December 2020 Moms

Gtky: family tradition

What is your favorite family tradition? Or what is a family tradition you would like to start?
BabyFruit Ticker
older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 

Re: Gtky: family tradition

• Christmas Eve my famjam will all get PJ’s to open as an early present, to pick a movie for the evening, bake cookies for Santa and get a new book to read before bedtime. Just a thing I’ve always wanted to do! 
  • We love holiday traditions. We put up our Christmas Village on the first weekend in November, but don't put our tree up until the weekend after Thanksgiving. This year we'll get all our decorations up in November though with baby coming on November 23rd. 
    Blueberry muffins are a must on Christmas morning.
    My H’s fam always got to open a present xmas eve, which were always pj’s, and they’d wear them xmas morning to open presents. I’d like to keep that tradition alive!
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• Loading the player...
  • @bearmomma1 @tryingktogku my fam did the Xmas eve PJs + present tradition and once I was in college we added in boozy hot chocolates and desserts to the mix! I still love to do this but my H is not a very big Xmas fan. I hope this baby will warm up his cold Christmas heart lol 

So, basically Christmas everything is 100% all of my favorite family traditions. But a 2nd favorite is how my Mom treated holidays - all of them. As a kid and even into adulthood I got very elaborate baskets for everything - Vday, St Pays day, Easter - you name it. Halloween was also a big event! I hope to recreate the magic of every holiday for our little muffin! 

• We have a lot of little ones around Christmas, too. On Christmas Eve our extended family normally spends the day at my Gma's where we eat, get a present or two, and my uncle reads the Christmas story from the Bible. My Mom also does pjs for her kids, their spouses, and her grandkids (around 26 pairs at this point!).

Normally in December my mom, sisters and I go to a local confectionery shop for a gingerbread house decorating class. This year I think we're sitting out for the first time in about a decade.

In our house we do cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning.

We also have a New Year's tradition carried over from Italy. We have bagna cauda right after midnight for good luck. It's basically a fondue style dip made of anchovies, garlic, and butter. Definitely not for the faint of heart 😂

image     image
  • The family tradition that sticks out the most is that we opened presents from Santa on Christmas Eve morning for as long as I can remember.  At one point we moved a few hours away from my grandparents so we wrote letters to Santa asking him to bring out presents a day early haha.  And we've just always done that since.  Now it's morphed into having a nice immediate family Christmas Eve dinner the day before Christmas Eve.

Now we live pretty far away from family - 9 & 13 hour car trips to get to our parents.  So our new tradition is to go somewhere fun for holiday stuff in December.  Last year we went to Hershey Lodge when it was decorated for Christmas and got a package that included breakfast with Santa and passes to Hershey Park.  This year we're skipping it, but our plan is to do something similar ever year we're on our own for Christmas.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• We usually do Christmas a week early at my moms and wear matching pjs. We then fly to see my dad and wear the matching pjs on the plane. This year we won’t be going anywhere besides my moms for obvious reasons. But it’s our fun little holiday tradition that I love. 
  • DH and I always watch specific Christmas movies (Muppet Christmas Carol, the animated Grinch, a couple others). We also usually go to see the massive gingerbread displays at the Disney resorts, but that’s not happening this year, so we’ll wait for next year. My immediate family always had someone “play Santa” to hand out the presents from under the tree. I think it was just an easier way of keeping things under control 🤣
    Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020
  • Thanksgiving dinner probably. I don’t usually go home for thanksgiving but I loved it!  Usually about 20 people there. And yummy foods. 
    So I like to host “friendsgiving “ dinner wherever I’m living 

my dad also was an avid salmon fisherman. On my birthday My favorite think my dad would make is salmon on toasted bagels with cream cheese.   But not salmon like lox.. he’d cut the salmon in thin-ish slices (1/2-1cm).  And sauté Sauté in butter with lots of crushed garlic. Put the garlic in first so it’s Crispy by the time it’s done. Lots of cream cheese garlic salmon on top  open face bagel.       So now I make that for special brunches. And of course for my birthday.  
  • edited September 2020
    @autumn87654321 lol that sounds disgusting to me right now 🐠 I usually like salmon but can’t handle it during this pregnancy 
  • @tryingktogku - Same! I usually looooove salmon and eat it at least once a week, but it's been my one aversion this whole pregnancy. The thought of eating it makes me gag.
  • Lol. I didn’t even think about that.  Mostly I still eat everything. So it still seems good to me.  I’m usually just afraid of what will give me heartburn but i always want Thai food anyway 
  • On the kids birthdays we take them out to birthday breakfast just the birthday kid and parents before school.  Obviously we haven't been able to do this one this year :( 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7