August 2021 Moms

GTKY: Sports

Anyone into watching or playing any sports? Any fun stories or traditions? Kids in sports?

Re: GTKY: Sports

• My DD likes attending soccer games with her dad. I find them incredibly boring (how do you go a whole game and score NO points?? And think that’s interesting?!). I think she mostly likes the crowd because they do face paint, sing songs, and cheer. She’s 7. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I’m definitely not a big sports person, but I played softball and volleyball growing up. DH is ALSO not an “organized” sports person (which I’m incredibly grateful for 😂). He’s more of an “extreme” sports guy...loves riding dirt bikes, skateboarding, snow boarding. All the dangerous stuff. Which is why he currently has a broken arm 🙄. DD did ballet (pre-COVID), and we’re hoping to resume dance and start gymnastics this summer. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We are a very big rugby house! MH and I actually met playing rugby in university and he proposed to me in NZ while on a visit to see family and watch the Rugby World Cup there in 2011. He's an Ireland fan and I'm an All Blacks fan, but we keep it civil. I also play volleyball, but our league is on pause because of COVID. We just signed our oldest up for gymnastics and swimming lessons—he's pretty pumped.

I love live sports, even if it's a sport I wouldn't watch on TV. I guess I'm a bit like your DD, @emmylou78. I just enjoy the energy and excitement of the crowd, the singing and cheering, the food and overpriced beer!
  • jaxaliajaxalia member
    edited January 2021
    Lol I played soccer in high school and completely agree with your interpretation @emmylou78 😂 it definitely wasn’t my calling or entertaining enough to follow after high school.

DH and SIL both have done gymnastics most of their childhoods, and his sister coaches now full time. I’m sure our kids will be tumbling pretty early. DH will still break out a handstand or flip every once in a while. As someone who struggles to do basic cartwheels I’m always impressed lol

DH also played football in high school - very “Friday night lights” vibes, and his dad coached youth football for some time. I anticipate if we have a boy there being some pressure to play, but I couldn’t really care less if they like football or not!

My family is a big hockey house - my mom is from the very northern part of Michigan and that locale steals a lot of the Canadian hockey love

I’d love our kids to play hockey but it’s a pretty expensive sport and I also want my kids to have good teeth 😂

we’ll probably let them explore their interests/try different things and see what sticks, but I figure gymnastics is a pretty good base for most things they’ll get into!
  • @emmylou78 I LOVE going to soccer games. We just got a new league/team in Canada 2 years ago and it was the most wild summer. I was on the megaphone leading a lot of the chants.

I've always enjoyed watching soccer, but was more into hockey until I compared the live atmosphere. But give me a Toronto Maple Leafs game over any other sport on TV. It was opening night last night, hence the excitement and posting this GTKY.

I've always wanted my kid to do both ballet and hockey to a point, and see which they gravitate to more. But like you said, @jaxalia, hockey is so expensive and the injuries aren't great. So I could get behind soccer instead 😅
  • Oh man, I feel like the odd man out, I don't watch or play any sports! H is an avid golfer and I'm sure he'll want to do that with any kids we have. He also casually watches several sports on TV (particularly college football and basketball), but I definitely couldn't stand it if he was one of those guys who schedules his life around not missing "the game"- a good friend of mine's significant other basically blocks out every Sunday in the fall for watching NFL and that level of commitment would drive me nuts! Maybe that's a UO though, this seems like a pretty sporty crowd.
  • @the_most_happy I don't care about sportsball at all. you aren't alone. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • MH golf's, when he has time and used to play soccer.
    I played Roller derby in a different life and that was fun but so dangerous. I stopped when two teammates broke the legs badly. I just couldn't afford to get injured like that. 

DD plays soccer, although on hold during covid and tried dance but hated it. I'm hoping she can start soccer again soon. 
  • @the-most-happy, hence the reason I’m grateful that DH doesn’t like sports. I REFUSE to devote my weekends to watching them. 😂
  • @the-most-happy & @cyanope I also feel you on that. When Sunday football or golf is on my husband gets stabbed with my eyes. Haha
  • @cyanope haha exactly! I get annoyed as it is sometimes with him playing golf (not reeeeally annoyed because it’s good to have hobbies, it just bugs me that this one happens to take 4+ hour chunks of time), but at least that’s active and social I guess.
  • I’m not much of a sports fan and luckily DH isn’t obsessed either! We do follow the UFC together though. We’ve both done martial arts and the plan is to start the kids in BJJ as soon as they’re old enough. They won’t be forced to obviously but I hope they enjoy it! DS loves grappling so I’d be surprised if he didn’t like it. Its been a long time since I’ve rolled but it’s my absolute favorite way to stay in shape and I can’t wait to get back to it!
  • edited January 2021
    a good friend of mine's significant other basically blocks out every Sunday in the fall for watching NFL and that level of commitment would drive me nuts!
    This is definitely my family! DH and I are huge NFL fans although we cheer for different teams. We usually take DS to the park for a couple hours in the morning then come home and hunker down for an afternoon of cooking and football. We did a bunch of house renovations during covid including expanding our deck and renovating the patio area so we are usually watching outside and DS can run around and play while the game is on.

In addition to football we are big hockey fans. I also love watching the olympics or any less popular sport that gets air time. During lockdown we started watching cornhole because it was the only live sports on ESPN. Desperate times y’all.

ETA- surprisingly we are not college football fans. Living in SEC territory that is basically unheard of.
  • @surrenderdorothy it makes it a lot better that y’all share that passion at least! It only really is a problem if one party is glued to the TV and the other is going stir crazy.

Idk what channel it was on but during the height of quarantine a couple of my sports-obsessed friends got really into watching live marble racing, lmao. My first thought was to tell them they’d officially lost it, but tbh we all had in different ways at that point, so whatever gets you through the day!
  • @surrenderdorothy, the olympics are my favorite TV event of ALL time. And as much as our country sucks right now, I get so flippin’ patriotic during Olympic years! I seriously get emotional whenever we get the gold...for any event. 😂
  • @cyanope same girl. Same. 

Funny story, many years back we lived in a duplex and a new fam had just moved in. We got up early to watch Olympic hockey and I guess we made such a racket that the couple next to us thought we were having this huge domestic dispute and called the police. 😂 No officer, just over zealous hockey fans, watching a game that airs at 7am. We were mortified.