn’t allow you to view anything before you’ve joined the group which requires approval from the person that made it from my understanding. 
  • @juliebird6 My Jan 2020 board went private around this point, then migrated to Slack. So, it's just like a stopping point. It also allows those of us can't be paid enough to use FB at least still participating in the birth part of our journey. 
  • Big vote for facebook- my other BMB is on there and it's so much easier to check since I'm already active on there. Like others have said, I probably won't check another type of forum but also understand if that's the way the group wants to go! 
  • Agree with the extra security precautions; the internet can be a really weird place and I'd like to keep out as much of the weirdness as possible. 
  • I am ready to migrate! Would love to see someone/some people (with prior experience) step up and start the group and instruct us how to join since the migration process with the screening/identity verification seems a little complicated. 
  • I am an admin for my July 14 FB group, but wasn’t at the very beginning. So I can’t remember exactly how we got things going. I think we messaged (through TB) the determined admin to tell her our FB name. Then she told us her name and sent us friend requests. Maybe because the FB group was private we had to be friends with someone in order to join it. That was in 2014 so it’s all very hazy by now. 😂 I’m happy to help if I can though! 

I think we also had a screening process for being allowed in the fb group. Lots of rando lurkers wanted in that had never once commented on the boards. Nope. 
  • @kvh22 I agree with your outline! Just for reference for whoever starts the private group, with 5 love it's, is that an automatic "accept" into the private group?