First Time Mom Check-in 01/12 — The Bump
May 2021 Moms

First Time Mom Check-in 01/12

EDD, Weeks + Days, Gender, Baby is the size of _______:

Product Spotlight/Questions (highlight pregnancy/maternity/baby product(s) you love or have questions about): 

Any other questions/concerns/worries? 

GTKY: what has been your most favorite & least favorite parts of this pregnancy so far?

Re: First Time Mom Check-in 01/12

• EDD, Weeks + Days, Gender, Baby is the size of _______:  May 26, 20+6, team green, baby is the size of a box of dryer sheets

Product Spotlight/Questions (highlight pregnancy/maternity/baby product(s) you love or have questions about):  DH and I both want to do cloth diapers....but man am I getting overwhelmed researching this topic 😳 never realized how many different types there are (flats, prefolds, pockets, AIO...) plus brands.  Not sure how to determine what “type” of CD is right for us

Any other questions/concerns/worries? See above. I think I should go back and re-read the diaper thread

GTKY: what has been your most favorite & least favorite parts of this pregnancy so far?: My most favorite part is related to my least favorite part—I love seeing my belly grow but hate that my clothes don’t fit me anymore 
    mimsermkc3888
  • mimsermimser member
    edited January 2021
    EDD, Weeks + Days, Gender, Baby is the size of _______: May 17, 22w1d, Boy, coconut 

Product Spotlight/Questions (highlight pregnancy/maternity/baby product(s) you love or have questions about): can't think of anything at the moment 

Any other questions/concerns/worries? The COVID situation is really not great right now in our area and I just found out our birthing hospital has a bad outbreak and are asking people to avoid their ER... 

GTKY: what has been your most favorite & least favorite parts of this pregnancy so far? Favorite part is the movement, least favorite, aside from PGAL brain say, is the baby shower weird situation.

@nsk489 we also want to do CD. If you're willing to go lurk, November 2020 BMB had a very informative Product spotlight Thread and there were a good number of moms who did CD. I was recommended to get different kinds/brandsof CD because you don't know which kind, brand, will work for your baby. I agree it's super overwhelming. I'm in a local group on FB and didn't realize how much there was to know, washing routine and everything... For the newborn phase I am getting mostly fitted (Green Mountain fitted diapers were highly recommended to me) and flat diapers, as well as a few AIO and pockets. I am planning on mostly pockets for later with some AIO, fitted and flat.
    mkc3888nsk489
  • Loading the player...
  • @nsk489 We cloth diapered our first.  My sister cloth diapered 3 of her kids.  I found pockets to be the easiest for a number of reasons.  Once stuffed they work like a disposable.  They are easily customizable for absorbency and are the most readily available.  A lot of people recommend getting a few of each type to see what you like.  I'm thinking about trying stretchy flats this time.  I liked fitted diapers with wool covers for overnight.  These were are never leaking diapers.  Feel free to tag me if you have any questions about cloth diapers.  I kind of love them :)

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

mimserlittlelibelulansk489
  • edited January 2021
    @nsk489 @mimser I collected used based on a very low cost per diaper, if they fit the price then I bought them. I have a nice selection of different brands of pocket diapers because of that. But I would love to try covers if I could get my hands on them. My pregnancy project is knitting some wool covers and sewing some from a wool sweater. But I've heard good things about the green mountain wool covers. I really want to start from newborn this time around. 

November 2020 BMB diapering thread - https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12753337/product-spotlight-diapering#latest
    nsk489
  • Thanks ladies, I never really thought to go lurk on another BMB! They have a lot of great info on their CD thread (and also a lot of fun random threads, I liked their wedding dress one!)

