Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Natural Missed Miscarriage 8 Weeks, no progress

Edited to shorten the length and remove some personal details.

Hello. Looking to see if anyone has a similar experience. After we found my baby stopped growing at 8.5 weeks - a missed miscarriage - I decided to let things progress naturally rather than schedule a d&c. I've since had one follow up appointment and chose to continue waiting. Now, I'm approaching 8 weeks with no signs of progressing toward miscarrying naturally. Now, I plan to consult with my doctor further about misoprostol or d&c. It's very trying emotionally and mentally at this point. I haven’t read of anyone who’s gone this long and I read that by 46 days, 91% of women have completely finished miscarrying. Anyone have a similar experience?

I'd like to add that I'm not here to debate whether or not I have waited too long. These are simply the facts of the matter and I'm having a hard time with the harsh criticisms that come naturally with being vulnerable on the internet.

Re: Natural Missed Miscarriage 8 Weeks, no progress

• Options
    @shelbyjlo I'm really concerned that you've been waiting 8 weeks for your body to attempt to START to MC naturally.  Especially since the baby stopped developing a few weeks before that.  You've been waiting 10 weeks for your body to think about maybe wanting to start MC.  That can NOT be good for you.  I'm appalled that your doctor has waited so long to attempt to jumpstart your MC or tell you to have a D&C.  You NEED to call your doctor. You NEED to get medication to jumpstart your MC or you NEED to have a D&C.  I know many, many people who've taken weeks/months to have their HCG levels return down below 5 following a MC.  I know many, many people who've had to have a D&C following a natural MC (with or without medication to jumpstart it) because tissue was retained.  I've not heard of someone waiting 2 1/2 months for their body to attempt to do something it apparently has no plan to do...
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• Options
    Thanks @stormageddon-darklordofall my waiting has been with my doctors consent and I’ve considered myself being patient and reached out here for anyone with a similar experience
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @shelbyjlo I'm sorry for your loss, but I've not heard of anybody waiting more than a week or so before their doctor's either gave them something to jumpstart the MC process, or had a D&C.  I'd just be very concerned at this point to have waited so long.  I'd definitely urge the medication or procedure at this point.  Honestly, I've had 5 MC and no living children.  4 of mine started naturally, so I have no experience with the medication.  But I did have 1 D&C and honestly that was the easiest/best MC experience I had out of all of them.  It was a simple procedure, almost no bleeding/pain, and it was very helpful emotionally for me.
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• Options
    I am sorry for your loss.  But..., I have to agree with @stormageddon-darklordofall.  With my first loss, I was 14 weeks, when we found out the baby had passed 5 weeks earlier.   My doctor strongly urged a d&c, since obviously my body wasn't getting it, and bleeding was a concern.  He wanted to do it the day we found out.  I had a couple of early losses, then a few years later, I found out I lost the baby at 7 weeks, at 8 weeks we confirmed. And it seemed like I was starting to miscarry, but still had to have a d&c 2 weeks later.  It was horrible being pregnant with a no longer living baby, and I honestly couldn't wait for my d&c, as horrible as that sounds.  

I can't imagine this being good for your body, and while I don't understand your hesitation for surgery, I have had 10+ surgeries in my life. 3 were d&c's, and they were honestly not a big deal.   There was very little bleeding, and hardly any cramping.  It was physically easier than the early natural miscarriages i have had. 
  • Options
    @holly321 i am eager to have the process move forward and I don’t regret having waited to attempt the natural route. Thanks for your helpful insight.
  • Options
    I’m so sorry for your loss, but thankful you wrote this. I was supposed to be 11 weeks pregnant with an empty sac that she said looked more like 6 weeks. I talk to my doc about options in 2days. I don’t like drugs and have had surgery on my back, knees twice and orbital bone and don’t like surgery, none to me are small, but your post made me see I should probably not wait. God bless you, strong and courageous young lady!
  • Options
    @rachaelynn77 this is all very difficult and I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. If you haven't yet made a decision and I can offer any insight, I'd be happy to share what has happened since my original post. I feel for you! 
  • Options
    I have always miscarried on my own and quickly. I am so thankful. I understand not wanting a D&C. 
  • Options
    I went in for my 8 wk check up/ultrasound on Feb. 15 and we were informed that the there was no heartbeat. My Dr said I could wait 2 wks for my body to naturally miscarry and if it didn't, then they'dneed to intervene for fear of infectio/sepsis. It never did, so I chose to take the medication (misoprostol). I took it March 5 and after 7 hrs it started to kick in and things started moving. I'll go in on Monday for an additional scan to make sure everything passed and if not then they'll perform a D&C.