July 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 12/01: Baby Carriers

Hi all! For today's Product Spotlight, let's talk Baby Carriers! With the upcoming season, there will likely be lots of sales so good time to get things ahead of time! 

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

Re: Product Spotlight 12/01: Baby Carriers

• Options
    My 2 favourites are: 

1. Happy Baby Carrier. Because the waist band is at your true waist, it provides better back support. It's also linen and the colours are gorgeous. I use this all the time for my kiddo still at 15 months. 

2. Lillebaby. I used this all the time before I got my HBC. My husband uses it as his carrier now. I also loved it and I love it for long term wear as it is comfy but bulky. I used it from the time my DS was a few days old. 

I tried wraps and slings but I hated them all as I never found it gave enough support since my DS was a bigger baby. 

• Options
    i use a baby ktan for when they’re super little and don’t weigh much but I’m a hardcore tula girl. I used a standard size with my son until he outgrew it and then moved to a toddler size. At 4 years and 45lbs, he will still randomly go in it (not now that I’m pregnant). I’m hoping for the tula explore or a free to grow to replace my standard because I don’t like having to use the infant insert, especially during the summer 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also use baby k’tan for teenies, then switched to ergo 360. A friend gave me a lillebaby which I’ll try out this time too

• Options
    With a tiny baby I loved a stretchy wrap and a ring sling. I also have a mei tai but by the time I got it I wasn’t carrying as much as I was. 
    Then we mainly used an ergo 360 omni (or whatever it’s called). It’s supposed to fit from birth without an insert but that wasn’t at all true for my small baby. She was way too low inside it.  It has served us well from 4 months to almost 2 but my husband doesn’t find it particularly comfortable, unfortunately. I expect we’ll be looking for something else this time around. 
  • Options
    oh also when should I stop front carrying my DS? Anyone know?

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I mentioned before that we tried legit every carrier!!  DS hated them all as a small baby.
    The one he finally was fine with at about 5 months was the Baby Bjorn Carrier One (but only outward facing or on the back - he would never be a forward facer).  I really like this one, it's comfy and easy to get on by yourself (I struggled with this with other structured carriers). 

This time around I'm going to try this JJ Cole Agility carrier that I have left over from when DS was a newborn, it was super comfy/easy to use (just DS hated it) so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed this little babe tolerates a carrier because they seem SO convenient for seconds.

*edited to say outward facing, not front facing!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I’ve been looking at these for carriers. They have cute neutral designs and the videos make it look pretty easy to use 

https://tuckandbundleshop.com/

We have an ergo 360 from DD but I found it to be kind of bulky and really hot in the summer months. It’s super thick so not very breathable. I loved that during the colder months, but couldn’t stand it in the summer 

• Options
    Tula and infantino Mei Tai fan here. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    daisy528daisy528 member
    edited December 2020
    Solly wrap when they are tiny, then I split the time between a Tula and my Ergo. 
  • Options
    I switch between Mamaway and Sakura Bloom, I used the Mamaway a little bit more since it provides extra convenience when we're outdoors. It can be folded into a little pouch for storage or for when I don't need to use the carrier anymore. It also has a tail for privacy when I breastfeed. The Sakura Bloom is a little more comfy though, it's made out of linen and it's perfect for hot days. You could also check out this list: https://netparents.org/baby-products/baby-carriers/best-ring-slings-reviews/ if you're looking into ring slings as carriers. My baby seems to like ring slings a little bit more than traditional carriers, maybe it's because she's more comfortable in her position in the ring sling.
  • Options
    Infant: Maya Wrap & Babyhawk Mei Tai

3 month+ : BityBean - - it's under a pound and works in pools - - sooooooo lightweight it's like air!

We LOVE Olives & Applesauce soft structured but I sold both of mine but got a great deal on a Boba4G new so I got that!  It has an infant insert, too, and stirrups for older kids, so hoping it'll be great!

We also have a few woven wraps -- Didymos, etc... we'll see if I use them!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Another vote for the k’tan and Tula! I couldn’t get the hang of ring slings but we used the Tula up until a year ago. Now girly just likes to walk and the only carrying is in our hiking backpack which I think she’ll have outgrown by next season. 

This time around I’m on the hunt for a twin front carrier, the only ones I’ve seen so far divide the babies between front & back. 
  • Options
    I ended up buying a Tula secondhand because a friend said it wouldn’t hurt me like the Ergo does. I’m skeptical but willing to try! I don’t like baby wearing bc my neck and shoulders start to hurt and get sore really quickly 

• Options
    @sojoba I think the only way to carry twins in the front is using ring slings or wraps. All the structured carriers I’ve seen for two kids is one in front and one in back. 

@DuchessOfCambridge neither tula nor ergo should hurt if you’re using them correctly, my son lived in a tula until the world shut down so I’m happy to help with a fit check to make sure things are placed where they need to be and tightened correctly. It’s also possible that you may need a toddler size if your older kiddo is getting too big. Using a small carrier with a big kid definitely not comfortable at all
  • Options
    @marikkita12 I’ve had the Ergo 360 with both kids and I am fairly certain I put it on right but idk after a while of wearing a 15+ lb child it makes me shoulders so tense and sore. Fit check would be great later just in case

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge I agree with @marikkita12 that it might be the fit.  If the straps are too tight it can cause tension along your shoulders.  

@sojoba I've only ever seen twins carried in ring slings or wrapped.  I think I've seen a carrier for twins during infancy...a weego.  I have no experience with it but you could check it out.  
  • Options
    thanks thanks! @marikkita12 & @tiggywiggles

@DuchessOfCambridge I agree that it’s probably fit...I very comfortable girly for long periods when she was over 30lbs. 

• Options
    @marikkita12 when the time comes I’d love a fit check too, for my H! The ergo works really well for me but he could never get comfortable with it and being the stronger one of the two of us, that wasn’t super helpful. 😄 
  • Options
    i would be happy to help whoever with any ergo or tula carrier since those are the ones im familiar with. 

For those of you that are planning to baby wear, check out Suse’s kindercoat on Amazon. We don’t have seasons where I live so I only got the fleece but I love it. It is one of the few coats I found that allows you to wear a baby on your back. It also has inserts to wear babies on the side (like a hip carry or in a ring sling) or in the front. They have a real weather one that is also a windbreaker and has hoods for both adult and baby. I’d be happy to share the link if anyone is interested 
  • Options
    @marikkita12 please share! I just searched on Amazon and couldn’t find anything. 
  • Options
    this is the whole jacket for people with seasons
    Suse's Kinder Deluxe Babywearing Coat 3 in 1 Jacket for Men and Women Also Works for Maternity https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B017BZA8JY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_mvWdGbAN3GYKZ

This is just the fleece for people without seasons
    Suse's Kinder Babywearing Fleece Jacket for Use Over Baby Carrier https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0161R3YCQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_vwWdGbK566W8C