I was thinking about doing prefolds and flats at first, but I worry about learning all the crazy origami folds. AIO seem like the simplest option, but I would be concerned about the dry time with AIO...
    @littlelibelula I wish I knew how to sew or knit! You’ll have to let us know how your projects turn out
    @mimser I’ve heard good things about Green Mountain too! A girl I grew up with (literally the only person I know IRL who has cloth diapered) said she loves the Blueberry Simplex diapers (I saw them recommended on the Nov 2020 group) and used them with all 3 of her boys. She said she will gift me some of her newborn diapers since they are done with that size so that’s where I’ll start I guess
    @mkc3888 did you try different varieties before deciding on pockets? I just heard about stretchy flats! I like that they would have a more “slim” look to them

mkc3888mimser
  • @nsk489 my sister gave me a bunch of pockets and newborn covers. I only used covers for newborn. I’ve heard they are hard to stuff newborn pockets. However I was never able to reuse newborn covers because newborn poop is so liquidy. I’m debating on making or buying newborn aio this time. Typically babies outgrow the absorbency before they outgrow diaper. That being said I’ll looks for a diaper made with natural fibers because they hold more than microfiber. I also prefer the flap style aio over the sewn into the middle ones because they come clean better but you still don’t have to stuff them and the come clean easier. My favorite diaper that I’m debating going to this time is wool covers with fitted diapers. I want to try stretchy flats with wool too. Wool is just so soft and easy to care for. Plus you can get really cute wool covers. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• In my local CD group someone posted these gorgeous wool covers by Drimi on etsy. Turns out they left etsy and have stock online and lots of inspirational pictures on IG. 
    https://instagram.com/pieluszki_drimi?igshid=12kzqoezkk2kr

mimsermkc3888
  • EDD, Weeks + Days, Gender, Baby is the size of _______: 5/23; 21+3; Male; baby bok choy

Product Spotlight/Questions (highlight pregnancy/maternity/baby product(s) you love or have questions about): i totally forgot that my boss gave me a giant bag of her old maternity clothes last year when i was previously PG and i went through them this past weekend.  SO much good stuff (she has good taste).  my favorite things so far are all Gap maternity.  the shirts are so soft and comfy.  i have tanks, tees and long sleeves in all diff colors.  its awesome.

Any other questions/concerns/worries? feeling much less PGAL-ish the past two weeks.  AS last week definitely helped.  So now just looking forward to viability!

GTKY: what has been your most favorite & least favorite parts of this pregnancy so far? i love my little baby bump! but i hate that i have new physical limitations.  I'm always tired and i cant move the same ways i used to.  its frustrating to not be able to do things i used to be able to, but i am trying to embrace it because i know it will only be getting worse
    mimserec1212
  • ec1212ec1212 member
    edited January 2021
    EDD, Weeks + Days, Gender, Baby is the size of: 5/14, 22+5! Baby is size of an eggplant. 

Product Spotlight/Questions (highlight pregnancy/maternity/baby product(s) you love or have questions about): 
    Probably everything. I'm a big researcher, and am currently in the glider/recliner and bottles&nipples category. I thought I was settled on bottles/nipples but recently read the "Moms On Call" first 6 months guide and they have specific recs...I think a lot of our moms mentioned liking the nipples they recommended in our product spotlight thread so I have to go reread.

Any other questions/concerns/worries? Not near-term. More just wondering how and when labor will kick off, and wondering what else I can do to prepare us for a positive birth experience. Outside of this whole thing, I am periodically stressed about DH being able to find a new job before baby gets here. Relying on my faith to keep calm and not spend too much time laying awake over it.

GTKY: what has been your most favorite & least favorite parts of this pregnancy so far? I think I just started feeling movement? These are the same flutters that I've been feeling since around 16 weeks, but I discounted them then because the annoying OB said it was too early for me to feel movement due to my anterior placenta. I'm pretty sure baby boy is annoyed by that OB too, and trying to make it known that it's really him. :) Other than that, it's just been fun to observe how my body is changing and trying to work in partnership with it so we have a great pregnancy in body, mind and spirit!
    mimserasf0613
  • @ec1212 well said about having a great pregnancy in body, mind and spirit!  im trying to enjoy it all and soak it in as corny as that sounds. ALSO i have so many dreams about labor starting, where i will be, who i will be with, where will DH be?? i have this fear i will go into labor (and quickly) while i am in manhattan for work as opposed to being closer to home!  probably irrational to think like that, as it will probably be less eventful and at home and not quick and urgent 
    ec1212
  • ec1212ec1212 member
    edited January 2021
    @asf0613 well I live a 15 min. drive away from the city so if you need someone in a pinch and I'm not in labor myself ;) LOL. 
    asf0613
  • @ec1212 “sorry can’t help, currently in labor” 😂
    ec1212