April 2021 Moms
Options

Braxton Hicks Contractions

I know it's normal to have braxton hicks starting in your 2nd or 3rd trimester, but how intense is too intense?

Mine started a couple weeks ago and yesterday they started getting really intense and almost a little painful.  Yesterday I had one painful one from like 3-5 pm and then another intense one from 6-7 pm.  Both non-stop. This morning they are happening again.  In my previous pregnancy I had them but never this intense. 

Research doesn't give me a clear verdict.  I don't have any amniotic fluid or bloody show and I think that I should hold off on calling my OB unless it gets unbearable/start to get water/blood. 

Honestly a bit nervous since I'm only 21-22 weeks. 

Re: Braxton Hicks Contractions

• Options
    I haven't had them but sending a hug because I can imagine how stressful that would be. I would probably shoot my OB an email just to be sure- even though they are hit or miss it probably wouldn't hurt to have them know about it
  • Options
    @eahayes Thanks so much! The virtual hug means a lot. If they keep happening intensely I'll contact her. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @aquamala I had painful ones last Wednesday night for about an hour with cramping earlier in the day. When I told my MFM about them on Monday he was a little concerned and told me that it is possible to have actual contractions this early. He said if it happens again, drink a bunch of water and lay on my left side. If they don't stop to call them. They are looking for 5 or more contractions in an hour. One thing he tested me for was a bladder infection, i guess 5-10% of pregnant women get bladder infections without typical symptoms and it can cause contractions. 

I'd call your doctor since it's happened more than once. Better to be on the safe side! 
  • Options
    @cagncoo12 wow very useful info thanks! I'm glad yours got better 
  • Options
    I hope you’re feeling better tonight and your body has calmed down! It sounds so stressful, I wouldn’t be scared to call your doctor just to check in with their thoughts. I had two really painful cramping instances that scared me and those ended up being no problem, but I still called and the peace of mind was so relieving when they explained what it sounded like. 
  • Options
    I’m sorry you’re dealing with that! I have been having BH contractions but wouldn’t describe them as intense or painful. I always justify contractions as BH because they’re not painful! I would definitely call for peace of mind if it keeps up. Regardless of what research says, if I’m uncomfortable or worried about something I’ll call! ❤️
  • Options
    Definitely call to put your mind at ease! Better to be safe than sorry, right? I've been having BH but they're not intense or painful.
  • Options
    @aquamala, they get stronger with each pregnancy. And I've noticed them as early as 17w. Mine are occasionally downright painful, like a mild to moderate menstrual cramp and sometimes last as long as a minute.shifting positions helps. 

I'd call anyway, because those cervix thinning and dilating contractions can mimic BH later in pregnancy. But, I've always been able to tell thee difference by where the contraction is. Front and center, with bladder pressure... BH. In the lower back and reaching to the front, regular. 
  • Options
    I would definitely call your doctor- they are there for these kinds of things. My experiences gave me similar input as @cagncoo12 and @aisukurimsarang provided. Even if they are just BH, you want to be sure its not signs of any early labor and have your doctor aware and potentially tracking you for other signs/symptoms.

I had veryyyy regular BH with DS from 32wk on. I even had some in an appt with my OB, so she got to see firsthand what was happening. As a FTM then, later in pregnancy, and the fact that they weren't painful she was not concerned. She did tell me to time them and if they stay consistent for more than 3hrs to call and potentially go to L&D for monitoring.
    This pregnancy, I started getting them around 21wk. It worried me that they were so early, but I called my OB and they weren't concerned since they were extremely irregular, usually with activity, and subsided shortly after I laid down. However, the last 3 or so days I've had some painful ones (DS actually said to me "mama tummy hurts" last night when I had one because he could tell!). I see my OB later this morning, though, and will definitely be bringing it up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I’m 22 weeks and have been getting them since about 17 weeks. My doctors also told me not to worry much unless they are occurring at regular intervals for more than and hour or two. They also told me lower abdomen contractions are not as concerning as those starting higher up. For me, I get BH when I have to pee so I’ve been trying to empty my bladder frequently before I feel like I “have” to go. My doctor told me it is possible for BH to shorten your cervix (I’ve read otherwise on some boards but my doctor says they can) so it wouldn’t hurt to get checked out even if it’s just for peace of mind. 
  • Options
    Wow I am so blessed to have such an abundance of wise words and support <3 The BH contractions' intensity died down after Tuesday and things are back to normal.  I feel way better knowing that some of you have been experiencing more intense BH and everything is still good.  I guess it's just normal for them to get more intense the 2nd/3rd/4th time around. 
  • Options
    @aguamala I’m glad they’ve calmed down! I asked the NP at my appointment today about BH because I’ve been having them too. She said it’s normal now, and mentioned that as long as they’re staying down lower in my belly that it’s okay. She said if they’re high up or reaching around to my back, then that’s a time to be concerned. I had back labor with DD1 and that was miserable! 
  • Options
    Twice this week, I've had this feeling/sensation - I wouldn't exactly describe it as pain, more like discomfort, but it's in the upper left portion of my abdomen (like top left portion of bump) and the only way I can describe it is that all of a sudden it feels like there's a huge rock in that area, haha. Like a sudden tightening sort of but feels like there's something hard there inside of my stomach. Could that be BH? Or any other ideas of what it could be? It happened while I was at the grocery store this week and a few other random times over the course of two or three days. Again, wouldn't really describe it as painful, but not pleasant either. 
  • Options
    @theblondebump, It sounds like you're having a BH and that's where baby or placenta is. I'm blessed with extra padding, and I can't feel the contractions from the outside, except where Zoe is. A good way to tell...

TMI/PG13

If you aren't on pelvic rest, the next time you climax, feel around your stomach. Your uterus gets super hard afterwards. Also a great way to find and feel your fundal height!

Just don't be alarmed if you cramp a tiny bit for a few minutes.