May 2021 Moms
Options

Wk 1 due dates check in (5/1-5/7), w/o 12/14

yellingbananayellingbanana member
edited December 2020 in May 2021 Moms
This will be the last week I post a week 1 check in. There just aren’t enough of us! So next week let’s join week 2 due dates check in. 

Estimated Due Date / Weeks + Days:
FTM/STM/STM+:  
Team Green/Pink/Blue/Finding Out:  
Interesting Baby Fact / Baby is the size of:  
Upcoming appointments:  
How are you feeling?  
Rants/Raves:  
Questions:  
GTKY: Do you prefer cold? warm? to never leave your perfectly temperature controlled bubble?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Wk 1 due dates check in (5/1-5/7), w/o 12/14

• Options
    Estimated Due Date / Weeks + Days: May 4th, 20 weeks
    FTM/STM/STM+:  Third
    Team Green/Pink/Blue/Finding Out:  Green
    Interesting Baby Fact / Baby is the size of:  The world's best boss mug from The Office
    Upcoming appointments:  Thursday just a normal appt. 
    How are you feeling?  Mostly fine but overly emotional. 
    Rants/Raves:  I am waiting on a few packages but other than that I am done with Christmas shopping, such a relief because I did a ton online and waited until the last days of shipping haha. 
    Questions:  None
    GTKY: Do you prefer cold? warm? to never leave your perfectly temperature controlled bubble? I prefer warm always. I HATE being cold. 

• Options
    Hey ladies! I know I've been MIA on these the last couple weeks... life and work have just been too crazy for down time on the Bump app, Haha.  Roger on joining Week 2 check-in starting next week. 

Estimated Due Date / Weeks + Days: Cinco de Mayo 🌮🌮🌮
    FTM/STM/STM+:  FTM
    Team Green/Pink/Blue/FO:  Pink 💗
    Interesting Baby Fact / Baby is the size of: A venti Starbucks!  
    Upcoming appointments:  OB Dec 29th
    How are you feeling?  Great! Wish I had more time to be more active though. Working from home, I sit on the couch in meetings for hours. I take them on the go when I can, but it's rare. 
    Rants/Raves:  See above 😬
    Questions: How did you figure out all the crap you needed to buy and what brands to get when you were a FTM? I'm trying to get things together and am a pretty analytical person, so just trying to tackle what I can but it's a lot. My husband wants to buy as many things used as possible (the perpetual moneysaver mindset), which I'm not totally opposed to, but there are definitely things I will put my foot down as must be bought new. 
    GTKY: Do you prefer cold? warm? to never leave your perfectly temperature controlled bubble? I don't like being very cold or super sweaty, so no preference there, but I do like the change in seasons and the feelings/scents/activities they bring...so I guess I'm saying I don't mind either as long as there's some variety!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @ruby0902 What do you think must be new?  
    - I would say breast pump, soothers, and bottles, nose frida, thermometers/safety kit. And obviously things like soap, shampoo and rash cream. 
    I've bought everything else second-hand. 
    Although, some parents prefer to buy their car seat brand new, because there's an intense checklist if you buy them secondhand. 

I've posted this before, but keep in mind that not all big things are necessary. You choose if they are important for you and your family. 
  • Options
    Hotdamn @littlelibelula nice chart! And yes, agreed with you there on the new vs. used. @ruby0902 Do buy a car seat new, but you can get a used stroller. 

When I was a ftm, I was 22, and we had just moved to San Diego on our own. So money was tight. Luckily I have two older sisters that had their babies before me and they were young, struggling moms. So they knew what I *needed. Obviously clothes and diapers, but don’t go overboard on the clothes as they grow out of each size fairly quickly until they are 2yrs. Also, DD1 was kind of big and grew fast, we straight up skipped everything 9mo size and went from 6 to 12 months. 
    As far as brands, I found Graco was reliable and affordable. I love their swings, their strollers and car seats are good and rate well on safety. I’m splurging with this baby, but this is my 4th, last, I’m 36, and we are in a much better place financially. But I did get a mamaroo swing with my 3rd and was very disappointed. The weight limit was low, so my son only used it until he was about 4 months. Whereas my Graco swings lasted to about 18 months. Plus the mamaroo kept stopping randomly, or would randomly start swinging super hard. Everything Graco I have always liked. And I would recommend just a swing, not a bouncer, not any other random surfaces to put baby. Either they are in their crib/bassinet or swing. Also, blankets on the floor for hanging out are fine too. 
    After 3 kids, a daycare, and nannying, I have a lot more experience now. Kids don’t need all of the things that are on Amazon’s registry. With each item, ask yourself: do you NEED it or does it just seem like a good idea. Just get basics to start, and if you need to buy things along the way, go for it. 

Things you don’t need:
    wipe warmer
    bottle sanitizer (dishwasher, boil, both work just fine)
    bottle drying rack (use your regular drying rack)
    baby towels or wash cloths (use your regular ones)

And here are some good reads that I totally agree with:
    https://www.baby-chick.com/unnecessary-baby-products/

• Options
    @ruby0902 I’m a FTM mom, too, so I’ve mostly relied on recs from my most trusted friends whose style is closest to mine. I found a ton of overlap in their picks, so I felt good about the bigger decisions. There are some things I have to do more research on, like breast pumps and accessories, and I really love our product spotlight threads here for those types of items when I want to hear about a lot of experiences/price points. 

A friend put this together after baby #2, and I wound up taking a lot of cues from her. 

• Options
    Estimated Due Date / Weeks + Days: 20+6, due date May 1st 
    FTM/STM/STM+:  4th time mom
    Team Green/Pink/Blue/Finding Out:  pink!
    Interesting Baby Fact / Baby is the size of:  a microphone 
    Upcoming appointments:  just had my 4th ultrasound at mfm, have regular ob on Thursday 
    How are you feeling?  My back has been hurting easily, and my belly button (DD2 gave me a herniated belly button).
    Rants/Raves:  I could use a drink, but won’t. I’m SO excited to have 2 weeks off, I can do some house cleaning and organizing that usually gets left for last. 
    Questions:  
    GTKY: Do you prefer cold? warm? to never leave your perfectly temperature controlled bubble? I prefer cold because I like to bundle up. I don’t like wearing summer clothes. The more layers the better! I could probably live in Alaska and be just fine.