Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

IF Testing & Treatment w/o 10.19

This is a place for those of us who have already started TTC, but have started infertility testing and/or treatments. You can express your thoughts, feelings, and frustrations on infertility. TTC can be a long journey naturally, then add in the difficulties associated with infertility, and it becomes a whole new ball game. The road to infertility can be lonely, frustrating, and complicated, so let's make this a place where we can vent, ask questions, and support one another. Feel free to resurrect this thread at any point in the week if you have something to say. Treat this as an ongoing conversation. 

Diagnosis (if you've been): 

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA):

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?): 

How are things going?: 

Any questions?:

GTKY: Do you decorate for Halloween, & if so, what’s your style? 

Re: IF Testing & Treatment w/o 10.19

• Options
    Diagnosis (if you've been): PCOS

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA): WTO forever

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?): trying naturally again

How are things going?: Nothing new since last week. I'm 46 days into this cycle with absolutely no sign of O any time soon. PCOS is so incredibly frustrating! I feel really down about this cycle, like I'm already out even though FW hasn't hit yet, which doesn't make sense but that's where my head is right now.

Any questions?: I mentioned it in the dailies but my plan was to wait to call my OB about next steps after I hit 60 days this cycle. If it were you, would you wait until CD 60 or call sooner?

GTKY: Do you decorate for Halloween, & if so, what’s your style? 
    I do more fall decorations but DH loves Halloween and eventually wanted to do a haunted house type thing in our garage. Step 1 is for him to clean it out though 😂 
  • Options
    @gingermama29 So sorry you’re feeling so down about this cycle. I can only imagine your frustration. If it were me I would call sooner than 60 days. That just seems like an eternity to keep going through what you were going through before the birth control saga. You’re doing great, considering! I would’ve lost my mind by now—I don’t have that much patience. I’d ask the doc if there is any other plan that could work. (I’m not very literate in PCOS so sorry if this isn’t helpful or just more frustrating.)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @gingermama29 have you seen a RE? I would maybe contact your doc and see what they say and maybe also set up some consults with a RE. If this was the first time your cycle was this long I would wait until 60 days but this saga just keeps going for you.

Diagnosis (if you've been): unexplained, secondary IF, blocked tube?

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA): WTO

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?): last cycle trying naturally. I was actually looking at my chart and expect FW for next cycle for letrozole + TI and noticed that MH is planning on being out of town for potentially most of my FW, the weekend before Thanksgiving (deer hunting in WI). I told him about it expecting him to be upset and want to move our medicated cycle and then we would be running into Christmas, but he actually said that he wont go deer hunting if that is the case. It might not matter if I have a short cycle again, the last two have only been 25 days. We shall see. 

How are things going?: taking it easy this cycle and not temping or doing anything crazy hoping the powers that be decide we can save $ and get KU before starting IF treatments. 

Any questions?: not at this time

GTKY: Do you decorate for Halloween, & if so, what’s your style? I like to do fall stuff starting after labor day, then I will work a few Halloween type decor into the mix, like I have this super cute witch holding a pumpkin that I just add in next to all the harvesty stuff. Outside I do Halloween stuff with some orange lights, a trick or treat sign and some spooky gausy stuff hanging down in front of the door. I also have some bat's up in the entry way. I'll take the Halloween stuff down after Halloween and put more fall stuff out until Christmas. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    @gingermama29 I would definitely call the doctor before 60 days is up. I can only imagine how frustrated you might be. I think starting medicated cycles asap is the right way to go here (obviously not a medical opinion). And I would totally second what @krash_ has said re: setting up an appointment with an RE to get a second opinion. 

@krash_ the taking it easy has worked for a few TTGP folks this summer so hopefully it'll work for you as well. 

Diagnosis (if you've been): Unexplained, AMA, possible MFI (under investigation)

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA): WTAF

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?): Big week for us as MH is getting all his testing done today, tomorrow, Friday and the weekend. The tests include: physical exam to check for varicocele, repeat SA, ultrasound of the balls (to check for tumors), and I have also ordered a sperm dna fragmentation test. Plus, I'll have him contact his doctor and order chromosome analysis and y-chomosome micro-deletion blood tests, as well as Vitamin D and pre-diabetes screening. According to The Egg Whisperer, that would then constitute a full male fertility workup. More here: https://draimee.org/introducing-the-balls-method-for-easy-fertility-screening. I also have a consult with another fertility clinic tomorrow AM as I have decided to move on from our present clinic. 

