August 2021 Moms

January Appointments Thread

Use this thread to discuss upcoming appointments in January! 

Questions? News? Tests? 

Re: January Appointments Thread

• Loading the player...
  • @dancingnarwhal in a nutshell, weight check, blood pressure check, leave a urine sample, discuss all kinds of medical history, talk about how the next few months will look (appointments/tests) and LOTS of blood draws.  You may or may not have transvaginal ultrasound.  They also give you a big packet of info!  I always have a ton of questions so write them down and get answers for all of yours.  😁
  • @pickle-chips I feel the same - hopeful that I am feeling this crummy bc everything is going how it should. The nausea is kicking my butt currently
  • My first appointment is 1/12. I’m really excited for it and the office said that MH could come, in case they do an US. I hope they do one because I’ve kinda gotten my hopes up. I won’t be quite 8 weeks yet though. Otherwise they just said they need to re-establish me as a patient, since I haven’t been there in so long! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Decided to go the CNM route. So they offered a very basic 8 week US to confirm dating. Then a regular prenatal visit at 12 weeks (no US). 

Scheduled for January 22. 
  • I've got my (second, because it was too early to see much on the first) ultrasound and new OB appointments this Tuesday, and I'm super nervous! I'll only be 6 + 3, so still pretty early... I just am not having a ton of symptoms yet so that's making me anxious. If everything looks good and they can see a heartbeat, I think I'll tell my parents next weekend- really hoping that works out!
  • I have my 2nd IS and appointment with my MFM on the 14th. I’m going to have my H come with me to that one because of our mmc last time and having to go through it by myself. If/when it all looks fine then I will move to monthly appointments for a while. 

Question- my dr said he would order the 12 week genetic test for me if I want. Does anyone have pros/cons of doing it? I kind of want to do it but it won’t change anything if there is a higher risk at the same time. 
  • @emily1052 - Thanks! I’ll have to make sure I write all my questions down as I’m sure I’ll forget them if I don’t! I hope they do an ultrasound as I’ll already be 10 weeks at my appointment 
  • @mrspants0809 whatever you decide, just double check it is covered by your insurance. You need to ask billing. 

I did genetic testing with our first because my doctor suggested it and said it couldn't hurt. It cost me $600 out of pocket (not covered at all on my insurance). It came back fine, but there was an alternative one I could have selected with similar info that would have been free. 
  • Getting a third draw of betas on Monday. If they are high enough (they should be), my ob will schedule an ultrasound due to my loss history. My first appt is the 14th, so hoping they can schedule the US for then.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @mrspants0809  I don’t remember all the differences, but I chose the genetic screening that was covered by my insurance last time. It didn’t indicate sex of the baby, but did screen for at least the main trisomies. It’s sad that insurance can dictate the care we are able to receive, but that’s a rant for a different day. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies, I will be calling my insurance on Monday to see which ones the cover. I’m hoping it will be as good as when we had genetic testing done on our mmc. We were quoted around $300 and I just got a bill right before Xmas of $50. 
  • I have my first appt tomorrow but they said all they will do is confirm that I am pregnant. Then I have to wait a week for a phone appt that they said will take an hour. I feel like everyone else is getting so much more tested/done.
  • @kiwimangohoneylemon with my first I wasn't seen until 9 weeks, never had betas and my first ultrasound wasn't until 12 weeks.

This time around I've had two ultrasounds and a ton of bloodwork because we weren't sure if it was a new pregnancy or some left over tissue from my loss or ectopic because I had some pain in the beginning. 

It seems like every pregnancy/doctor/location is different. 

• @kiwimangohoneylemon agreed that every place is different as is every pregnancy and depends on your history.

*Tw losses mentioned*
    My first did an ultrasound at 8.5 weeks where they found mmc. Second pregnancy went to a different Dr where they didn't do an ultrasound. Had an 10 appt did physical and confirmed pregnancy. Then had 13 week appt where I was deemed having a threatened mc until the ultrasound showed I was miscarrying as the embryo stopped growing at 8.5 weeks. Third pregnancy had ultrasound at 8 weeks, which showed a heartbeat. I then I proceeded to bleed off and on from weeks 9-20 because of a SCH. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @Kenneylynn3 Ugh, how hard that must have been. So sorry for your losses. 

