1st Trimester

Feeling guilty...Is this normal?

Hi everyone. My husband and I have been so excited about beginning out TTC journey. I've always dreamed of being a mother and couldn't wait to get/be pregnant. It's all I ever wanted. We got a BFP way sooner than we ever expected we would have. I'm currently 6 weeks. I've been experiencing a whirlwind of emotions, from extreme excitement to anxiety, fear, and guilt. This is all I wanted for us and I'm ashamed that I'm not over the moon. I'm anxious about what will happen to my body, whether this is the right time, etc. Is this normal? Will this dissipate as time goes on? It's still so early that I'm wondering if once I see the heartbeat, my entire mindset will change. It's not that I'm not excited because I am. I was one of those women who was convinced I was going to have trouble TTC and we got pregnant on the first try! Has anyone experienced this? Thanks so much. 

Re: Feeling guilty...Is this normal?

• vmanch said:
    Hi everyone. My husband and I have been so excited about beginning out TTC journey. I've always dreamed of being a mother and couldn't wait to get/be pregnant. It's all I ever wanted. We got a BFP way sooner than we ever expected we would have. I'm currently 6 weeks. I've been experiencing a whirlwind of emotions, from extreme excitement to anxiety, fear, and guilt. This is all I wanted for us and I'm ashamed that I'm not over the moon. I'm anxious about what will happen to my body, whether this is the right time, etc. Is this normal? Will this dissipate as time goes on? It's still so early that I'm wondering if once I see the heartbeat, my entire mindset will change. It's not that I'm not excited because I am. I was one of those women who was convinced I was going to have trouble TTC and we got pregnant on the first try! Has anyone experienced this? Thanks so much. 
    Yes. 
    Just try to relax and the feelings should get better the more you get used to it as time goes on. I’m assuming if you started TTGP you were ready, and even if you weren’t it will be okay. Celebrate the fact that you were able to conceive so quickly and try to focus on the positives if you’re feeling overwhelmed by any negative thoughts. You can always reach out to your doc to talk to someone too if it’s hard to cope with anxiety. 
  • Sure, it's normal to feel that way. I had a hard time conceiving so I spent the majority of both of my pregnancies holding my breath and didn't really release my guard until 3rd trimester. I think a lot of women experience conflicting emotions when it comes to pregnancy. I actually don't know anyone who got pregnant and enjoyed the whole ride :) it's gonna be okay though. You figure it out. After having my first I marveled at how my mom managed three small children. Here I am, with three small kids myself, and it's okay. It's a cliche to say it'll come naturally - but it's true. No one knows what the hell they're doing. The first night in the hospital with my newborn son I literally sat up all night staring at him because I was scared if I let my eyes drift from him he'd stop breathing and it would be my fault. His was the first diaper I'd ever changed. I didn't know anything about feeding techniques, sleep solutions, what to do if he got sick, or any of it. You just roll with it as things happen and figure out what your baby wants/needs. Every kid is different, too, so just because your friend had a baby with colic and severe cradle cap doesn't mean your baby will have the same problems. Parenting is something you can't really prepare for no matter how many books you read or forums you consult... just try to take it easy and know you'll do what comes naturally and that's what will be best for your baby. Good luck, and congratulations!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks SO much everyone. It's been only a week since I posted that but I'm already feeling less scared and so much more excited. I have my first ultrasound on Tuesday and while it's nerve wracking to think of worst case scenarios, I'm doing my best to stay positive and I'm so so happy to be pregnant.