How are things going?: It's been a rough weekend. I'm so in my head thinking about possible alternatives and risks even though we don't yet have all the data. I've basically convinced myself that we should just do IVF and forget about trying any IUIs. And honestly, I only have to wait for 1 week to get all of MHs workup. Anyway, going back on anti-anxiety medication was the right call so I'm looking forward to when it kicks in. Also, seeing ppl who intro'ed themselves in late September moving on to BMB is a gut punch. 😩

Any questions?: none for a change

GTKY: Do you decorate for Halloween, & if so, what’s your style? I/we don't since we're not yet in our "permanent" home and buying decorations is just adding more stuff that we'll have to move one day. I _probably_ would have decorated this year if not for Covid since we actually live in a pretty family-friendly neighborhood. Alas, with Covid, the desire is just not there. I _did_ pick up a pumpkin on the weekend and will probably carve something of it. 
    MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2
    Me: 40.5; MH: 39 | Met 02/2009 | Started Dating 08/2017 | Married 02/02/2020
    TTC #2 ... preparing as of March 2024

TTC #1
    Me: 36, MH: 34 | Met 02/2009 | Started Dating 08/2017 | Married 02/02/2020
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022
    2009 | Dx PCOS; likely a misdiagnosis
    07/14/20 | Dx Hashimoto's Thyroditis
    07/21/20 | 1st RE appointment
    07/2120 - 08/20/20 | so much testing; no signs of PCOS
    08/20/20 | Dx Unexplained; AMA
    09/08/20 | IUI #1 Clomid + Trigger + Prometrium | BFN
    09/30/20 | Urology consult; more testing required
    10/2020 | Clomid + OPK + TI + Prometrium | BFN
    10/26/2020 | Starting 2nd IUI cycle, with Letrazole and with a new RE / different clinic
    11/03/2020 | New Dx "poor egg quality"; IUI cancelled in favor of Trigger + TI + Prometrium | BFN
    11/26/2020 | Combo IUI (Clomid + Menopur) + Trigger + Prometrium | BFN
    12/20/2020 | Combo IUI (Clomid + Gonal-F) + Trigger | IUI Cancelled due to thin lining; TI only | BFN
    01/14/2021 | Combo IUI (Letrazole + Menopur) + Trigger | BFN
    02/06/2021 | Switched to a new RE (TEW) ; trying naturally until we complete additional testing 
    03/14/2021 | Hybrid Double IUI, with Zymot (Letrazole, Gonal-F) + Trigger + Endometrin | Ovulated 4 mature eggs but still a BFN ☹️
    04/07/2021 | Natural cycle while we regroup | BFN
    04/09/2021 | Employer announces fertility benefits starting 05/01/2021! | Search for a new doctor who accepts insurance
    05/10/2021 | New RE consult & plan for IVF
    05/13/2021 | Mid-luteal IVF cycle #1 interrupted; had to get cancer genetic screening done to make sure I didn't have the same SDHA gene mutation as MH. 
    06/10/2021 | Aygestin priming IVF cycle #1; opted to Cx after 9 days of stims since only 5-6/12 follicles responded
    07/26/2021 | Attempt #2 at IVF cycle #1 (mid-luteal start): 8 retrieved, 8 MII, 6 fert (1 PN3), 3 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 3AA, 3AA, 6AB; 3 euploid
    08/09/2021 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC | Shockingly, a BFP! EDD: 5/25/202 | CP at 4w4d
    09/23/2021 | IVF cycle #2 (mid-luteal start): 14 retrieved, 13 MII, 11 fert, 5 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 2 x 3AA, 2 x 3AB, 3BB; 2 euploid
    11/12/2021 | IVF cycle #3 (mid-luteal start): cancelled due to ovaries being on vacation
    12/20/2021 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC + Pregmune Immunology Testing; BFN
    01/22/2022 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC + understanding uncovered immunological issues; BFN
    02/18/2022 | Mock transfer cycle! ERA, ReceptivaDx, EMMA/ALICE; start Prednisone to address NK activity
    03/16/2022 | Final, "Hail Mary" super-ovulation + TI cycle before FET; BFP! EDD: 12/21/2022 | MMC 05/08/2022
    05/20/2022 | D&C; recovering... 
    06/21/2022 | Trying naturally until October 2022
    07/21/2022 | BFP! EDD 04/02/2023; 👦🏼 born on 4/5/2023

• Options
    @gingermama29 That sounds so frustrating to be dealing with such long cycles! Of course this is up to you, but I would personally go see an RE at this point. They will be the experts at managing PCOS.. plus there might be a wait to get in, so maybe better to start the process while you’re trying naturally?

@krash_ Hope it works out for you on this cycle! So great that YH was willing to skip hunting if it will help timing!

