Infertility
Options

Intro! Newbie on 2nd round of IUI

Hi there,

I found this forum after reading a humorous book called “The Underachieving Ovary” (fun suggestion if anyone likes to read!) I didn’t know these forums existed before. If anyone is just getting started, would love to follow along and support each other while going through the process. My sweet, best friend sister, and so many family friends, are preparing for their next baby additions, and not sure I can grit my teeth in a proper smile next time someone tells me, “if you just don’t think about it, it will happen!” I’ve decided I’d rather do the opposite and totally embrace the journey, especially since I’ve been doing this “just be patient” thing for 3 years... It is what it is, and I’ve always enjoyed immersing into “new worlds”, so let’s go!

Just turned 34, DH 44. Currently diagnosed with male factor (morphology); however, I’m a bit suspicious, wondering if there are other things involved. We are on TTC lucky month #37, with 2 early MCs within the first handful of months followed by BFNs repeatedly... Also diagnosed with PCOS in the past with abnormal FSH-LH levels, and it sounds like my mature AFC is on the low end, although RE claims it’s normal (after a slight hesitation pause...).

Currently on 2nd IUI + clomiphene citrate (Double the ante on round #2!) completed last Fri/Sat, so currently in another 2WW. This morning was my first time waking up to doubling-over stomach/pelvic pain, and I’ve had on-off hot flashes for ~7 weeks. Fun stuff!! At least the progesterone pills makes me feel slightly “fun“-loopy (ahem, high) :smile:.

Not too hopeful it’ll work out on this 2nd run, although I started getting excited after noticing a little spotting yesterday (too early, I know, but I’m here so thinking the world can produce strange things?). The next step In the treatment plan will be jumping into IVF. We shall see!

Happy that you all have created this forum to support one another and hoping I will be able to contribute the same. Thanks guys!

Re: Intro! Newbie on 2nd round of IUI

• Options
    Welcome, @smittens2!
     You're in a good place for support from people going through similar journey as you are!

Good luck with the 2ww and hoping it's the one for you!
    If not, monthly IVF discussions here are AMAZING! I think this forum is what kept me sane through my 2 IVF cycles. Glad you found this crew of amazing people!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My story in signature spoiler. Children mentioned.
    Me: 37 DH: 45
    I don't produce FSH, so no natural menstrual cycle. DH has reduced morphology.
    Summer 2014 IUI (with first husband): cancelled after almost a month of stims due to too many follicles
    Time off to divorce, get back on my feet, find a new hubby and get married again 💑
    March 2017 IVF#1: ~70 follicles, 13R, 10M, 7F, 3B = 2 PGS Normal (both XY) - no transfer due to ohss
    Sept 2017 FET#1: BFP, Beta#1 (10dpt) - 253, Beta#2 (12dpt) - 528, DS born 05/31/2018 👨‍👩‍👦
    Dec 2019 FET#2: BFN
    Changed clinic, planning March 2020 IVF#2 - postponed due to the pandemic
    April 2020 IVF #2: ~30 follicles, 24R, 12M, 8F, 4B = 2XY & 2XX, all normal  <3
    Sept 2020 FET#3: one XX embryo, BFP, Beta#1 (9dpt) - 161, Beta#2 (11dpt) - 519, Beta#3 (19dpt) - 7174, Due date 05/30/2021
    DD born 05/23/2021 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 - My family is now complete <3
  • Options
    Welcome @smittens2! GL with the TWW.  You can also check out the Trying to Get Pregnant (TTGP) forum and specifically the testing/ treatment thread.  A lot of women there are also doing IUIs.  
    https://forums.thebump.com/categories/getting-pregnant

Good luck to you!
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome and GL!  Hopefully this will be your cycle! Fx I agree the ttgp ladies are amazing as well.

We had severe mfi and didn't have IUI as an option.  Ivf can get complicated, but some people have an "easier" time with it than others.  We were lucky that once we found sperm, the rest of our protocol was pretty straightforward, but sometimes ivf has a way of starting a whole new journey in and of itself.  Hopefully you won't need it! 😘

How many kids were you hoping to have?  I know it's hard when you see everyone getting pregnant around you... (((Hugs))) I'll be honest, even getting your babies may not take that feeling away; I still see people with bigger families, or couples who get pregnant so easily, and it hurts knowing that it will never be so simple for us.  It's great to have a community of women, unfortunately - who get it. ❤️
  • Options
    @FuzzyDust @laurad75 @BusinessWife thank you so much for the welcoming replies!

I got the results today and unfortunately no success. It surprised me more, though, that doc recommended a pause, until January!  He wants my hormones to reset, start birth control pills, and then informed me of a 2-week closure they’ll have in December for safety/sanitation/testing/something or other. I suppose on the verge of that famous birth year 35 is making each month sound like a louder ticking time bomb. I didn’t have high hopes the IUIs would work, but this was more unexpected. Furthermore, my husband and I are both experiencing a spike in fear towards the drugs. I’ve had a couple blood clots with birth control pills as my only risk factor in my early 20s. So I’m trying to decide if high doses of hormones or chronic blood thinners scare me more.

All of you being here to support each other through the strangeness and loneliness of it all is certainly a gift. 

@BusinessWife luckily we have always had our mind on one child. But I’ve already decided if I end up with twins, I will be on cloud nine about my bonus baby.