June 2021 Moms

FTM Check-In 10/12

How far along are you? 

How big is baby?

Rants/Raves:

Questions:

GTKY: how long does it take you to get ready in the morning? 

Re: FTM Check-In 10/12

• How far along are you? 6w0d

How big is baby? The size of a jelly bean!

Rants/Raves: Less than two weeks until our US! I can't wait to see this little bean, and hopefully hear a perfect little heartbeat!

Also, pregnancy dreams are crazy. I have never had such vivid dreams!

Questions: Nothing today

GTKY: how long does it take you to get ready in the morning? I can get ready in 15 minutes if I need to (pretty typical). If I wash my hair, shave, do a full face of makeup, do my hair (can't remember the last time I got all the way ready like that), it takes me a little over an hour. 

Me: 32 years old
    DH: 33 years old
    Married in May 16, 2015
         TTC #1 (on and off) since September 2015
    DS1 Due 6.7.2021
  • How far along are you? 6+1

How big is baby? the size of a sweet pea

Rants/Raves: So I went down the google rabbit hole for like the 23rd time yesterday and ended up going and buying almost all new "pregnancy safe" skincare this morning after determining that most of what I had in the cabinet contained some forbidden ingredient.  Ugh, rant for the hidden costs of pregnancy! (although admittedly it might also be attributable me being totally overboard about things!, ha)

Questions: Not really a question, but my first ultrasound is this friday and I am super nervous to make sure everything is going okay!  I keep telling myself that if I get through this step I'll relax, but I think I've been telling myself that for the last 6 months we've been going through this IVF cycle.  I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever calm down and be able to just enjoy this.

GTKY: how long does it take you to get ready in the morning? well I'm working from home right now so unless I have to get on a video call no longer than it takes me to shower and put my hair in a ponytail!  For a normal getting ready that includes shower, hair, make-up its around 45 minutes.  
  • Loading the player...
  • How far along are you? 4 weeks, 5 days

How big is baby? Sesame seed

Rants/Raves: Why do iron supplements taste SO bad??

Questions: Is anyone deciding between going to a midwife/birthing center vs obgyn/hospital? Or interviewing providers? We have a lot of nice birthing centers in my city, and the idea of having a practitioner more focused on education and letting me be in control is appealing. My normal gyn--who I interviewed about pregnancy questions earlier this year--just stopped doing OB so I'd be going to a new doctor regardless. But I'd always thought I would probably get an epidural, so the idea of ruling one out so early is really scary! All the birthing centers I've found near me discharge you after 4-6 hours, which seems really early! But maybe it's better to recover at home?

GTKY: how long does it take you to get ready in the morning? I shower at night, so only about 10 minutes unless I have something REALLY big going on that day that requires extra makeup. Sleep is too important for me to spend more time in the morning.
  • What did you end up deciding for new skincare? Did you look at shampoo? I started looking this morning and everything seems conflicting and confusing...
  • @nlc_atx yes, it is confusing isn't it?  I think got off on it to start with from an article on TB talking about skincare ingredients to avoid.  In order to quickly replace and not spend a fortune I just went to Target and got some CeraVe and Cetaphil products, most of those seem to be okay when I looked them up.  I may try something different if I start having skin problems, I saw a brand called Belli online that looked interesting. 

I didn't get into shampoo.  Since I'm a IVF mom-to-be I already use a lot of products that are free from the chemicals they suggested to avoid as its similar to things its suggested you avoid to help with egg quality.  The one that threw me on the skincare was salicylic acid, I was quite surprised to find it was in several products I was using as only one was an actual treatment product that I would have even thought to look at the label!

As to your question on the midwife, have you looked into area hospitals to see if they offer both?  The hospital my OB uses is allowed to have midwives deliver so you're close to more medical care if needed.  They also offer natural birth room options with your OB that could also quickly move to a higher level of care if needed.  
  • wendy838wendy838 member
    edited October 2020
    How far along are you? 6+1

How big is baby? The size of the eraser on a pencil

Rants/Raves: Two weeks until the U/S! I had BW done last Tuesday and I still haven't heard back from my doctor as to how things look, so frustrating.

Questions: A concern of mine is low progesterone - is there a way to boost the levels naturally? I hear about medications/suppositories, do those need to be prescribed? 

GTKY - how long does it take you to get ready in the morning?  Usually 20-30 mins including breakfast. I shower the night before to help save time and I care less and less about what I wear since I WFH. I don't remember the last time I put on pants that had a zipper  :D

Edited to fix spelling
  • edited October 2020
    How far along are you? 4 weeks, 6 days

How big is baby? The size of a poppy seed.

Rants/Raves: Google is such a scary place! I feel totally normal, zero symptoms yet. No pressure, bloating, tender breasts... the only thing I have is a positive pregnancy test. I'm confused on what I should be experiencing, but everything I'm reading says I should have at least one of those things. Lol

Questions: Do you find yourself having to remind yourself that you're pregnant? We weren't trying but weren't preventing, so I mind of forget until I pass by the picture of the test in my camera roll. Lol

Am I the only one not experiencing any symptoms yet?

