August 2021 Moms
Options

Health and Fitness Check In 12/21

PanaceiaPanaceia member
edited December 2020 in August 2021 Moms
This thread is for everyone who is trying to maintain some sort of fitness level or healthy eating lifestyle this pregnancy. No matter how big or small your goals please feel free to jump in!

How far along are you?

What are your long term goals?

What are you goals for this week? 

How are you doing so far with your goals? (Feel free to AW or vent here!)

Any obstacles?

Questions?

*let me know if there is anything else I should be adding to this...

ETA typos

Re: Health and Fitness Check In 12/21

• Options
    How far along are you?
    4+5

TW

I never lost the weight I gained from my 2 MMC pregnancies and I stopped working out completely when I got pregnant with DD2 for fear of another loss...SO my long term goal is to not gain too much weight this time, continue to workout the entire pregnancy, eat healthy, and hopefully get back to my pre child weight and some semblance of my pre child body again...or at least pre DD2 body.

End TW

I do the elliptical for 30 minutes a day so continue with that. Plus not eat any junk.

I haven't missed a day working out since October, which I'm proud of, and I cut out all junk the day I got my bfp. So I'm pretty happy with how things are going so far. I know it will get harder once the nausea hits.

Any obstacles?
    I start work again on January 4th as my mat leave is just ending, so it is going to be harder to find the time to fit in my workouts once work starts since I don't want to take time away from my 2 girls in the evenings.

Questions?
    None at the moment:)

• Options
    @Panaceia thank you for starting this check-in! And way to go on your streak! 

How far along are you?
    4+4
    What are your long term goals? To stay active throughout the pregnancy. I have a virtual yoga membership and I'm considering adding a virtual membership with a local pelvic rehab and fitness centre—they specialize in pre- and post-natal fitness. 
    What are you goals for this week? Drink 10 glasses of water a day. Two down today, 8 to go.  
    How are do doing so far with your goals? I did not drink enough water over the weekend, which I think is contributing to my constipation :s.  
    Any obstacles? Myself, really. I am working from home, so I have a lot of flexibility in when I can actually work out. It's just a matter of making that time for myself. 
    Questions? NATM 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How far along are you?
    5 weeks today 

Maintain healthy weight (gained a little weight right before conceiving so I'm a little higher weight than I wanted to be.

At least 4 workouts and at least 2 balanced meals per day.

Working in it.  Nausea is pretty awful right now and sciatic nerve pain, I feel like I can barely move some times.

Any obstacles?
    Nausea and fatigue and sciatica.  Also the children who think "oh, mommy's working out.  Let's jump on her!" Make things tough.

Questions?
    I don't think so.  
  • Options
    How far along are you? 4w0d

To maintain a healthy weight, exercise at least 30 minutes x 3-4 times a week.
    Continue to make healthier eating choices - more greens, less red meat, more seafood and chicken.

To keep at my peloton rides (I use the app, not the bike). I have really enjoyed them and cycling is a great work out.
    Doing pretty good on the food front overall.

-Well, week started and I haven't done it yet, so that's a big fat 0/3 this week. But I plan to this afternoon.

Any obstacles?
    -Need to go to bed earlier and also figure out what is driving my middle of the night wake ups that result in sluggishness all day.

Questions?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    How far along are you? 6w4d

What are your long term goals? I'm supposed to do a half-marathon in April. We will see lol And I just want to maintain my weight during this pregnancy. I'm a bit overweight so that should be fine, obviously I'll work on gaining if my CNM says I need to.

What are you goals for this week? This week I'm just happy with getting my dogs 3 walks a day in. I usually don't do much in terms of exercise the week of Christmas anyway.

How are you doing so far with your goals? (Feel free to AW or vent here!) I took my dog on a decently long walk this morning so I guess good. I resisted the urge to cut it short and took the long route.

Any obstacles? 