@acleverusername GL with all the testing! I know it’s hard thinking through all the “what-ifs” but try not to overthink things too much.. It will be easier to make a plan once you have all the data. GL with the consult tomorrow at the new clinic! 

Diagnosis (if you've been): MFI

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA): TWW

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?): Trying naturally.. hopefully FET next month!

How are things going?: Today is the day I’ve been waiting 3 1/2 weeks for.. we get our PGT results!! Hoping that we have a good number of embryos to work with. We’ll also be discussing how/when we’ll be moving forward with FET. I’m so nervous but trying to remain hopeful.. I booked myself a massage this afternoon since my appointment at the clinic isn’t until later this afternoon and I want to go into this appointment relaxed! 

Any questions?: Not right now

GTKY: Do you decorate for Halloween, & if so, what’s your style? I usually decorate for Halloween but didn’t this year.. I might still put out a few decorations inside. I have a sparkly pumpkin garland, pumpkin lights and a few other pumpkin/witch/ghost things. I don’t want to decorate outside since we aren’t handing out candy. I’m working Halloween but because of Covid we wouldn’t have handed out anyway.. just too risky as our numbers here are quite high right now.

Me: 35 DH: 35
    TTC since 9/2018
    Dx: MFI
    10/19- First RE visit
    2/20- DH had surgery for bilateral varicoceles 
    7/20- IUI with 5 mg letrozole- BFN
    9/20- IVF. 9 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI, 7 blasts, 4 PGT-A normal
    11/20- Mock transfer/ERA
    12/20- FET #1- transferred one 4AB- BFN
    3/21- FET #2- transferred one 3AB- BFP! Due Dec 2021
    12/21- Baby girl born!

• Options
    @misshelen86 I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and looking forward to your update. The massage sounds like an excellent idea!

MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2

TTC #1
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022
    10/26/2020 | Starting 2nd IUI cycle, with Letrazole and with a new RE / different clinic
    11/03/2020 | New Dx "poor egg quality"; IUI cancelled in favor of Trigger + TI + Prometrium | BFN
    12/20/2020 | Combo IUI (Clomid + Gonal-F) + Trigger | IUI Cancelled due to thin lining; TI only | BFN
    02/06/2021 | Switched to a new RE (TEW) ; trying naturally until we complete additional testing 
    03/14/2021 | Hybrid Double IUI, with Zymot (Letrazole, Gonal-F) + Trigger + Endometrin | Ovulated 4 mature eggs but still a BFN ☹️
    04/09/2021 | Employer announces fertility benefits starting 05/01/2021! | Search for a new doctor who accepts insurance
    05/13/2021 | Mid-luteal IVF cycle #1 interrupted; had to get cancer genetic screening done to make sure I didn't have the same SDHA gene mutation as MH. 
    06/10/2021 | Aygestin priming IVF cycle #1; opted to Cx after 9 days of stims since only 5-6/12 follicles responded
    07/26/2021 | Attempt #2 at IVF cycle #1 (mid-luteal start): 8 retrieved, 8 MII, 6 fert (1 PN3), 3 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 3AA, 3AA, 6AB; 3 euploid
    08/09/2021 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC | Shockingly, a BFP! EDD: 5/25/202 | CP at 4w4d
    09/23/2021 | IVF cycle #2 (mid-luteal start): 14 retrieved, 13 MII, 11 fert, 5 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 2 x 3AA, 2 x 3AB, 3BB; 2 euploid
    11/12/2021 | IVF cycle #3 (mid-luteal start): cancelled due to ovaries being on vacation
    01/22/2022 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC + understanding uncovered immunological issues; BFN
    02/18/2022 | Mock transfer cycle! ERA, ReceptivaDx, EMMA/ALICE; start Prednisone to address NK activity
    03/16/2022 | Final, "Hail Mary" super-ovulation + TI cycle before FET; BFP! EDD: 12/21/2022 | MMC 05/08/2022

• Options
    @gingermama29 I would definitely call before day 60 since this is something that has frequently happened to you before. After my an-O cycle earlier this year my RE told me to call by CD35 if I haven’t O’d yet. Also adding another recommendation to try seeking out an RE’s opinion if you haven’t yet!

@krash_ I’m glad YH is willing to potentially skip his hunting trip! That takes at least a little stress out of timing everything. 

@acleverusername good luck with your appointment tomorrow and with all YH’s testing! Hopefully it will give you lots of good information to build a plan with. Try your best to stay calm and not extrapolate to all the unknowns while you are waiting...I totally know this is SO much easier said than done. I am a fellow anxious over thinker and it’s so so difficult to not spiral when there’s so many unknowns. 