GTKY: how long does it take you to get ready in the morning? 30 - 45 minutes, depending if I need to dry hair.
  • @ellieemc26 I already use Cetaphil and Cerave, so I'm ok on face wash and lotion. I've had good luck with them so hopefully they work for you too! Do you have any recommendations on hair products you were already using? I was overdue for a keratin treatment, so I'm preparing myself for 9 months of bad hair.

I'll look into midwifes at local hospitals, thanks. I haven't found any yet, but there are some birthing centers that are across the street so they can transport really easily if necessary. That might be the best of both worlds, while still avoiding the feeling and noise of a hospital.
  • @wendy838 your doctor has to prescribe progesterone.  have you had your levels checked already?  There's likely no reason to be concerned if you doctor didn't already prescribe something.

@nlc_atx I bounce around with brands for haircare, I just normally buy something that is sulfate/paraben/phthalate free.  Honestly, I don't think haircare is something that we really need to worry about much.  I think the issue with skincare is that the chemicals absorb into your skin and we tend to put some crazy stuff on our skin to combat whatever issues we have!
  • How far along are you? 6+3 (I'm updating this based on my O date, not LMP)

How big is baby? chocolate chip

Rants/Raves: ugh, word of advice, don't ever go to your RE if you conceive naturally between IF treatments. This is turning into a nightmare. Mine doesn't have the best manner to begin with. She said nothing encouraging to me yesterday. I've been waiting for the appointment details to pop up in my portal so I can read it. Having requested my records when I went for a 2nd opinion back in August, I've noticed there are things mentioned about the appointments that aren't always known to me. Curious how she will describe the US.

Questions: it's pretty common to measure behind early on in pregnancy right?

GTKY: how long does it take you to get ready in the morning? Hmm... most often it's about an hour 45 minutes. It's the same pre-pandemic but I'm also not spending the time to put makeup on now. If I'm in a major rush from sleeping in I can probably get from waking up to out the door in an hour.

@Maggie1202 I had a super bizarre dream over the weekend too  :D my friend had her friend's and family over at their house. At some point her and her husband go into their bedroom and later come out after a period of silence with a baby. They named him Nicholas. I'm not sure what's weirder, that there was no sound to birthing a baby, or that the baby was very specifically named Nicholas in my dream. So WTF lol

@ellieemc26 I think the biggest skincare ingredients to avoid are retinol/retinoid and salicylic acid. I think most other things are okay.

@nlc_atx I had the same issue needing to find a new OB since mine told me 2 years ago that he no longer delivers babies (I think he focuses on reproductive surgeries or something). I'm just sticking with an OB at least for the first time around so I can get an epidural if needed.

@wendy838 I'm not sure if this would be a way to naturally increase your progesterone, but I know there are lots of women who look into ways to increase the length of the LPs when they are TTC. I don't know if some of those tips can actually increase the progesterone, or if it just helps keep progesterone at an elevated level for longer.

@firsttimer2020 some women just don't have many symptoms or they are very mild. So far I have had minor cramping, sore boobs (this one has stuck around for the last 2 weeks or so), and maybe 1 day of slight nausea. I'm really not experiencing anything else at this point. Most often the symptoms really start after 6-8 weeks (I think).
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • klj0228klj0228 member
    edited October 2020
    Lurking STM

@nlc_atx I’m not sure if any facilities are doing tours in person, but most now have virtual tours available on their website or Facebook. Maybe interview a midwife or two and an OB to see what you prefer. My hospital keeps you for a full 24 hours, but they have made their rooms very labor, delivery and postpartum friendly. They have deep tubs you can labor in, not deliver, handles so you can squat on the bed for delivery, birthing balls, peanut balls to help baby descend into the birth canal and offer various types of pain relief from IV, nitrous oxide and epidurals. I think it is definitely what you are most comfortable with, but I wouldn’t totally cross hospitals off the list since many of them have become more diverse in their labor and delivery options.

ETA: I researched hospitals and decided where I wanted to give birth with my first and then chose an OB practice that delivered there. 
  • @inthewoods23 In my previous pregnancy the U/S tech and dr told me that it was normal to measure 5 days ahead or 5 days behind either way and thats ok and nothing to worry about. So yes, to answer your question, it is totally normal in early pregnancy. Peoples dates could be off on how far along they think they are and when they O'd and conceived etc. 
  • @klj0228 thank you! Our local hospitals have so little information online, but I think they are still doing tours these days. I’ll make sure to ask about all those things before deciding.
  • @firsttimer2020 I have barely any symptoms either, if it makes you feel better. Maybe some (very) mild cramping, but that is it. And yes - I am keeping two of the pregnancy tests I took on my dresser as a reminder that it's happening!
  • @firsttimer2020 I have barely any symptoms either, if it makes you feel better. Maybe some (very) mild cramping, but that is it. And yes - I am keeping two of the pregnancy tests I took on my dresser as a reminder that it's happening!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! I have tested almost everyday since my initial test. I have an appointment 10/22, so I hope that eases my fears. I have been waking up a lot during the night for hours at a time. I guess that counts as a symptom, right? lol