June 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 11/17: Car Seats

2»

Re: Product Spotlight 11/17: Car Seats

• Options
    @akoros in general I think it’s recommended not to leave them asleep in the seat on the floor because of airway restrictions. I’ve found the stroller compatibility to be super helpful. I had a bassinet attachment and never used it in the stroller...just as a bassinet at home. I liked that he wasn’t rolling around in the bassinet when we walked. 

Lots of stroller offer adapters for different car seats so there are lots of options. I had a Nuna Pipa car seat and used it with an Uppababy stroller with an adapter. 
  • Options
    @akoros I had the Chicco keyfit for my first 2 and loved it! I would get an infant seat first- we got both an infant seat and a convertible before having DS1 and I regretted getting the convertible seat so early- once he was born and I was using a seat, I found out I had opinions about it- big surprise 😂 the infant seat is less expensive and you'll use it for less time, so you'll have more time to think about what you'll need in a convertible. Both my kids outgrew the infant seat in a bit over 6 months, but I have friends who were able to use theirs for over a year, whereas some of the convertibles you can use for 6+ years- that's a big commitment!

The don't let them sleep in the car seat thing is for the floor. If they're in a stroller that is designed to accommodate the car seat they'll be ok. It has to do with the angle- in the car/stroller the seat is tilted in a way that's safe for baby's breathing, but the seat loses that tilt when it's on the ground and that's where the danger is. Full disclaimer my kids did occasionally sleep in their car seats in the house when we came back from car rides, but one of us always stayed close by to monitor them, and they never slept longer than 20 minutes after coming back inside.  

I got a frame stroller that paired with my keyfit- it's literally just a frame that you snap the seat into. It was less than $50 (I think... I see them on FB marketplace too). I liked the frame bc it was light and small, which was nice post c-section. It's not very sturdy though, do not great for long distances/tough terrain, and I didn't use longer than 4 months. Good for short walks in the neighborhood, quick trips to the store, walking around the mall or city area by me. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mc0303 @_orchid_ Great info, thank you so much! Phew, one thing (mostly) figured out, now on to the next...
  • Options
    We will be using our same UppaBaby Mesa from our first kid. We already have 3 bases, one for each of us plus an extra in case someone else needs to drive them. I'm personally a fan of starting out with an infant bucket because I feel it's just more practical. Yes they're heavy sometimes, but if I'm out and about I either just click it into the stroller (UppaBaby Vista) or if it's somewhere like the grocery store I just put it in the basket. There's nothing worse than having to wake up a sleeping baby to take them into a store. Plus, being able to have baby snug and covered in the seat when they're little and it's cold or raining is a plus.

We switched to a convertible seat around 9 months - which about the time I found myself generally taking him out of the car seat and having him sit independently in the stroller most of the time. 
  • Options
    @akoros sorry! Just seeing this now. I believe the leaving them in the car seat warning applies to when the car seat is not clicked in at the proper angle. When you put the scoop on the ground the angle of the seat is very different from when it is clicked into the car or the stroller. I think the car base and the stroller hold the scoop/seat at the right angle.
    ~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• Options
    We have the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio 4-35. We love it!