January 2021 Moms

GD Support Thread

A place to discuss all things Gestational Diabetes! Testing/results/diabetic friendly recipes 

Re: GD Support Thread

• Hi all! I'm EDD 12/30 and I usually participate on the Dec board, but since I'm on the cusp I lurk here too...

I'm a FTM with a surprise GD diagnosis--been testing and food planning for 2 weeks now. SUPER nervous about the whole thing, so would love to hear from others who have BTDT or who are also figuring it out!
  • Failed my 1 hr this week 😭. I have never failed before, so I was super surprised when they told me. We also eat pretty dang healthy 80% of the time. Who has done the three hour, and how bad was it? 
    Comfort me. 
    (JK, give me the cold hard truth, me and my pregnancy hormones can take it.)
    1st BFP 6/7/10 premature delivery and loss at 22w2d on 10/4/10
    2nd BFP 10/10/11, EDD 6/2/12,natural m/c 10/13/11 at 6w5d
    3rd BFP 12/25/11, DD born 8/31/12
    4th BFP 1/3/14, DD born 9/5/14
    5th BFP 11/15, DS born 7/24/16
    6th BFP 7/14/16, EDD 3/20/18

• Loading the player...
  • @savykay oh no I’m sorry! No experience but what a bummer, hopefully it’s not too bad!
  • @savykay I'm doing my 3 hour this week too! They called me to tell me I failed my one hour while I was on one of my like 3 daily walks. I was surprised, and then I moved into shame-mode, and then I looked into it a bunch and found out that most factors are outside your control. I think we've all just got some internal stigma attached to the word 'diabetes' but it's not deserved. <3
  • Hi ladies!

Do NOT feel bad about failing your 1 hr (or your 3 hr, if it comes the that.) I have been on a GD protocol for about 6 weeks now. I was stunned when I didn't pass--like you both, I am active (walking + swimming + prenatal yoga) and a healthy eater. Since I was diagnosed I've had the benefit of a GD education class and it can truly happen to anyone, so NO guilt!

The 3-hour, for me, wasn't too bad. I scheduled it for first thing in the AM. Ask your lab/office if there is somewhere you can sit while you wait between draws. My lab let me sit in a side room by myself as I waited. I took my laptop and a book and was able to work in-between draws. Pack some quick-acting snacks in your bag for after your final draw, and eat one before you drive home! I took KIND low-glycemic bars, which are full of protein and evened me out after the test.

Many women fail the 1 hr and do just fine at the 3 hr. And, whatever happens, your doc will tell you what to do next. I was really freaked out at first, but 6 weeks later I'm chugging along just fine.

Good luck!
  • @hanfam2021 I also lived in shame mode for a couple days before I did more research. I’ve been eating as though I have it this week, and it’s not far off from how I normally eat (minus sneaking a chocolate or two) so I feel confident going to the three hour. If I have it, it’s manageable, and if not, great! More thanksgiving pie for me. 

@peyts228 Thanks for all the advice about the test and living with it after! It’s great to know you’ve been doing it 6 weeks, and are getting along no problem. 
    1st BFP 6/7/10 premature delivery and loss at 22w2d on 10/4/10
    2nd BFP 10/10/11, EDD 6/2/12,natural m/c 10/13/11 at 6w5d
    3rd BFP 12/25/11, DD born 8/31/12
    4th BFP 1/3/14, DD born 9/5/14
    5th BFP 11/15, DS born 7/24/16
    6th BFP 7/14/16, EDD 3/20/18