@misshelen86 Good luck today!!!! I’m looking forward to your update!

Diagnosis (if you've been): unexplained

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA): TWW

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?): IUI

How are things going?: Pretty okay? I had some anxiety yesterday that really messed with my Sunday. I think it was a combination of hoping so hard that this IUI works, wanting to do everything perfectly, and then just general Sunday scaries. I was proud of myself because I told DH how I was feeling, and he was able to get me out of my head which was super helpful. I often try so hard to look strong and put together, and don’t tell him about things like that so that was a good thing for me. I’m feeling much better today, and hopeful that I’ll continue to feel calm and good over the next couple of weeks! 

Any questions?: nope, don’t think so

GTKY: Do you decorate for Halloween, & if so, what’s your style? I just started doing fall decor this year, so I am not so much into the Halloween stuff. I could see myself potentiallyyy getting some cute stuff to put out here and there - even as an adult I don’t like the spooky stuff people put out!
  • Options
    Thank you friends for your advice. DH and I chatted tonight about it and agreed that I should call my doctor sooner. We want to hear what his plan is going forward and see if he recommends a RE. I think I'll start looking into REs in my area either way. 

@keikilove I appreciate your point of view! 😊 It is definitely helpful!

@krash_ FX for you this cycle! That's so sweet that YH is willing to skip his trip for you!

@acleverusername GL with all the testing and your appointment tomorrow. It's so hard not to get caught up in the what ifs, especially when you're dealing with anxiety. Hugs. I hope your medication kicks in for you soon. I know going on anti-anxiety meds has made a huge difference for me! 

@misshelen86 FX for good news from your PGT!! Can't wait for your update! I hope you enjoyed every minute of your massage today! 

@runningoncookies anxiety is the worst! I'm glad you were able to communicate with YH and get out of your head. Happy to hear you're feeling better today!
  • Options
    @misshelen86 Thinking of you & hoping so hard that you got great news today!🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Thanks all for your words of support re: trying not to over-analyze / over plan. It's very difficult for me in general given my profession, but this is especially hard when it comes to TTC. 🤗

@misshelen86 those are really great results; congrats! I so so understand about the waiting part, and you have waited for so long already (I know I complain about waiting, but I have done very little of it compared to you!). You are right to trust your RE (if you have a good relationship with them). FWIW, what I've learned from listening to The Egg Whisperer is that some doctors do strongly believe in the ERA testing / others don't, but Dr. Aimee _really_ believes in it (and has a great patient story). Check out this video (I linked to the exact time when they start talking about ERA / Receptiva): 

@runningoncookies I am sorry your anxiety is also acting up; this is just such an anxious time. It is so great that you were able to share you feelings with YH and that he was able to help you relax. I can totally relate to "I often try so hard to look strong and put together, and don’t tell him about things like that". Hopefully this TWW goes by fast for you!

@gingermama29 so far my new medication has been causing insomnia; not a great start considering how low a dose I'm taking. I am so tired today that I've actually had to take a sick day. Anyway, starting tomorrow, I'll be taking the meds in the morning and hopefully that helps. 

@shoogapoff hi and welcome back! I've been thinking about you / hoping that everything was alright. I am _so_ happy that you get to move forward with your FET cycle. Hopefully you can keep the mass TTGP/IF exodus train going. Unfortunately for me, no infertility treatments are covered under my insurance, so the decision re: IUI vs IVF is an important one. 

AFM, updates in spoiler...

DH has his physical "inspection" yesterday with the urologist's NP; no varicocele was detected. I am kind of perplexed that they didn't check his prostate... isn't that part of normal "exam"? 

The SA results from this morning came back pretty quickly. TMC is 17.71M with concentration being pretty low (9.2M/ml), but motility being somewhat OK at 55%. But the sperm progression score was a 2, where "2 = Slow or Sluggish Progression." Compared to his previous SA results, both the concentration and progression is worse; but the motility is higher. However, and I could use some advice here, there is no evaluation of morphology on the SA report. I don't really get that... isn't that standard when assessing sperm quality? 

And then I also had a hit-and-miss consult with the new clinic this morning. The doctor was 15 min late for our 30 min consult (virtual). I had a hard stop after the consult. She did set up a f/u appointment for me tomorrow, and this one's supposed to be 1hr long, at no extra charge (today charge will cover both appointments), but holy cow, what a poor initiation into a new clinic when the reason you're leaving your old is poor care team service. I am mad / sad / resigned. MH was _not_ impressed. 

