Weekly Check-In 11/23

How far along are you? (Weeks + Days):

FTM/STM/STM+:

Interesting Baby Fact/Baby is the size of:

Upcoming appointments:

How are you feeling?:

Rants/Raves:

Questions:

GTKY: Last call to msg me about the FB group  @adorebel check your PMs and @babymamadimo think about a bump-only private FB before next wk!

Actual GTKY- Since it seems like a lot of places are putting restrictions back in place reminiscent of the beginning of all this, tell us- what has been your most bizarre quarantine purchase?

Re: Weekly Check-In 11/23

• Loading the player...
  • How far along are you? (Weeks + Days): 30+1

FTM/STM/STM+: FTM

Interesting Baby Fact/Baby is the size of: Broccoli

Upcoming appointments: Dec 7 for next check up

How are you feeling?: Exhausted - super tired. And moody! I cried all day yesterday. We were waffling on if we would risk a road trip for Thanksgiving and even though I thought I was a smart person who could follow CDC guidelines, when we officially called the family to cancel and I saw them making a ton of food, and since they had already changed a bunch of plans to make it safe for us, I had to leave to go bawl my eyes out. I just keep telling myself it'll be more fun anyway when we can do a big thing next year and have a lil baby around.

Rants/Raves: Nothin. Feelin' very blah after crying forever.

Questions: Anyone got any more skin care recommendations? The Azelaic Acid suggestion someone in this or the Jan board dropped has been a HUGE game changer for me, I love it.

GTKY: Last call to msg me about the FB group  @adorebel check your PMs and @babymamadimo think about a bump-only private FB before next wk!

Actual GTKY- Since it seems like a lot of places are putting restrictions back in place reminiscent of the beginning of all this, tell us- what has been your most bizarre quarantine purchase? Not sure if it counts, but I ordered a knitting needle gauge on Amazon on October 1st instead of going into a craft store and still haven't got it lol

• How far along are you? (Weeks + Days): 30 weeks

FTM/STM/STM+: stm

Interesting Baby Fact/Baby is the size of: 🤷🏻‍♀️

Upcoming appointments: had a quickly belly check today and they said they would call me with my scheduled c section date based on my preferences 😬😬 next appt US 12-7

How are you feeling?: good!!

Rants/Raves: nothing really pregnancy wise!

Questions: has anyone had a scheduled c section? My assumption is i just go in a little early and get all ready and then they do it and i don’t have to wait around forever! Like they’ll give me a good time 

GTKY: Last call to msg me about the FB group  @adorebel check your PMs and @babymamadimothink about a bump-only private FB before next wk! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Actual GTKY- Since it seems like a lot of places are putting restrictions back in place reminiscent of the beginning of all this, tell us- what has been your most bizarre quarantine purchase? Nothing crazy. We did buy a Nugget for ds but it didn’t come til July. It was an expensive kid purchase for us lol cuz we are cheap 

• @babymamadimo check your PMs! Also, lol to your husband’s purchase. That’s the kind of random purchases I love to hear about!!
  • How far along are you? (Weeks + Days):29+0

FTM/STM/STM+: STM

Interesting Baby Fact/Baby is the size of: Acorn squash

Upcoming appointments: none till 32 wks

How are you feeling?: Heartburn has started earlier this pregnancy than it did with my son. Going to have to be more conscious of my caffeine/chocolate/spice/tomato sauce intake now 😫

Rants/Raves: Rave- so excited to decorate for Christmas this weekend! I’ve always done the weekend after Thanksgiving and it’s been sooo hard to hold off this year. We got all new coastal holiday decorations this year since we live by the beach, so I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Questions: none ATM

Actual GTKY- Since it seems like a lot of places are putting restrictions back in place reminiscent of the beginning of all this, tell us- what has been your most bizarre quarantine purchase? In the spring, it was a ring light for my laptop like @tamalahoops as well as way too many tie dyed shirts/sweatpants. Now I got a bluetooth hands-free tripod for my phone for my bump pics. I don’t know how I lived without this my first pregnancy! It’s so much easier than waiting for my picture-challenged husband to be around. 

• How far along are you? (Weeks + Days): 29+2

Interesting Baby Fact/Baby is the size of: Barbie convertible or New England cottontail rabbit

Upcoming appointments: just had an OB appt today and then scheduled to have MFM and OB in 2 weeks but MFM might get pushed up.  I’ll post in the appts thread about my appt today

How are you feeling?: actually ok other than back pain/uncomfortable/fatigued by the end of the day, plus trouble sleeping 

Rants/Raves: rant: my H’s family.  Rave: I have Thurs and Friday off!

