April 2021 Moms
Options

Breast pumps

What’s your experience and opinion on best breast pumps?

My first son was a premie and not a great nurser. I struggled with supply issues so I had to pump and bottle feed a LOT. I used the spectra S2 and still have it but I’m not sure how well it will still work after being in storage for 3 years. I can get a new pump through insurance and I’m debating if I should get another Spectra to have as backup (or maybe my primary if the old one doesn’t still work) or if I should get the more portable Medela Pump in Style Max Flow. In pre-covid times I traveled a lot for work and my spectra was not great for that but now that work travel has pretty much come to a halt I’m not sure if I need the portability of the Medela but it might still be nice to have two different options even if we continue lockdown life in 2021.

I’m rambling, lol. Thoughts? Opinions?

Re: Breast pumps

• Options
    @jenn622-2 oh get ready for a dump of pump preferences. 😂. I have exclusively pumped with all three of my kids. 

My first two, I used the Medela PISA. I pumped for 8 months.
    With my third, I used a Spectra S2 (I think, it was the pink one), and the 1st gen Willow. I pumped for 11 months.

I thankfully didn’t have supply problems, but I most definitely have a preference in terms of ease of use, comfort/pain, and supply in general. 

Do you know which pump(s) your insurance will cover?

I have a strong, strong preference for the Spectra. It gave me the best supply (like 70 oz a day, it was nuts), and it was quiet and comfortable. Plus, it’s a closed system so you don’t run into the issue of getting fluid in the tubes, which is huge. The duck-bill valves were also much more efficient for me than the ones with the little flaps.  I will give you that it wasn’t the best to travel with, but I bought an external battery that I could use with it so I didn’t have to be plugged into the wall and I pumped literally wherever. I have two, one for work, one for home, and plan on checking how many hours each has been used and either using one of them again, or getting a new one because it was just such a great pump. They also have a more portable S9 (I think?) meant for travel that I might try if one of my S2 still has relatively low hours. I’ll just get new tubes, valves, etc. 

The Medela was just OK in terms of what I produced and I had to supplement with formula, and it was loud and it just hurt.  I also didn’t care for their flanges, and how they would disconnect. 

The Willow was fairly efficient, but it also hurt, and the 1st gen sucked (Not in a good way) with regard to the tiny, expensive bags that always ended up spilling despite the fact that they shouldn’t. All this said, I bought a 3rd gen because I need the convenience and they changed it so you can pump directly into cups. 

I would go with a Spectra if you’re waffling. 😊

• Options
    I used a Madela Advanced, I think. It was able to pump, on average, two 4oz bottles at a time. However, he hated pumped milk, so that didn't work for me for long.

One thing, LUBE THE BOOB! Get a good nipple cream and apply liberally before pumping, especially in those early days when your nipples are tender. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @BuckeyeNut05 thank you!! So does the spectra have a function where you can see how many hours you’ve pumped and do you know how many hours they typically function for before they lose function?

Based on your review I’ll probably just get another Spectra!
  • Options
    @aisukurimsarang YES to lube the boob!  It makes all the difference. 

@jenn622-2 here’s how to check: 
    • Power On
    • Massage
    • Cycle +
    • Vacuum –
    • Cycle –
    • Vacuum +
    • Massage
    I’m not sure what the recommendations are for when to switch based on how many hours you’ve pumped / how old the motor is. I know I put one of mine through the ringer, so I’ll likely use the one I didn’t use as often this time around. 
  • Options
    I used Medela PISA for my first two and doubted the spectra could really be better... was able to get the spectra (pink one) with my third and am now a believer. It was so much more comfortable and efficient!! And quieter too!!
  • Options
    agree with @BuckeyeNut05 -- loved my spectra. I love the idea of the willow but know a few people that hated it and said it didn't pump enough and was more expensive with the bags (I know some that liked it though, although they had no issue with supply). I also used the freemie cups with the spectra so it was like a poor persons willow in a sense
  • Options
    I don't have personal experience with a breast pump, as this is my first pregnancy, but I did do very extensive polling on my Instagram for all baby gear a month or so ago, lol. And out of 50+ women, the Spectra was the most popular (and the overwhelmingly popular advice was to go with the Spectra I so that you could be unplugged from the wall) and very close second was Medela. A few ladies said they really loved Elvie and someone said Willow was super painful haha. 
  • Options
    kadeephdkadeephd member
    edited December 2020
    I used the Spectra S2 with my first and liked it, though I have nothing to compare it to.  I no longer have that pump but will probably get the same one again assuming my insurance covers it.  I found it easy to use, relatively comfortable (though I did have to buy flanges in a different size than the ones that came with the pump) and the output was decent.  I spent a fair amount of the first year pumping just 2 times per day and I'd get about 6 oz per pump (we also supplemented with formula).

