May 2021 Moms
Options

product spotlight: carseats

2»

Re: product spotlight: carseats

• Options
    Has anyone used, or know anyone who has... the “Doona” system? It’s pricey BUT not having to buy both a car seat and stroller makes up for it in my opinion. The car seat has wheels and converts to a stroller in seconds. Looks handy (though I realize baby will outgrow infant carseat in about a year). Curious! I also saw the cybex which looks sooooo freaking cool. Love the rotating feature to get baby out of car, but man.. the price tag! 
  • Options
    @brynn_mamaof4 My friend Missy has it and is obsessed with it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @brynn_mamaof4 I don't have the doona, but I have seen it from a distance, and it seemed pretty short to me. I'm only 5'4" but it never looked like it would be comfortable to push around. But maybe it's adjustable? I don't know, as I said I've only ever seen other people using it, and never anyone I knew well enough to ask about it. I don't know what restrictions are like in your area, but it may be worth going to a store to see if it would be comfortable, or at least googling around to see if tall people like it.
  • Options
    My friend that has the Doona is actually very petite 
  • Options
    @mimser are you looking to skip the infant bucket seat?
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @ec1212 @mrosek91 that’s good to know, I’ll have to look into it. I’m 5’7 so can’t be pushing around a short stroller.. hope it’s adjustable! 
  • Options
    @brynn_mamaof4 no helpful inut here but i saw the Cybex and im REALLY trying to justify getting it!
  • Options
    @asf0613 I know! It looks so awesome and that is a really handy feature 😩
  • Options
    @texas_t I was but as i did my research, I was convinced otherwise :/
  • Options
    @mimser I was debating skipping the infant seat bc it seems like such a waste to buy both. I am on the fence
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    @nsk489 Do your research well. They say some of the 3-in-1s or 4-in-1s are sometimes best suited for one of the stages and ok for the others. 
  • Options
    @nsk489 I was hesitant at first and everybody would tell me that it's best because you don't have to wake baby up if you go to the groceries etc. But that was irrelevant to our lifestyle. The cost of just a 3-in-1 makes so much more sense, but I reached out to organizations here that do car seat checks and was told that the Graco4ever which I was looking at was  not great for infants. So I started looking for a 2-in-1(infant-toddler) and found the Britax Essentials Allegiance. It was better rated than the Graco 4ever, made a lot more sense financially when you consider a booster seat for phase 3 is not very expensive and it's a good convertible choice for infants. But then I found during my research that it seems experts are unanimous that bucket seats are a lot better suited for infants than any convertible. So I'm going for the Chicco Keyfit 30 (I might also receive my cousin's Uppababy Mesa which he used for only a few months). I'm not looking at fitting it on my stroller though. The downside to this is that I'm not finding great options for phase 2-3 (and don't necessarily want to pay for the Graco 4ever if I'm not going to use it for phase 1, although it's not impossible we end up going for it later on), but the Graco Tranzitions seem to be ok. 
  • Options
    @mimser I'd say try not to overthink it as things change, especially if you decide to try and have more kids.  Plus, a belt positioning booster seat is so inexpensive, that you're really only paying for rear facing and forward facing 5 point harness seat when you a get a forever seat. Forward facing limits for most carseats are 65 lbs and 49 inches.  My 5 year old is 45 lbs and 44 inches!  The Graco Tranzitions is not a rear facing seat.  I think the Britax Allegiant sounds great! It has the same limits as the Britax Marathon we have, and we didn't turn my oldest from rear facing until he was 4!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @texas_t I see what you mean, and you are right about the Tranzitions I missed that... you're right it would make as much sense to go with the Essentials when we're done with the bucket seat, and get a booster seat later on. It wouldn't even be $100 more (if I insist on calculating 😅) and would be a safer option for our little one.
  • Options
    @mimser FWIW when you get to the point, we have a Tranzitions for our oldest and really like it! It's a quality seat!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*