Questions: did y’all pick a hospital yet? I’ve been putting it off. I have a choice of 2  

Actual GTKY- Since it seems like a lot of places are putting restrictions back in place reminiscent of the beginning of all this, tell us- what has been your most bizarre quarantine purchase? Not too much, H bought a hamburger patty press and I bought a food vacuum sealer.

@aaimee they adjusted my first back 12 days at his dating U/S(went in 8w4d based on LMP, left at 6w6d based on u/s). I had also been tracking and expected them to push him back about a week but almost 2 was a surprise. Did you have a dating ultrasound in the beginning (around 8ish weeks)? I have PCOS and irregular periods so I always get a dating ultrasound, but I think my OB sends everyone for them. For this pregnancy, I expected to be a few days early and he’s been measuring about 4-6 days early since his dating u/s but their policy is that they only change your due date if the u/s is off by a week or more, so they kept my due date the same even though it is a few days later than it should be. But they don’t care that he is measuring big. It’s odd to me that they are so worried about a consistent size difference (especially less than a week), without a cause for concern, like marginal cord insertion or something like that that could affect growth. 

@PinkKathryn12 I haven’t had a scheduled csection but my SIL has had 2. Basically they give you a time in the morning, you can’t eat after midnight (or whatever their policy is), you should up 2-3 hours early (again, their policy) and then you get prepped and go in. I will say that scheduled surgeries are always the first to get pushed if there is an emergency. Depending on your hospital, they might have an OB only OR and an OB only anesthesiologist so you would only get pushed by emergency csections and not other emergency surgeries. My mom had her hip replaced at a hospital that is a trauma center and her 8am scheduled surgery didn’t happen until after 3pm bc the hospital had a crazy day!  I hope you get a good day!

@szwill86 I just asked my OB today what is the third step after tums and Pepcid. She said Nexium, and I’m not there yet but I know I will be soon, I’m trying to hold off. Last pregnancy, by 35 weeks I was throwing up from the reflux at night. I’m hoping it doesn’t start sooner than that but I feel like it will. 

• @moguippy ugh, that’s the worst! I’m trying to take tums as needed, but even with that last night a few hrs before bed, it’s STILL woke me up in the MOTN. Hopefully it won’t start sooner than 35 weeks for you!
  • @moguippy no. my first u/s wasn't until 19weeks... they didn't even get me into their office for the initial visit until almost 13weeks. So I was shocked when they didn't do an u/s until 19wks.
    @mdfarmchick yeah that's crazy.  You'd think with them seeming concerned that she measures 5-7 days 'behind' for their edd and that when I told them the fact that we had sex on June 5th and it could have been a conception of a couple days later that it makes sense she's measuring that way. They said they will stay with their edd but are still concerned she's measuring 5 days behind. I wanted to reach through the phone and smack the nurse. On the u/s report from today, it shows the doc's edd of 2/23/2021 but then below that says the ultrasound edd is 2/28/2021. I'll stay with their date for reporting in on here weekly but I still think 2/28 is correct. 
  • @mdfarmchick are you doing Spinning Babies stuff, or something else? Please share bc this kid is all up in both my hip bones!
  • 30+1 💚 TTM
    Next OB appt 12/11 I think
    Went to PT again for my hip, she thinks I might have a tiny tear or it's a tendon thing. Either way, the strength exercises are supposed to help. They make me sore 🤣

Feeling, tired and it's hard to put to put socks on

Rant: usps tracking has been but great lately
    Rave: DH hates the song "what does the fox day" and the girls listened to it on repeat for at least 20 min after dinner. I thought it was hilarious

Questions: none right now

GTKY: bought a weaving loom! 🤣 My sister and I weave Friday afternoons now and I love it
  • @szwill86 spinning babies and/or the Miles Circuit. Depends on how tired I am. I’ve done the stupid forward leaning inversion about 6 times over the weekend and he keeps flipping back transverse. Little jerk. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤣 

@aaimee my experience with the OB’s office is they have a checklist and they cannot deviate from said checklist. 🙄 
  • How far along are you? (Weeks + Days): 28+3

FTM/STM/STM+: FTM

Interesting Baby Fact/Baby is the size of: Echidna

Upcoming appointments: midwife last Thursday and glucose test which I passed! Still waiting on my other labs because I had to get them re-drawn after my appt because the lab didn't result the first set they drew  🙄

How are you feeling?: heartburn is occurring more often, lower back has been hurting with shooting sciatic pains down my butt and legs.. I knew I was feeling good for too long!  Also will these crazy emotions/mood swings last for a long time? I feel like I was doing pretty decent, maybe a little more emotional, but now I'm letting what's probably tiny little things get to me and I have a hard time getting over it and being really emotional. 