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @eahayes I also tried the Freemie cups with my Spectra and never produced as much as with the regular flanges. Did you have the same experience?
  • Options
    I really hope my insurance covers the Spectra! That was on my wishlist too, my friend told me it's great. She said she loved the night light feature too. Apparently I can't request a pump until 30 days before my due date, so we'll see! 
  • Options
    Do I just call my insurance company and ask them what is covered as far as a breast pump?
  • Options
    @theblondebump sometimes you can find it somewhere on the benefits website - for example, with this pregnancy we have different insurance and I actually Googled it and found it on another website entirely! If you have trouble finding it, you can just call.
  • Options
    @jenn622-2 I loved my S1 with my first. It was still in great condition (they were 21 months apart) so I got the S9 which is portable.

If my insurance will cover the willow or elvie, I'll go with that. If not, the freemie this time. But if you can be home and don't need an in-bra one like those three, I'd go with the S1/S2 or S9. Don't bother with the PISA.

Caveat that I had an oversupply with my first and had to very minimally pump to get what I needed and then only pumped for about 2.5 months aside from building a small stash before covid SIP hit for DD2 and she was home full time. My milk just dried up and she's 19 months but I haven't pumped since March.

@theblondebump like mentioned above, you might be able to find it online but not necessarily. With my first I called, with my second it was online but I had to call them to get help. The two biggest suppliers I recall are aeroflow and edgepark. I used aeroflow the first time and it was super simple. Edgepark was also good but I didn't have the upgrade option like I did the first time (paid $99 for the battery spectra). I will say the first time it was so easy to find the suppliers but the second time the website just had a list that was insanely long and I had to call and ask for help and eventually was like "can you just look these two up?" The website gave me medical suppliers but places that only made wheelchairs or heart monitors, etc. You actually can just go onto either/both of those suppliers websites (aeroflow and edgepark) and enter in your insurance info and they'll tell you if you can use them. They bill your insurance. That was what I did first before DD2 and aeroflow kicked it back immediately when I entered my insurance info as not included. And both websites will just show you which ones your insurance will cover. What I loved about aeroflow is that they let me add on extra pump parts and bottles and pay myself but it was wayyy cheaper than anything I could find from Amazon, buy buy baby, etc. Highly recommend them if they are a covered supplier. Edgepark was good too, but not as many little perks like that.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @kvh22 Thank you for that information! How long did it take for aeroflow to get back to you to tell you that you're covered? When I put my information in, it said something like "you're officially covered..." and it led me to the shop for pumps with the insurance price, but when I look at the timeline on my account it doesn't have "approval" checked off. 
  • Options
    @bbrahmbhatt so I believe (and this was 3.5+ years ago) that they could figure out right away what was covered (if anything) and only showed me options that were. Then you select it and that's when they actually bill insurance and it goes to approval? It was immediate, essentially but they don't submit anything to your insurance for approval until you select. Does that make sense? Your making me want to go check mine but technically idk if mine will be different in 2021 (same plan but sometimes things change).

• Options
    @bbrahmbhatt okay I just went in and clearly I'm misremembering but I was contacted pretty quickly about my options. Sorry for the confusion. I filled it out now and will wait to hear from someone. They were sooo helpful, too.

• Options
    @kvh22 I did the whole process and they gave me a selection with the insurance prices. I selected one, and I got an email saying "you're approved" and that they were contacting my provided for a prescription. So I guess that is it? 
  • Options
    @bbrahmbhatt they weren't in network for me but said their partner company acceleron was and I had the same experience where it showed me the options right away.

