Infertility

1st time IVFer

Hello 👋, 
I am new to this community and to IVF. I went in today for my baseline after being on birth control for three weeks. I will be starting my stims this weekend. I am a bit nervous about mixing the medication as well as administering it. Looking for support from this community. 

Re: 1st time IVFer

• edited January 2021
    Welcome! Sorry you have to be here, but at least we’re in it together. Im currently wrapping up birth control in my first cycle as well, still waiting to hear when I’ll start the stimulation (the insurance company hasn’t gotten back to us yet). Have you ever self-administered a shot? I had to for my two failed IUIs and honestly my dread the first time vs. how it actually went was completely mismatched. It was really NOT that bad and I made a mountain of it. The second one ended up being just fine and without the dread :) Honestly at least being able to take SOME action made me feel more in control than before when we were trying and nothing was happening, despite many many completely normal tests. Come join us in the January IVF/FET thread, we’re literally all going through it at the same time and we’re here for you!
  • Welcome!!! The Groups for transfers are busier than the main board, so if you know when your transfer may be, join in!! You will become a pro with the meds quickly!! I have been doing this now for near two years. Good luck!!
    Me: 45yo, DH: 47yo
    3 Daughters (singleton @27yo, ID  Di/Di Twins @34yo)
    Protein S Deficiency (Blood Clotting Disorder), MTHFR & VIT D issue 
    5 MC's:  Blighted Ovum-D&C @ 9wks;  Natural MC @ 7wks; Blighted Ovum-D&C @ 9wks; MC boy-D&C @ 9wks & Chem PG in 2019
    Tubes were tied after my Twins (and now I am old). Remarried and want to give my DH a baby!

IVF#1 OE June 2019 - ER 6/15/19, 24R, 21M, 20F, 7 6DBlasts Frozen for PGS Testing,
    RESULTS of PGS 4 abnormal girls,  2 abnormal boys, 1 indeterminate girl
    FET#1 OE August 23, 2019 (transferring 1 indeterminate girl & 1 abnormal boy) - BFN
    IVF#2 November 15, 2019 - ER 9R, 9M, 6F, 2 5dBlasts (fresh transfer) and 1 6DBlast frozen for PGS Testing,
    FRESH Transfer: November 20, 2019, 2 5-day blasts transferred!! 
    BFP 8dp5dt on 11/27 - 12/2 on FRER, BETA #1 12/2 - 11.93. BETA #2 12/4: 4.41 ~CHEMICAL PG
    ******************Starting Donor Process
    June 2020: Egg Donor Cycle and Fresh Transfer of 1 embryo in Czech Republic - CANCELLED DUE TO COVID19
    October 2020.  Split Cycle at UFC with a friend (Andrea) I met on the Bump who was also supposed to go to Prague too  
    DE Retrieval 9/26/2020, 26R, 24M, 12 split Cycle, 9 Fertilized + 1 "questionable", PRAYING FOR AT LEAST 5 BLASTS
    10/1/2020: 4 5DBlasts (AA, BB, BC, BC), 10/2/2020: 3 6DBlasts (BB, BB, BC) FOR A TOTAL OF: 7 BLASTS!! THANK YOU GOD!!
    PGS RESULTS: 5 NORMALS! DAY 5: AA BOY, BB GIRL, BC BOY / DAY 6: BB GIRL, BC GIRL
    DE FET October 29, 2020 - CANCELED DUE TO FLUID IN LINING
    DE FET November 16th, 2020 (transferring an PGS normal Hatching AA Boy)
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome, and best of luck!
    You got this! I'm crazy afraid of needles, but after a few days it becomes quite a routine process :) just give yourself a calm space and time to go over the steps each time.
    As others mentioned - join the monthly IVF threads, so you'll get support from people who're on a similar timeline. It's SUPER helpful and this forum is what kept me sane through my 2 IVFs and 3 transfers.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My story in signature spoiler. Children mentioned.
    Me: 37 DH: 45
    I don't produce FSH, so no natural menstrual cycle. DH has reduced morphology.
    Summer 2014 IUI (with first husband): cancelled after almost a month of stims due to too many follicles
    Time off to divorce, get back on my feet, find a new hubby and get married again 💑
    March 2017 IVF#1: ~70 follicles, 13R, 10M, 7F, 3B = 2 PGS Normal (both XY) - no transfer due to ohss
    Sept 2017 FET#1: BFP, Beta#1 (10dpt) - 253, Beta#2 (12dpt) - 528, DS born 05/31/2018 👨‍👩‍👦
    Dec 2019 FET#2: BFN
    Changed clinic, planning March 2020 IVF#2 - postponed due to the pandemic
    April 2020 IVF #2: ~30 follicles, 24R, 12M, 8F, 4B = 2XY & 2XX, all normal  <3
    Sept 2020 FET#3: one XX embryo, BFP, Beta#1 (9dpt) - 161, Beta#2 (11dpt) - 519, Beta#3 (19dpt) - 7174, Due date 05/30/2021
    DD born 05/23/2021 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 - My family is now complete <3
  • Thank you ladies for your support. I have looked into other forms, posted and my post got lost within the massive replies. I am sure after watching hundreds of videos I will get better at it. My partner has a job in which he leaves all week, so I will be injecting myself. Where do you ladies get the energy to continue when IVF fails!? I don't think I have the strength, emotionally to try more than once. Let alone the money to pay for it.
  • zaltylouzaltylou member
    edited January 2021
  • @mouse39 I get a lot of strength from here, from stories of it working after a few times rather than the first time, from sharing the painful journey and rallying for each other. We'll do this first one together and let's not think past that for now, okay? One step at a time. I have a lot of difficulty not jumping to the worst case scenario immediately, but you just can't do that. It'll make you crazy. I'm sorry your partner is gone all week. That really can't be easy. I hope the weekends together are wonderful and strengthening

• @thezaltyberger I can see how this community can do that for you. I am looking forward to the same. You are right positive thoughts it shall be! The weekends are best nice. I have to say I do enjoy the bed to myself and the time I have to enjoy to myself 😂. Have you heard back on when you will be starting stimulation? I was in the same situation with my insurance. They finally approved the medicine after I called them and harassed them.
  • @mouse39 no word from insurance yet, but the clinic feels pretty confident that we'll get approval next week. I have a very common insurance company, and the clinic is very big, so I trust their experience. The birth control has been badly messing with my moods and poor DH has been bearing the brunt of it. I'm excited to go off it...though of course going off it means pumping myself full of other hormones that might be worse. That's okay. We're all working toward the same goal :)

So where exactly are you in your journey? Do you have an egg retrieval scheduled? Rooting for you!
  • @thezaltyberger I am sure your DH understand that this is only temporary. I finished my BC Jan. 4, after three weeks. I had my baseline done Tuesday morning. I start stims this Saturday. They want to time it since I am having the embryo tested and that can't be done on the weekends. I am scheduled for another ultrasound and bloodwork next Tuesday. Do not have a date for my retrieval yet. Keep me posted on the approval from your insurance. My district has decided to make us teach from empty classrooms starting next Monday. Which is going to make it more difficult to schedule my follow ups. My clinic is 8 minutes away from my house and was able to complete testing needed during my breaks. 
  • @mouse39 welcome! Come join our Jan IVF/FET thread. It’s more active. I promise you won’t be lost 😉. By the way, clinic that is 8 minutes from your house sounds like a bliss. I have to travel 2 hours each way 🤪.