My first US is tomorrow 1/4 and I will be 7w2d. I am barely functioning, so that is a goos sign, I guess? Appointments are so nerve-wracking, I actually hate US and testing. 
    Me: 35 Husband: 40
    TTC #2: Jan 2019
     DS: 2.5 yo 
     EDD: 12/2/16 DOB: 10/22/16
    (Previously MBS2016 Dec 2016 board
    <3         <3 
  • @kiwimangohoneylemon also probably people with appts are posting here. I haven't even called to make my first one but with my first pregnancy they didn't want to see me until week 8 or so. I think dating ultrasound around that time is recommended too.
  • @kiwimangohoneylemon unfortunately the reason a lot of us have earlier appointments, ultrasounds and tests are due to previous losses, possible complications and/or infertility treatments.  
  • Yep, exactly what @emily1052 said, I've had a million appointments because we did reciprocal IVF with my wife's egg, and I don't have a history of infertility or loss either, it's simply how IVF is managed by my RE. I've had one appointment with my main doc now that I graduated OB and it was as you described, confirming pregnancy and some medical history. Next appointment is weeks away. For my first pregnancy it was similar, I got some extra monitoring then due to a complex ovarian cyst but otherwise wouldn't have only had ultrasounds to confirm pregnancy, one at 12 weeks for prenatal testing and one at 20 weeks for further testing and that would have been it. @kiwimangohoneylemon Here is a typical schedule and the majority of those appointments are "how are you feeling" and them doing a fetal doppler (in the second/third tri). IE they're pretty boring appointments. The big milestones are 20 week ultrasound, glucose test and then the last few weeks of prepping for delivery. At this stage of pregnancy there is very little interventions that can be done if something is wrong so they're pretty hands off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • @cyanope eeek!!  So exciting!!  I’m glad everything looked good and you got to see the heartbeat!
  • My first appointment is not until the 21st and that’s registration with OB, they said a “gtky..” at our last duty station the hospital had orientation and the nurses filled out your patient packet and took down any history you may have. They also explained how they have support groups and gave us a list of dates if we wanted to come. I’ve already went to the lab to do blood work and leave a urinalysis for that appointment.
    Then my NIPT is scheduled for January 28th with an ultrasound. By then I will be 11 weeks according to my LMP and we will be able to get an actual date.
    I had very light pink spotting on Monday that was almost unnoticeable so I figure implantation bleeding. I looked that up and read it can happen around 8 weeks, which I’ll be on Thursday.
    Also I’m noticing I have a super stuffy nose which I am assuming is due to this dry winter weather and early pregnancy. I already have allergic rhinitis but I haven’t had symptoms until recently. I bought a humidifier from Target tonight to help but placed order pick up so I will get that tomorrow. 
  • Speaking of dry winter weather! I had my first appt and told the CNM that I have duty outside every morning for 45 minutes and lately it has been very cold and I immediately get a drippy nose and I already got sick once with a sore throat and a fever. Research says that fever is most dangerous in the first trimester and you should try to keep your temp under 100. I was afraid at the time that it might be COVID and it was no fun. Our immune systems are also weakened. The CNM said "I see no difference between you and someone who is not pregnant." Aaafter asking me "well if you don't do the duty, who will be able to cover it?" Which I thought was so strange! The whole thing and the way she was staring at me and my sweatpants I had on at the time just made me feel super uncomfortable. It is too bad because I am so excited and the Medical assistant who walked me back and took my bp etc. was so sweet and shared in my excitement! The CNM also abruptly asked if I am in a relationship and I said I am married and she started looking at my hand which I had tucked between my leg- for proof? Later she refused to say "your husband" ans said your partner ... I realize she is trying to take in information about me but it felt more like an interrogation and like she thought I was just trying to wiggle out of standing outside in the mornings for no good reason. 

I hope all of your care providers and appts go better! 
  • @kiwimangohoneylemon that's so frustrating, sorry you had a bad experience at your appointment! If it makes you feel better- I'm pretty sure it's a myth that being cold weakens your immune system/causes you to get sick. The reason colds/the flu etc. pop up more in the winter is because we're all spending more time indoors and therefore sharing germs more. So I wouldn't think your time spent outdoors would mean any increased risk to your baby (even though I'm sure it's no fun!).
  • I finally called to make an appointment yesterday.  Because of an insurance change, my old midwives don't take my insurance so I had to find a new group.  I've been putting off scheduling because I'm slightly terrified of having to go through the process of explaining my prior birth trauma and PTSD with a new group.  But I think I'll like them and they are colleagues who sometimes work in hospital with my old midwives, so that will help.

They wanted to squeeze me in today, so I go this afternoon for a "pregnancy confirmation" and pregnancy history which I figured would be a scan and talk with the midwife, but they're going to do a urine or blood test, history talk with midwife, and have me come back in 3 weeks for a dating scan and to talk about my birth plan.  
  • edited January 2021
    @Kenneylynn3 No if she said partner in that way then 100%! Def agree with you. How annoying that people assume. The only reason I mentioned thar is: she said that aaafter I called him my husband, mentioned his pronouns, and his name- she kept looking at my hand like for the ring and it was tucked between my legs (prob bc it felt so off) and then she went from saying husband to partner. It was so odd. I think if she hadn't been crazy looking at my hand multiple times, I wouldn't have even noticed. I felt like she was talking down to me in a lot of ways. I will sew her next week and give her another shot. I know they are having an odd time w covid. Maybe she was having an off day. My gut says that her seeing me in work clothes vs sweats means she will treat me differently. :-/
  • @the_most_happy I never said that the cold does that. I was referring to the first 12 weeks of pregnancy our immune systems are repressed so that our bodies do not attack fetal cells. During these first 12 weeks it is super easy to catch a cold etc. Being out there has me dripping and bothers my throat immediately. There were some pretty cold days before i was pregnant and that never happened. 
  • @mrspyrowiz aw! It is so hard to wait for the scans. I hope your new midwives make you feel super comfortable and understood. It is no fun re-explaining trauma! I am glad they have a connection with your old group to make you feel more at ease. I am going to start meeting with more next week. 
  • Thanks all for the comments! I feel better after talking to some other mamas and nurses and also women who have used that same practice. She has made others uncomfortable but for different reasons and their guess is that because the practice is near an area where they see a lot of young, single mothers and unplanned pregnancies and bc I have a young face (33y.o. though) she might have been trying to discern if I was in a healthy relationship and really wanted the baby. On another note, my boss know nows and that is exciting for me! Still deciding how to tell siblings and parents 😊😊 I am so thankful for this baby and cannot waaait for the US!