So now...I can pay $275 for the Elvie. I already have an S1 (battery) and S9 (also battery, portable, not as powerful). I can't decide if it's worth it for that price considering that I will be working from home 🤔

• Options
    @kvh22 that's a tough call. I think I remember you saying that you breastfed your last babe for over a year, so maybe it would still be worth it. I was given a gently used Spectra (the pink one) but I wanted a battery one that I could use on the go since I will be working at the hospital after baby is born and not from home. 
  • Options
    @bbrahmbhatt and @kvh22 you should check out legendairymilk on Instagram. She posts a hack every now and then that shows you an external battery you can get on Amazon that you can attach to the pink Spectra for pumping on the go. My insurance wouldn’t cover the blue, so I just did that and it worked great!
  • Options
    My insurance required that I had a prescription for a pump.  They didn't tell me that when I called though, so I got billed for the pump and it was annoying trying to get it straightened out.  Health insurance sucks and even if you call them and try to do it right it might be a pain.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @bbrahmbhatt I BFed both girls until 16 & 18 months old but only pumped for my first until 11 months b/c I had too big a stash (and barely pumped with my second since she was home full time once the pandemic hit). There's a chance we can get MIL to watch baby at our house while I'm working from home for the first year (so for 8 months after my mat leave) while I work from home with some help from my mom and sister so if no daycare, I'd probably BF more than pump which is my biggest hesitation. I asked my last BMB and two moms had the Elvie and both loved it. One was a SAHM who used it while playing with her kids and the other had a demanding job outside the home so that seemed pretty reassuring that they both thought it was worth it. I'd also still have daycare drop offs and potentially (eventually) some business travel.

Also, why is insurance so darn hard to navigate?? I've heard the prescription thing but never had to deal with it. Are you on different insurance from that time @kadeephd?

• Options
    @kvh22 Yes, I am. I sent a message to this insurance in the "secure message system" hoping to avoid the phone, but that was before Christmas and I haven't heard back, so I suspect I'm in for an annoying phone call.  And who knows if they'll give me the right info.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kadeephd well hopefully you don't need a prescription this time 🤞. I called mine a couple of times and the "what am I eligible for" call was the most straightforward. Questions about eligible providers we're always such a hassle.

• Options
    I still didn't get a response to my online message to the insurance company so I called this morning.  The woman I talked to seemed completely clueless and was not helpful.  She said the pump should be covered and I do need a prescription, but couldn't advise me on how to actually purchase a pump.  Last time they had me go through edgepark (different insurance).  I guess I'll just try to do that again.  She seemed to think any breast pump I choose would be covered and I could order it anywhere, which was not the case last time.  I guess I'll ask at my appointment tomorrow and also wait for a response to my online message since I don't think she knew what she was talking about.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kadeephd hmm I wonder if you can call back and get a different person. All 3 times I had a set of options to choose from and it didn't include everything (like this time the Willow isn't an option but the Elvie is). I also had some options for accessories for a better deal than buying them new (either adding on or buying as a set with the pump and paying a bit of an upgrade fee - like a pump bag and extra parts).

Anyone heard of the Elvie Curve? I'ts not a breast pump but it's a milk collecting device so still probably applicable for this thread. I think I'm going to get it (it's $50 and will catch your leaks + a bit of stimulation while baby nurses on the other side - similar to but a potentially a big upgrade from the haaka which I have and LOVE).

P.S. for FTMs or moms who haven't had a baby recently - the Haaka is also amazing. Definitely look into it or something similar like the Elvie Curve. Happy to answer questions. I know ppl who have said they don't leak ever so it wasn't super effective for them but even mom friends with low supply said they could get a bottle by the end of the day using it at every feeding. I actually only really used it at the first feeding or two a day and could get a bottle. I'm hoping the Elvie Curve is a bit more user friendly b/c I definitely spilled the haaka and had to adjust it a good amount sometimes.

