Infertility
Options

Newbie Intro // IVF

nicolecdgnicolecdg member
edited September 2020 in Infertility
Hi! 

I’m new to the forum, and my lurking has just begun. I’m 33 (will be 34 in Nov) and in 72 hours I have my first introductory consult with our chosen IVF clinic. I have endo / an endometrioma fairly recently diagnosed. We live abroad and will be going through the preliminary process and prep in London, where we live, before flying to Los Angeles for the actual procedure. We’ve chosen to opt-in to PGD, and to be honest, I am finding the entire process (and all the various stages and steps) a little overwhelming. Hoping to learn more here about other IVF/PGD experiences, timelines and outcomes; tips, advice and info very welcome!

Re: Newbie Intro // IVF

• Options
    Welcome, @nicolecdg!
    IVF process is complex, overwhelming, emotional, and unpredictable. I especially if you’re doing it for the first time. You’re in a good company here - very supportive, and often with a long infertility treatment history under the belt.
    My advise - focus on just one step at a time, it’ll help to not get as overwhelmed. Also - trust your doctors (unless, of course, something feels seriously wrong with the treatment, but that more of an exception than a rule).

good luck!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My story in signature spoiler. Children mentioned.
    Me: 37 DH: 45
    I don't produce FSH, so no natural menstrual cycle. DH has reduced morphology.
    Summer 2014 IUI (with first husband): cancelled after almost a month of stims due to too many follicles
    Time off to divorce, get back on my feet, find a new hubby and get married again 💑
    March 2017 IVF#1: ~70 follicles, 13R, 10M, 7F, 3B = 2 PGS Normal (both XY) - no transfer due to ohss
    Sept 2017 FET#1: BFP, Beta#1 (10dpt) - 253, Beta#2 (12dpt) - 528, DS born 05/31/2018 👨‍👩‍👦
    Dec 2019 FET#2: BFN
    Changed clinic, planning March 2020 IVF#2 - postponed due to the pandemic
    April 2020 IVF #2: ~30 follicles, 24R, 12M, 8F, 4B = 2XY & 2XX, all normal  <3
    Sept 2020 FET#3: one XX embryo, BFP, Beta#1 (9dpt) - 161, Beta#2 (11dpt) - 519, Beta#3 (19dpt) - 7174, Due date 05/30/2021
    DD born 05/23/2021 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 - My family is now complete <3
  • Options
    I was also 33 turned 34 when I did my first IVF cycle. I had an okay response to the stims and we got 9 mature eggs (which impressed my doctor, apparently). From that, we got 2 day 6 embryos which we transferred together and got a little baby girl who arrived 3 months before my 35th birthday so I guess I made my childhood goal of having kids before 35 lol. Now I'm 37 and starting all over again, yay!

Things can be unpredictable, as Fuzzy said, and sometimes you have more questions than the doctors have answers, but just go one step at a time. I focused first on doing my stims, getting to retrieval, and then getting to transfer -- honestly, I never thought I'd even make it to transfer. I kept my hopes pretty low since I've been disappointed so many times on this journey -- it was a way of protecting my heart -- but my doctor and his team were all rooting for me! Lean on your nurses and doctors whenever you need; they do understand how intimidating this process can be.
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mbradfo2, that’s so cool, I also did my first IVF (total roller-coaster!) when I was 33, then transferred at 34 and baby born 3 days before I turned 35. I’m also now 37, doing it again 😂 (but a bit ahead of you, already transferred). I must say - my second round of IVF went MUCH better then the first - physically, emotionally, and result wise.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My story in signature spoiler. Children mentioned.
    Me: 37 DH: 45
    I don't produce FSH, so no natural menstrual cycle. DH has reduced morphology.
    Summer 2014 IUI (with first husband): cancelled after almost a month of stims due to too many follicles
    Time off to divorce, get back on my feet, find a new hubby and get married again 💑
    March 2017 IVF#1: ~70 follicles, 13R, 10M, 7F, 3B = 2 PGS Normal (both XY) - no transfer due to ohss
    Sept 2017 FET#1: BFP, Beta#1 (10dpt) - 253, Beta#2 (12dpt) - 528, DS born 05/31/2018 👨‍👩‍👦
    Dec 2019 FET#2: BFN
    Changed clinic, planning March 2020 IVF#2 - postponed due to the pandemic
    April 2020 IVF #2: ~30 follicles, 24R, 12M, 8F, 4B = 2XY & 2XX, all normal  <3
    Sept 2020 FET#3: one XX embryo, BFP, Beta#1 (9dpt) - 161, Beta#2 (11dpt) - 519, Beta#3 (19dpt) - 7174, Due date 05/30/2021
    DD born 05/23/2021 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 - My family is now complete <3
  • Options
    Thank you both so much @mbradfo2 @FuzzyDust for responding and sharing your stories. You’ve given me great advice. It’s really so complex and overwhelming. I’m finding it hard to know where to begin, and as a planner, that’s torture for me. But you’re right - one step at a time. Im going to try my best!

I have my first consult with The Fertilty Institute on Tuesday night 🤞🏻
  • Options
    Hi Newbie,
    You can just go through this article for all information related to IVF. Wish you for a successful IVF treatment and early pregnancy. 
  • Options
    Hi @nicoledg26! I’m a newbie here too, started the ART process in July. I’ve had a couple unsuccessful IUIs so moving on to IVF now. 

I’m a huge planner too, can’t start a day without planning it out over a cup of coffee. After getting through testing and hearing the recommendations from RE, he laid out like a rough draft plan of action, and that was already so helpful. After each step, the next one became more certain from knowing the results of the prior. It has felt like a each step is a marker to reach on a course.  It’s odd, but despite the feeling of powerlessness in the situation, each new step has given me a sense of progress. Because this is actually doing something about it.  I’ve spent days researching too, but nothing like the comprehension that comes through going through an experience yourself. I feel more at ease just learning about each step/decision as it comes. The need-to-know aspect becomes real. I hope something in this could be useful for the uncertainty and overwhelm.

How was your consultation?!