Edited: to put video in spoiler & fix spelling mistakes.

MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2

TTC #1
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022

• Options
    @acleverusername what anxiety meds are you taking, if you don't mind my asking? I started Zoloft in August and had issues with insomnia for several days too. Switching to taking it in the morning instead of evening and having melatonin on hand has made a world of difference!
  • Options
    @gingermama29 I'm taking escitalopram (generic for Lexapro) and only 2.5mg to start with; I'm supposed to go up to 5mg after a week and that likely won't happen; gonna keep easing into it. Thanks for sharing that switching to taking your medication in the morning helped you. I hope it helps me too. 🙏🏻
    MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2

TTC #1
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022

• Options
    @shoogapoff Good to see you back here! That’s great news that your testing came back normal. I’m so excited for you moving ahead with your FET and I’ll be thinking of you and sending you all the positive vibes!! 

@acleverusername Thanks for your kind words  <3 It’s funny you should mention Dr. Aimee because I watched a video she did on ERA the night I got my results.. I loved the way she explained it and why she feels it’s important. I’ll check out the video you posted as well though! I think it’s the right decision to go ahead with it and just keep chugging along.  
    TTC since 9/2018
    10/19- First RE visit
    9/20- IVF. 9 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI, 7 blasts, 4 PGT-A normal
    11/20- Mock transfer/ERA
    12/21- Baby girl born!

• Options
    **lurking** @keikilove Reddit’s infertility sub does a weekly surrogate discussion. If you search the subreddit for surrogate there are a few discussions that may be helpful! 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• Options
    *lurk*

@keikilove I have a friend going through the surrogacy process and can reach out to her for resources if you want! 💓
  • Options
    @chichiphin Thanks so much. I’ve checked out Reddit’s infertility sub here & there but never paid attention or though about looking there for surrogacy info. Thanks! 

@b_1029 That would be amazing, thank you!!
  • Options
    @acleverusername I think regardless of how your follow up appointments have gone a pro/con list is still a good idea. Or maybe set a limit for yourself, do one more IUI then take a break to enjoy the holidays before starting IVF in Jan. It’s easy to get wrapped up in all of it and it’s hard to keep a level head through all the ups and downs. Hugs friend  <3
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Options
    **lurking**

@acleverusername Brand name synthroid should be around $45 per month with coupons from the GoodRx app, cheaper if you do 90 days at a time. I definitely recommend that app for any meds that insurance doesn’t cover. I don’t think they would have anything for other fertility medications, but for common things like synthroid there are always coupons. 
  • Options
    @fitzfizz THANK YOU. You’re our internet PCP fairy godmother!

@krash_ thanks friend. I’ve also been thinking that 1 more IUI makes sense. 
    MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2

TTC #1
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022

• Options
    misshelen86misshelen86 member
    edited October 2020
    @keikilove That’s great news that the money you are getting back will cover your next IVF cycle. I love that you always have a back up plan in place but remain cautiously optimistic. I’m so hopeful that with everything you are doing you will have good news soon.. you certainly deserve it!

@acleverusername Sounds like you have a good plan in place. It makes sense to do another IUI since your H had a good TMC on the last SA. If you’re not emotionally ready for IVF, then definitely give it some time first. I took a month after my failed IUI to focus on my physical and mental health and I really found it helpful. By the time we got to IVF, I felt like I was in a really good place and it made it easier to go through the ups and downs.

*Edited for weird formatting
    TTC since 9/2018
    10/19- First RE visit
    11/20- Mock transfer/ERA
    12/21- Baby girl born!

• Options
    @misshelen86 thanks for the advice. I really think doing one more IUI and – if it doesn't work (gotta stay positive / optimistic!) – just taking some time off, especially since it'll be lining up w/ the holidays. 

So, question... today is CD1, and I was told to call the clinic on Day 1 to schedule my Day 2 baseline bloodwork and u/s. So I called my clinic but they're "closed" (even though I'm sure they're doing some procedures today... bodies don't wait). In any case, I left a voice message even though the voice mail said that response time is 1 business day. I also sent a message through the portal. 

I'm perplexed... if they say to call on Day 1, shouldn't there be a way to do so even on weekend? I will call again tomorrow for sure, but I wonder if they'll be able to accommodate me for tests on same day. Am I being unreasonable? 
    MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2

TTC #1
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022

• Options
    Ah - well, my doctor happened to check the voice mail and called me back to book for tomorrow. So, I'm in. But, alas, there is an alternate way to get hold of the clinic on weekends; I wish I'd known. Alas, onwards and upwards!
    MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2

TTC #1
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022