• Options
    bbrahmbhattbbrahmbhatt member
    edited January 2021
    Update on my aeroflow experience:
    My insurance website was NOT that helpful, other than to say a breastpump is considered durable medical equipment and is therefore covered by insurance. *eyeroll* I submitted my information to aeroflow, and I pretty much immediately got a screen saying "you are officially covered" and directed me to pick out a pump with reduced prices indicating what I would pay out of pocket. I chose the battery Spectra pump kit, which was an "insurance upgrade". I placed the order, and I then got an email with my timeline showing "youre approved" and that insurance required a prescription, which Aeroflow was working on getting from my provider (I was able to look my OB up on their system, and they surprisingly had her contact info already). I waited for ~2 days, then I got a message from my OB's nurse saying they faxed the order over to aeroflow. I logged on to aeroflow today, and it shows a FedEx tracking number for my pump. Overall, incredibly easy! I was a little like "is anything happening" in those few days, but I tend to be a little impatient so that's probably just me. I hope this will be helpful to someone! For reference, I have Blue Cross Blue Shield, which seems to be a national partner with aeroflow. I had quite a few different options to choose from, including Medela, Spectra and Elvie. I also checked out Edgepark, which only had a couple of options for me that were covered, but I imagine the process would be fairly similar. 

@kvh22 thanks for the advice RE the Haaka! I just added the collection Haaka to my registry! 
  • Options
    Haakaa questions. So in the early days, baby usually just nurses on one side so clearly you would use the haakaa on the other side. So for the next bf session, put baby on side you had the haakaa on previously?

Now when baby gets older and nurses on both sides, how do you use the haakaa? Guessing on the side the were on second (so after baby is done) since they usually take more milk when they first start nursing. 

Hope this makes sense.
  • Options
    @Lexibizzel I would use the haaka on the opposite side that baby is on FIRST b/c I believe that's where they get *most* of the milk when you offer both breasts. That being said, I have always dealt with an oversupply so in 34 months of breastfeeding have never offered both sides so it's much easier for me to just put it on the side I'm not using that session. I could get 3-4oz or more on the first feeding of the day but by the end of the day would get nothing (but still had plenty of milk). We can talk about this closer to when we actually have our babies but also, the best way to get it to suction tightly is to flip the top back and put it in the right spot, then release it. I'd just Google "how to attach the haaka" if you haven't used it or used it this way before.

• Options
    Just ordered the S9 spectra! I took out my old S2 spectra and it seems like it’s still working great and I only used it for about 500 hours; it definitely felt like more at the time! I found on an unaffiliated website that they typically last at least 1500 hours so I hopefully have another 1000 hours to go! Also hoping I’m more successful with BF this time around and won’t have to rely on the pump so much but now I have a more portable option in addition to my trusty old s2!
  • Options
    @jenn622-2 I plan to do the same! 😊
  • Options
    @jenn622-2 I got rid of my old Spectra S2 and am kinda regretting it now!  I am not sure how many hours I pumped but I doubt it was anywhere close to1500.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kadeephd I exclusively pumped with mine for 11 months and mine was just under 500 hours. I was kind of shocked it was that low. 
  • Options
    kadeephdkadeephd member
    edited January 2021
    @BuckeyeNut05 I just went back and checked my total hours (I had taken a picture of the total hours before I got rid of it) and it was only 150!  Definitely should have hung onto it.  Oh well.  I was in purge mode.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kadeephd I purged soooo much baby stuff cuz I was sure we were 1 and done. The pump was the one thing I kept!

FYI - I got a notice from Edgepark the S9 is on back order. I’ve noticed this a lot with appliances and stuff since manufacturing and distribution has been effected by the pandemic so be sure to order early as you may not receive for a while!!!
  • Options
    @jenn622-2 I loved having the S9! I only pumped for 2.5 months before the pandemic hit and my 10mo started being home with us full time so I never had to pull out my original Spectra (S1).

A mom in my moms group with my second told me about 1naturalway.com which will give you a 15% discount on upgrades so I just submitted my info there. Worth saving $50 on the Elvie pump if I can so we shall see. They apparently let you order accessories, too (obviously not covered by insurance but for a discount).