February 2021 Moms
Options

Ask a STM/+ -- Space and Money-Saving Tips

Is your living area tiny like Pluto? Does some of the baby gear out there look like an asteroid coming straight for your savings? Let's talk about space (and money). :wink:

Some question ideas to get us started:
-What are ways that you saved space?
-What are some ways that you saved money?
-What were some things that took up a lot of space/money but were worth it? And what wasn't worth the space/money?

If you post a recommendation for an item, try to share a link to it when possible.

Re: Ask a STM/+ -- Space and Money-Saving Tips

• Options
    One thing that saved me some money is that I bought a regular ol' dresser off of Facebook Marketplace for $90 that was waist height, and just plopped a changing pad on top of it. Voila! Changing table/dresser for less than $100. And then once DS is no longer in diapers, I can just take off the changing pad and I've got a regular, solid dresser for the rest of his childhood. I find that nursery and baby-specific things are a lot like wedding things. Just by slapping the term "baby" or "nursery" on something, companies can sell a piece of cheap furniture for twice the cost. It's the same with gliders that are marketed specifically for nurseries at Buy Buy Baby and the like.

Speaking of FB marketplace, if you live in a decently-sized city, that place is a treasure trove of baby deals. Unless it's a carseat or something safety-related like that, I always check Marketplace first. Especially for strollers and other expensive gear.
  • Options
    If you have friends with a swing or mamaroo or a jumper or exersaucer save yourself some money and space and borrow it for a few days to see it baby is even interested. Neither of my boys liked those things although I had some luck with a jumper for a couple months with my second. I needed a safe space to put him down a couple times a day so I could run to the other end of the house for 10 minutes and swap laundry. Also, all of those things are only recommended to be used for a short amount of time. 

I love my mini crib—I bought it because I have a huge master and I wanted something solid to put baby in for the first 6-8 months instead of a pack and play or a bassinet. But it takes up so much less space that we have one at my parents house for when we visit. My oldest was still sleeping in it at 3 when we’d visit for a couple weeks. 

All a baby really needs are clothes, diapers and a safe place to sleep so you don’t have to buy a ton of things to “entertain” them.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    moguippymoguippy member
    edited September 2020
    I second the borrow a mamaroo/swing/bouncer/etc to see if your kid likes it. We got a bunch of stuff as hand me downs except a swing and my kid hated all of them. I had to ask my bro to borrow their swing after trying all the other stuff. The swing had such a big foot print but it was the only thing he liked so we put the rest of the crap away and used that. You never know what your kid is gonna like so don’t spend a ton of money until you know. We bought a dresser from target with a removable changing pad thing. Our bedrooms are small and we simply didn’t have enough room for a dresser and a changing table. Once this kiddo is out of diapers we will have a regular dresser. 

https://www.target.com/p/delta-children-skylar-3-drawer-dresser-with-changing-top-gray/-/A-52708281

We also opted for a regular rocker instead of one of those big armchair things that are popular now. It definitely has a smaller footprint.  My main thing is that I wanted to be able to clean it easier bc I did a lot of feeding there and I couldn’t imagine trying to clean spit up out of an upholstered chair 3 times a day. (We don’t use the foot part)

Storkcraft Premium Hoop Glider and Ottoman (White Base, Gray Chevron Cushion) – Padded Cushions with Storage Pocket, Smooth Rocking Motion, Easy to Assemble, Solid Hardwood Base https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00L40QBYE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ePEBFb7S4EBDD

For high chairs, we got a handmedown high chair (graco?) that has a huge footprint so we bought the fisher price booster and that has worked much better. (We don’t have cushions on our chair so we can just wipe up messes) 

Fisher-Price Healthy Care Booster Seat [Amazon Exclusive] https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CSAWIP0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lNEBFb7MTZRG0

• Options
    I second the regular dresser with changing pad on top, then you can just take it off when they are done with it. Also the borrowing of swings/jumpers to see if your kiddo likes them. We were gifted a huge exersaucer and I cannot stand it! It is huge, hard to store, and DS shows little to no interest in it. The swing I got is one that folds flat and is super light so it is stored under the crib now until #2 is here.

save money by not buying entertainment stuff ahead, people love gifting it as well so you will most likely end up with more than you need without buying much and all they need is onesies, PJs and diapers at first. Whenever people ask what he needs for a birthday or holiday I just tell them clothes in the next size up which has worked out great to cut down on excess things we don’t need and not having to buy much clothing.

For everything I researched a travel version because those tend to be lighter and smaller, the big splurge was a bob jogging stroller but I use it a lot so it was worth it!
  • Options
    I have a high chair that reclines and it's awesome to set baby in while in in the kitchen and not in the eating stage yet. However, if you don't have a lot of kitchen/dining space I also really like this hang on seat which would work when baby can sit up and is ready to try table food:
    https://www.target.com/p/chicco-quick-seat-hook-on-high-chair-isle/-/A-75558343?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Baby_High+Margin&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9019084&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&ds_rl=1242884&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzbv7BRDIARIsAM-A6-12ZfM5VS_oiURz8FvSU7p0WynQGefzoqCEDryqm9VFSAnQmxRKc38aAgxyEALw_wcB
    The cover can be machine washed, it's really sturdy, and doesn't take up floor space. It's a tad heavy but you could also bring it to visit friends/family or restaurants. Excellent quality
  • Options
    @jumpy57 we have a clamp on one similar to that and it is awesome once they can use it to plop them in while cooking and then they are front and center. We actually don’t have a high chair at all and after using one at a family member’s house for a long weekend I am really glad we don’t! For meals at the table we use a bumbo with a tray like the one below. It is easy to store in a cupboard and you can throw the whole thing in the sink to clean it. I felt like even the massive tray on the high chair was a pain let alone all the crevices food can get stuck in! 

https://www.amazon.com/Bumbo-B11119-Multi-Seat-Cool/dp/B01N4ASMTL/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=bumbo+seat+with+tray&qid=1601172205&sprefix=bumbo&sr=8-2