Questions?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    How far along are you? 6+6

What are your long term goals? My goal is to stay active throughout my pregnancy. That includes doing some physical activity or movement each week. Right now I spin 4x/week and I run during the winter months when the weather is nice. I did prenatal yoga at a fantastic yoga studio that was in a converted church and LOVED it. I doubt they are open and wouldn't feel comfortable working out in public in an enclosed space anyway, but it's a bummer. I really enjoyed that last time around.

What are you goals for this week? Continue to workout and drink more water! My eating hasn't been great the last two weeks because I need to keep food in my stomach. I usually do intermittent fasting so I'm not much of a snacker. 

How are you doing so far with your goals? (Feel free to AW or vent here!): Tomorrow I hit my 100 week streak. I really proud of that. :) I'm going into this pregnancy in much better shape than my last, so hoping to keep that momentum going.

Any obstacles? Nausea is kicking my butt. Also, I like to workout early in the morning with an empty stomach and that isn't going so well. I have to find a small snack I can have so I don't puke mid ride.

Questions?: Nope!
  • Options
    7weeks and change. Trying to maintain not gain right now, and committing to 30 min workouts most days. Hit my goal both days this weekend so that was good, but ate some junk food too, so not perfect. I need to gain less this time because I have mesh in my stomach and I don't want to mess it up by gaining too much. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    How far along are you?: 4+3

What are your long term goals?: Gain strength to prepare my body for the physical demands of labor/taking care of a baby.

What are you goals for this week?: Not sure honestly (see question below)! I guess in general I'm trying to eat nutrient-rich meals, limit snacking, and drink plenty of water.

How are you doing so far with your goals?: Pretty good! My goals for this week aren't much of a diversion from what I've been doing up to this point, so not struggling so far.

Any obstacles?: My main obstacle is that I am... not in good shape, haha. I'm at a good weight but I'm also pretty weak! I hate working out, especially at home (I used to somewhat enjoy going to a local hot yoga studio, but that's been off the table since March), and I'm genuinely concerned about basic stuff like being strong enough to carry the baby for long periods of time and things like that.

Questions?: Anyone have any recommendations for where to start with strength-building workouts? Suggestions for videos, virtual classes, self-led workout regimens, or even equipment recommendations would all be much appreciated!
  • Options
    @the_most_happy One thing you'll find once baby is here is you get so much stronger as they grow. I can easily carry my 45lb 7 year old around all day if I needed too:) No way I could do that 7 years ago...
  • Options
     How far along are you?
    5+4

Stay healthy, active, keep my energy levels up enough to take care of my family. 

Eat decently and walk every day. 

I just made them lol so idk yet. I haven’t been walking because I’ve been so tired. It always makes me feel better when I do though so it’ll be nice to have this thread to remind me and hold me accountable! 

Any obstacles?
    Just being tired. I might walk more often if I didn’t have to take the kiddos. I have to carry/wear DD and usually by the end I’m carrying DS too. Once we get back home I’ll have my stroller again so that won’t be an issue anymore though. 

Questions?
    I just need someone to tell me how much I’m supposed to be eating while tandem nursing and growing another human! I guess I should text my midwife and find out.
  • Options
    @the_most_happy I started using the fiton app pre pregnancy because they have postnatal and prenatal programs and the workouts are all free.  I've been liking it and the workouts are all different styles.  I want to get the mamastefit.com workout plan for pre and postpartum because she knows a lot about diastatis recti which I have from my previous babies.  But I haven't splurged on it yet.  Her Instagram info is great, so I assume her full plan is great too.
  • Options
    @jynjer3 another pregnant and still breastfeeding mama!  I nursed my second all through my third pregnancy and tandem fed both her and my current youngest (who is currently still nursing) until my daughter's 3rd birthday this past July.  It's definitely hard figuring out how much to eat!  I felt like I was always eating and this time I have zero appetite.  Let me know what your midwife says!  Lol
  • Options
    @jynjer3 Another pregnant and breastfeeding mama here. I'm finding it hard to keep up with the water my body needs!
  • Options
    @Panaceia same!  I'm nauseous and water makes it worse but I need water.  I can tell my supply has gone down a little.  My younger son will be 2 in 3.5 weeks, so he's okay getting less.  He/ we are just not ready to wean yet.
  • Options
    @MrsPyrowiz I know exactly what you mean mean! Mine is almost 18 months. I can tell that my supply is starting to drop because of the way she is acting. I am really hoping I don't dry up. I don't want her to stop before she's ready. DD1 nursed until she was almost 4 and I was hoping for the same for this little one.
  • Options
    @Panaceia when I got pregnant with current youngest, my second was only 9 months old.  Between my freezer stash, the like 2 oz a day I pumped at work, and nursing her on demand at home we didn't end up needing to supplement before her birthday.  She has a dairy intolerance so we switched her to alt milk when I was at work once she had her birthday but I still nursed on demand at home.  I never fully dried up, but by like 35 weeks my milk started changing to colostrum to prepare for my little guy.  She either didn't notice or didn't care.  I have pictures from in the hospital tandem nursing them. 

