April 2021 Moms
Options

Hospital Routes

@mamabee1113's experience reminded me of something FTM should definitely have in hand... A Hospital Route Plan, and if necessary, a back up hospital.

Make sure as you enter the third Trimester you know exactly how far the hospital is, multiple routes, where you can find road closures, and where L&D is located.

Also, depending on how far away you live, you should also find the nearest location you can safely deliver. 

As a 4TM, I completely forgot to do the last one. I moved 60m plus from my hospital, and realized trying to get there in an emergency, like a fast labor or placental abruption,  isn't going to happen. Like the old saying, any port in a storm... Any hospital with an emergency staff is your port, but ideally one with an L&D. 

Re: Hospital Routes

• Options
    @aisukurimsarang YES. And find out where L&D (or ED) is if you’re set to deliver at a bigger hospital. 
    I have also been partial to having a small emergency “go bag” in my car starting in 3rd tri with the bare essentials just in case. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @aisukurimsarang Good reminder! I’ve moved since my last as well and am just now realizing it’s a totally different route and further, so thank you! I think I’ll get “go bag” ready too like @mamabee1113! Ya never know when baby decides now is time to debut! Lol. Also, to add for FTMs if it hasn’t already been said at your ob, pre-registering with the hospital is a big help that way you’re not stuck signing things or digging out ID in between contractions. The drive seems forever long as it is. Haha. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    And, all us High Risk mama's. Take a bag with you anytime you go to the MFM. My SIL went in for her weekly BPP and was admitted for an emergency Cesarean. She didn't have ANYTHING with her. 
  • Options
    Totally agree with bag packing early! With #3 at a routine check somewhere in the 30s weeks, I got sent to triage at the hospital nearby because baby’s HB was a little slow - I for sure hadn’t packed my bag or planned and while there was like OMG what if they check me in now and I don’t get to go home?! Better believe I packed my bag the next day 😆

I probably should investigate hospitals nearby. We’re a good 45 mins from ours and I reallllllllly don’t want to deliver anywhere near where we live but I suppose I should at least have a worst case plan!
  • Options
    I keep having dreams that I’m in labor so I really am going to throw a few things together this weekend. My husband packing my hospital bag would be a nightmare. I figure I can add to it as I get more things for it but I want the basics of nursing tanks and lounge pants in. I don’t care what I look like there but I do not want to end up with a pair of pajama pants with a constricting waist band!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @pelorunningmama, if it helps, I kept dreaming I was going to deliver DS2 on Christmas Eve., at 35w. I didn't. He was born in Jan 20. 
  • Options
    totally agree with @mamabee1113 on the bag in your car- I was stuck without mine when I went into labor and it was terrible. Good call @pelorunningmama - I think I need to throw some stuff in a bag too, I am literally in denial about so much of this pregnancy lol