1st Trimester

Slow Rising HCG

Hi all,

This is my first pregnancy so I am new at this. My OB called me today with some concerning news. My HCG levels are very low and not rising like they should. She said on the 27th it was 60 and now it’s 77. They are concerned it could be an ectopic pregnancy or a miscarriage but they aren’t doing an ultrasound? Is that normal? They just want to continue monitoring my HCG via blood. Any advice or prior experiences with similar scenarios is so appreciated :(

Re: Slow Rising HCG

• I am sorry you are going though this.  Unfortunately. Your numbers don't look good. They should double about ever 48 hours.  The reason they are not doing an ultrasound yet is that generally nothing shows on an ultrasound until hcg gets to a certain level. (I can't remember the level, but it is over 1,000.)  

• @baccholitti333 I've had 5 MCs and most of them were early on with low HCG levels, like you're presenting.  It definitely doesn't look good as @holly321 said, as your numbers aren't even close to doubling.  Low numbers like that don't usually signal an ectopic, so I would not be concerned about that at this point.  Usually they'll just continue to monitor your hcg levels until they get below 5 (HCG below 5 indicates not pregnant).  I'm sorry.
    #BitterHagPartyOf1

Melody Pond GIF
  • Loading the player...
  • I’m so sorry to hear about your MCs, thats awful. Did your numbers slowly rise before eventually having the MC? It sounds like they’re going to continue to monitor my levels. The only thing giving me hope still is that they are rising (although slowly) and not falling. 
  • @baccholitti333 I only had betas starting with my second PG.  But 2, 3, and 4 all fell. I'd get a lower hcg number that wasn't very high, and then the second number was usually around the same or lower.  The 5th PG I had beautifully doubling numbers and was so hopeful and only a few days away from my first ultrasound, and I lost the baby randomly anyway.
    #BitterHagPartyOf1

Melody Pond GIF