I'm thankful for the 18 months tandem nursing and that my daughter wasn't forced to stop before she was ready.  
  • Options
    @MrsPyrowiz this makes me so happy to hear!
  • Options
    How far along are you? 
    6 weeks 

To work out 3-5 days a week the whole time. 

Just get one work out in. The exhaustion and nausea are making it really difficult. 

I really need to do something today and tomorrow. 

Any obstacles?
    My DD is out of school and her sleep hasn’t been great (waking up as early as 4:15/:430 - today was 5:40) and she’s waking up in my quiet workout time and it’s really throwing my whole day off. 

Questions? 
    This might have been asked already and I’ll double check with my dr this week but do we have to keep our heart rate below a certain beats per minute? 
  • Options
    @mrspants0809 You are safe to continue whatever level of workout you were doing prepregnancy:)
  • Options
    @bmo88 I’m loving the Peloton classes too. Have you tried any of their other classes (besides cycling?) 

@surrenderdorothy I was doing IF too before this pregnancy and it’s hard for me to remember sometimes that I’m not feeling great because I need a snack/something in my stomach. I also typically workout while fasting before and definitely can’t do that anymore. 

@th@the_most_happy I really enjoy the Peloton workouts. 
  • Options
    @Panaceia thanks that’s kind of what I figured but when I was last pregnant (7 years ago 😬) the big thing was to keep HR below something like 160. I figured times Ahmad changed but wasn’t 💯. 
  • Options
    bmo88bmo88 member
    edited December 2020
    @mrspants0809 I have tried meditation and yoga. They were pretty good. Pilates was just added, so I want to give that a go. 

Interesting on the heart rate. During my last pregnancy, my doctor never mentioned it and I ran and worked out the whole time. Her biggest thing was to not over exert or go too far beyond current fitness level. 

Definitely talk to your doctor, but Mayo clinic suggests this. TLDR version: if you worked out before, it's not as much of a concern and they don't focus on it as much anymore. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/pregnancy-week-by-week/expert-answers/exercise-during-pregnancy/faq-20058359
  • Options
    For other Peloton peep, they just started pre-natal rides. Timing couldn’t be more perfect. I’m so excited. 
  • Options
    @surrenderdorothy thank you! I hadn’t heard they were doing those! Do you know who the instructors are? 
  • Options
    @mrspants0809 Robin is doing it. It tracks with her pregnancy and she’ll do post natal rides after her baby arrives. Also there are some prenatal yoga classes that predated this as well. 
  • Options
    @surrenderdorothy oh I didn't realize that. I did a regular ride with Robin Arzon yesterday and saw she was quiet pregnant. It motivated and depressed me (since I am way more lazy at times lol) at the same time. 

I saw prenatal yoga on the app too. 
  • Options
    @mrspants0809 I think Robin Arzon is the main prenatal instructor.  
  • Options
    @bmo88 she also has a documentary on YouTube documenting her pregnancy. I am not certain If she went through IVF, but I know she took some time off earlier in the year to have her eggs retrieved. So excited for her! She is one of my favorites. <3