Rants/Raves: so excited for black Friday deals and Facebook marketplace finds! Got a Tula baby carrier with their 30% off (FYI-the 30% off also applies to things on sale already!), a diaper bag normally $60 something on sale for $24 on amazon, a solly baby wrap from FB marketplace, and currently looking at monitors on sale too! 

Questions: none

Actual GTKY- Since it seems like a lot of places are putting restrictions back in place reminiscent of the beginning of all this, tell us- what has been your most bizarre quarantine purchase?

I can't think of anything!! Although I want to buy but haven't pulled the trigger on a Dutch oven to bake sourdough bread in since I recently got some sourdough starter from friends 

@hanfam2021 I'm right there with you being emotional over missing holidays. My fiance had a covid exposure at work (his test is pending) and it prompted me to make the decision to just not go because I don't want to risk the rest of my family including my 92 year old grandma that is supposed to have hip surgery! So I am trying to think of how fun next year will be!  

@szwill86 what is with men and not being able to take pictures?? I swear it's like pulling teeth to take some pictures if its my idea and heaven forbid I want to re-take them to get a better shot 

• @mdfarmchick I’m impressed that you can map out the baby and know how he’s positioned! I have no clue how my kid is positioned at any point in time. 😆

How far along are you? (Weeks + Days): 27+5

Interesting Baby Fact/Baby is the size of: idk? Big? LOL 

Upcoming appointments: in two weeks for a regular checkup

How are you feeling?: good! I got good results back for my glucose test and the blood panel that they did, so I’m happy about that! Sleep is getting to be more difficult, but that’s expected.

Rants/Raves: rave- DH is off from work all of next week, so I’m really looking forward to getting some good work done around the house! I feel motivated and I’m hoping my motivation rubs off onto him. 😆

Questions: none

Weirdest covid purchase: a banjo!

• How far along are you? (Weeks + Days):  28 +2 :)

FTM/STM/STM+: FTM!

Interesting Baby Fact/Baby is the size of: An echidna, big toe is the size of a chocolate chip!

Upcoming appointments: This afternoon, normal prenatal checkup.

How are you feeling?: Feeling pretty good! Haven't had a migraine or sciatica in over a month since I started regular osteo appts.

@kkfishy9 I've been having the same pain! I just assumed it was my inner hips doing some weird baby prep stuff haha.. Feels like I was walking on a beam or something and fell hard with it between my legs or something. Makes standing on one leg to put sox and shoes on a little rough haha.

Rants/Raves: Rant: Anyone else's hubby not really into it yet, or took a while their first time around? We've been together 11 years and always had an amazing relationship, and we definitely both wanted kiddos.. he just doesn't seem to care at all when I tell him little things going on with me. It was annoying at first but now I'm really starting to feel hurt/worried. When I asked him about it he said something that seemed so cold and unlike him: "well it's not happening to me, it's happening to you" (Talking about body changes, kicks, etc. :/

Questions: See above..

Actual GTKY: No crazy purchases, but that being said, neither of us have had any time off or WFH - we have both been at work full time as normal, so no extra time to be home and make said crazy purchases lol.

• @rubyroux_89 my husband is never super fascinated by anything. Now that it’s our third he’s actually the most involved during this pregnancy than he’s been and that means he puts his hand on my stomach unprovoked once in awhile 😂. It’s got to be so much harder for them to feel interested when it’s still just a thing that’s on the horizon and not a living thing growing inside of them. 

Just as a warning, with our first I remember also being disappointed with the way he was with our daughter for the very beginning. Newborns don’t need dad especially if you’re nursing. My husband was like -we have a potato - and he didn’t know what to do with her and was great but also I was like why aren’t I impressed by his dad skillz ? He doesn’t do anything? Once she started moving though that’s when he really leveled up and ever since then I’ve felt that he’s an incredible dad. I know that this isn’t an uncommon thing either. I think it takes longer for them to feel their purpose and get connected with the whole having a kid thing.

@hannahbananas11 I can never figure the positioning out either. Yesterday when the nurse was feeling my baby I asked her “how can you tell what you’re feeling?” She was like well .... that thing right there? It’s probably the head....or the bum. 😂 I thought she knew! 

@babyturtle22 thank you for the heads up on the Tula sale!!! I have a lodge cast iron Dutch oven for bread baking. It was pretty reasonably priced and recommended by the bread baking book i have! 
  • @babyturtle22 get the dutch oven! Worth it! We've had one for 12yrs. Breads and cobblers happen a lot in ours.

