March 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Toys

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing toys!  

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite toy:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it: are there toys you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Are there toys you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on toys?:

For FTMs:

• Toy you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:
To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IrF0iah5XaJFdFTHzNVcIEq4ujZTwq_j1bG9W-bovNs/edit#gid=0
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Product Spotlight: Toys

• Options
    This one is simple - you don’t need anything. You are the toy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We got this baby gym because it came with a tummy time pillow I also got these because I am a sucker for wooden toys (at Target!) but yeah they really don't need toys right away... these are basically decorations for now 😂
    DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like the idea of the simpler toys vs all the electronics. 
  • Options
    These were my son's favorites when he was a baby (1-6m)
    Fisher Price Kick n Play Piano
    Manhattan Toy Skwish Rattle/Teether
    Together 2007 | Married 2011 | Me: 36 | DH: 38
    Adopted Furbaby: 2014
    TTC#1 : 1/2016 | IUI #2 - BFP 12/24/16 -- born 9/8/17
    TTC#2: 11/2019 | Dx DOR (AMH 0.3), AMA
    IUI #2 - BFP 7/1/20 -- EDD 3/14/21
  • Options
    When I had DS we received so many gifts from friends and family. I opened up every box and tried to put everything to use. I think about it now and asides from a teething toy and floor mat for tummy time, we didn’t need anything else from birth to 3 months. I also went to an early years professional learning seminar (Reggio inspired)  and it was so interesting the things they were doing with babies. They put a huge emphasis creating spaces for independent exploration with lots of natural and recycled materials. Toys are very open-ended. I just tried to Google Reggio baby and this is what showed up. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Idk if these are toys... but the sit-me-up seat and the fisher price infant to toddler rocker were probably the first things DS “played” with at 1-3 months, supervised obvi. Helped him learn to reach and grab. And those light weight rattles and such. 
    Me: 30   DH: 29
    Together: 3/2007
    Married: 5/30/2015
    BFP #1: 9/14/2015
    EDD: 5/20/2016
  • Options
    We also used a little recliner chair early on and a play mat, but that was it super early on. Then after about 3 mo I had a little mirror for tummy time and these big black and white shape cards she liked to look at. We also read tons of books early on and I like to think that's why she's so interested in books now 
  • Options
    I do have to say- at first I was really into trying to buy learning/development toys, but in the past 6 months my daughter's favorite toys are just random things from around the house we give her- various sizes of plastic containers with lids (from used up food/pantry items), an egg crate, small pots and pans, wooden spoon, scarves, an old purse- just too emphasize what @redselig said about not always needing to buy 'toys'. 
  • Options
    Oh! One more thought- I highly recommend 'rotating' toys. Every month or two I'll go through and store a batch of toys in the closet, then bring out some other toys that have been put away for a while. This has really helped to cut down on the clutter in our living room (aka play room lol) and keeps her interested in the same toys for a long time 
  • Options
    @sunny_native14 I totally agree with a lot of what you said.  We read to DS a ton starting 2 months-ish and he LOVES books now.  Also, we're pretty minimalistic when it comes to toys so we definitely rotate toys and books every month or two! 
    Together 2007 | Married 2011 | Me: 36 | DH: 38
    Adopted Furbaby: 2014
    TTC#1 : 1/2016 | IUI #2 - BFP 12/24/16 -- born 9/8/17
    TTC#2: 11/2019 | Dx DOR (AMH 0.3), AMA
    IUI #2 - BFP 7/1/20 -- EDD 3/14/21
  • Options
    @sunny_native14 I agree with all of the above! We have always read a minimum of two books a day to our boys and they LOVE books (which will likely change once they get older but at least we gave them a good start!). My kid's favorite toys are also not technically toys - they enjoy stacking Tupperware, banging on it with kitchen utensils, playing in cardboard boxes, etc. Mainly because I couldn't stand the clutter of all their toys in their rooms at any given time, we also started rotating things in and out from the garage every couple months. It keeps them from getting bored with having the same toys for several months before getting anything new, forces them to focus on and really learn from the fewer number of toys they do have, and keeps down the clutter. Win-win-win in my book!