May 2021 Moms
Options

Tuesday Tips!

Heard some amazing advice for pregnancy back pain? Secret newborn tips? Share it all here!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Tuesday Tips!

• Options
    Ignore everyone who tells you that breastfeeding comes naturally, and is so easy. Is it beautiful and fulfilling? Yes. Is it easy to figure out what you're doing and get started? No.
    I breastfed all three of mine for 10-12 months, and even with my third the start was a little rocky, and took time.
  • Options
    @mrosek91 omg! yes!! after the first 2 months it became easy and natural feeling, but not while we were still figuring out what we were doing!

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @yellingbanana
    all the berries will be in season! might be too early for peaches and watermelon, but berries will be plentiful in may!

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    @gusgus14 😂 that’s amazing! They didn’t feel the way I expected either. They felt like menstrual cramps until like an hour after my water broke when I was in transition. Then they got intense, but still not in the way I imagined.
  • Options
    I agree on breastfeeding, the first month with my first born was treacherous. Once you get the hang of it though it's so rewarding. I load up on lanolin, and the lansinoh soothies that I leave in the fridge and put on after nursing. The hakka pumps are also amazing for catching extra milk when you let down. 

• Options
    @mrosek91 Wow, best advice ever. I wish someone told me and I listened. Yes, my body was created for breastfeeding, but that doesn't mean my baby will automatically latch on it's own and milk will come flooding out. I had heard of different type of nipples, but I just assumed mine would be normal. 

Find out if you have inverted, flat, etc nipples BEFORE you give birth and strategies for whatever type you have. My first experience with breastfeeding was a nurse telling me to twist my nipples like a nut on a screw. That was the most confusing and frustrating advice ever. Didn't work and didn't get the reason. A massage or even imagining the gentle motion of milking a cow is useful, not twisting your nipple. I found the manual pump suction was really helpful and there are nipple exactor devices you can use the week before if you really feel the need. Nipple stimulation can induce labour, don't start too early. 

Also, I always assumed my baby would just see the nipple, smell it and latch. At least until 4-6 months I had to insert my breast into his mouth every time. Never used a nursing shield because I couldn't latch him with a blanket smothering his head. 
  • Options
    @littlelibelula I'm so sorry you had that experience! I also have/had flat nipples and worried about being able to nurse and my OB said it wouldn't be an issue and when in the hospital the lactation consultant helped me so much.I hope you are able to get the help you need to reach your goals this time!

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    edited December 2020
    @mkc3888 I was so starry eyed with breastfeeding. Hopefully not TMI, but now my nipples are so stretchy, like pulling on a cow udder or a baby bottle, its a big difference from the first days when there was no stretch and very short. I'll probably be doing tandem feeding, a whole other set of learning curves, so my nipples will still be soft and supple. But I'll have to be patient and teach the new baby. Definitely excited to see the difference. 

Liga de leche (La Leche League International), was amazing for me. Without them I would've never reached my goals. They're even supporting me with my tandem goals. Definitely reach out to them, join a breastfeeding group when you're pregnant. Even if you get great lactaction consultants in the hospital, haing a breast-feeding support community is really helpful if that's your goal. 
  • Options
    I used to have an inverted nipple. When my first was born and the lactation consultant was showing me how to ‘hold your boob like a big burger’, that helped a lot. It is kinda weird having some organ your boob and insert it into your baby’s mouth though 🤣

Also, it did take about a month for me to get reasonably comfortable with breastfeeding. It hurt like hell for a while and especially the letdowns. But with my 2nd and 3rd, it was way easier. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    @littlelibelula I'm glad you were able to still breastfeed.  Hopefully this time will be easier.  

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021