@rubyroux_89 hope the appt goes well! Also, guys can be weird. I think a lot of them are more worried about everything than they show so they kinda hermit themselves/feelings/thoughts about baby. My hubby was super excited with our first and then as we got further along he didn't seem as interested in things but I know it wasn't true. Second time around was a disaster year and he was extremely distant. This time he seems a little more concerned/involved. Guys and their lack of instincts can be frustrating. We've been married 12 yrs and together almost 18yrs. Just keep communicating, let him know how he's been acting towards you (cold and uncaring), hopefully he'll open up a bit. Maybe he's super scared and doesn't want to show it. Common, but frustrating. 
  • @rubyroux_89 yes, that's exactly what the pain feels like! Related to your H, I totally understand your frusturation. I think mine tries, but he just doesn't quite feel as connected yet to what is happening. I try to remember that there are physical changes happening to me that continually remind me of what is coming, and he doesn't have that same tangible evidence. I don't think it really helps that they can't come to all of our doctor appts with COVID, I think that would likely make things seem a bit more real too. Similar to @aaimee I just try to be communicative and let him know when his actions come off as a little bit uninterested.  <3
  • Thanks girls - you all make me feel better and that this is all normal! I'm sure it's a weird position for him to be in too.. He was white as a sheet at the anatomy scan seeing that there was really a little thing dancing around inside me haha..

I'll try to be more patient and communicate better! I can't wait to see him be a dad!  <3
  • @hannahbananas11 he makes it easy when I can feel him pushing opposite hips at the same time. 🤣🤦🏻‍♀️

• @rubyroux_89 I agree with what the others have said. DH wasn't very involved with DS's pregnancy (except for the starting the pregnancy part LOL) and he's not too terribly interested/involved this time around either. It sucks that your H wasn't able to express his feelings in a way that wasn't hurtful, but what he said is at heart the same thing that my H says. It's just hard for them to feel any attachment yet.
    Also, like @birdiejo said, DH wasn't super excited during the newborn stage, and is generally dreading that stage with this baby (the lack of sleep + still having to go to work is really really hard on him). As DS has gotten older and more active/conscious, DH has really gotten much more involved. Especially now that DS is a wild toddler. DH loves playing with him and being his dad now, and gets really excited about bringing him out in the snow or out in the running stroller. He probably enjoys parenthood more than I do at this particular age, actually. LOL
    Society romanticizes pregnancy and new parent life and can make the reality seem really bad, when it's actually really normal. I remember my sociology professor in college saying that having a kid is like detonating a bomb in a marriage, where the foundation of your marriage will probably survive, but you'll have to rebuild a lot. Dramatic, but that does accurately depict what the newborn stage felt like for me and for my H. We both were in survival mode and communication was pretty nonexistent there for a couple of months. We had to really work to reestablish our own relationship outside of being parents, and still have to focus hard on creating time for just each other.
  • edited November 2020
    @mdfarmchick oof, that sounds super uncomfortable.
    Curious question for anyone more knowledgable than me: At what point do these kids typically go head down and stay that way until birth? How will the doctor know if the baby is breech or not (ETA: my ob practice doesn't do any ultrasounds after the AS unless there's a problem to investigate, so how can they tell the baby's position without an US)?
  • @rubyroux_89 well he at least gave you an honest answer. Like others, my DH isn't story involved during pregnancy. He was the diaper king though when we brought DD1 home. 

@mdfarmchick oof, transverse is no fun. One of my kids liked to hang out that way but eventually went head down
  • @hannahbananas11 I’m pretty sure the doctor can tell just by feeling. I’m getting an ultrasound at 36 but I didn’t with my previous two and they always knew just by touch. 
  • babymamadimobabymamadimo member
    edited November 2020
    @hannahbananas11 it seems like they just feel and “know” which I 100% don’t trust. I understand they are drs and do this all day everyday, but my friend was told her baby was head down for weeks and when she was fully dilated and ready to push baby pooped and they discovered she was breach. She was then rushed for an emergency c section. Turns out the baby had her legs near her head the whole time which is why her head felt like a butt to them.

I’m so grateful that my hospital does a quick like 20 sec scan when you arrive to make sure baby is head down. I actually freaked out because I didn’t want them to ruin the gender surprise and they were like it is seriously so quick to see position and it truly was!
  • @rubyroux_89 I work in a super male environment so 90% of the parenting advice I get is from the dad perspective. Back in August I got some of the best advice from a dad of 3 and took a picture to send to MH so we could talk about it. 

The only thing I'd add is that it's also okay for moms to not feel an instant connection, even though I know that although I cognitively can understand that I definitely will be mean to myself emotionally if I don't because it's a super-charged emotional time. 

Advice below in spoiler:

• @rubyroux_89 also I realized I wasn't super clear with that last message - it sounds like you and your husband have had a strong, awesome connection for 11 years so I just offer that text from an old dad to jump-start the conversation and explain that you want to understand where he's coming from but you're hurt by the way he's talking. My uninformed guess is that he feels a little separated from the pregnancy and slightly left out and he doesn't know how to express it so it's kind of manifesting as apathy. But I really don't know ANYTHING, so hopefully I'm not saying something totally out of line
  • @hanfam2021 No you make perfect sense! And seeing that message from a dad himself is also really helpful - and it makes sense for sure. Here we are carrying this little thing around and interacting with it all day so of course we have a jump start on the relationship/connection. Definitely the communication needs some work but hey what man is good at that haha.

I will say the last few days after our initial convo he has done a few little things like put his hand on my belly unprompted and also he has been waving goodbye to it in the morning lol. I know he is doing those things to show me he cares. ❤

You guys are really helpful. All of my friends are his friends so I almost feel like confiding in them is some sort of betrayal of his privacy for some reason? 🤷‍♀️
  • How far along are you? (Weeks + Days): 28w1d

FTM/STM/STM+: fourth!

Interesting Baby Fact/Baby is the size of: eggplant 

Upcoming appointments: 2 weeks, just had one today 

How are you feeling?: tired and pubic symphysis pain that has developed this week and I’m really uncomfortable 

Rants/Raves: had a CBC done at my 24 wee appointment because I did early glucose and I had low platelets, and did another CBC today and found they had lowered more. she said some anesthesiologists won’t do epidurals with low platelets...... my hemoglobin was on the low end of normal so she is going to have me start some iron, but nothing I can do about my platelets. I had two failed epidurals with my first and that was not an experience I’d like to repeat. 😫 fundal height was measuring right on 28 weeks, and my blood sugars look good. 

No bizarre purchase really, just trying to be really cautious about useless spending 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @roadspeckle The hospital I delivered DS at checks your platelets before they do an epidural. My water broke and I went straight into labor. By the time I got to the hospital (about an hour after) I was in painful labor.  We walked into triage, they confirmed my water had broken and I literally said “I know you need to draw labs for the epidural, you can do that now” and stuck out my arm. Luckily I had been in hospital the week before for some monitoring so they just used that bloodwork. But my H still laughs about how I wasted no time in asking for the epidural.   My iron was also low at 25 weeks and they said to eat more iron rich foods and that they would recheck it at 29 weeks but they didn’t 🤷‍♀️ 
  • @moguippy thanks for the encouraging story! I’m glad you got the epidural! I am a full supporter that child birth doesn’t *have* to be painful. I’m hoping the iron she prescribed will help. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @roadspeckle I ended up having to wait another 2 hours anyway. The L&D anesthesiologist had just gone into an emergency csection. I was in so much pain, I thought I was going to puke or pass out.  I scared my H bc he has never seen me like that before (or since). Once I got it (she had to do it twice bc the first one didn’t work) it worked completely on the left side but only partially on the right side (damn scoliosis).  And yes, get the drugs if you want them, go unmedicated if you want to! Hopefully the iron works. I heard taking iron supplements with foods that help absorb iron will help your body actually use it. I don’t remember what those foods are though. 
  • I just had to start taking iron, it absorbs well with citrus 😉
  • @rubyroux_89 waving goodbye is the sweetest! <3 I love that

• @hannahbananas11 I think they do it by feel and experience but like @babymamadimo mentioned there’s room for error. Baby can go head down at any point in the next few weeks and drop. They are usually looking for baby to be head down between 32-36 weeks because then they start getting big enough that they can’t turn around. An easy way to tell if they are sunny side up or not is when you have contractions ((even BH)) if you feel them in your back. Back labor is usually because baby is sunny side up. My practice is just to do all the spinning babies because it worked to get my first two into position ((also this never posted...))
  • @mdfarmchick That's really good to know! DS was in a great position when I went into labor with him, so I never had to deal with back labor. But my best friend did and she said it was the worst pain of her life. I'll take a look at spinning babies! I've heard of it and I suggested it to my friend who's baby was breech at 34 weeks, but I've never actually done any of it myself because DS was always positioned well. I bet my doula can give me some good info on it, too. I just want to avoid back labor or a breech baby at all costs. :weary: