February 2021 Moms

Weekly Randoms 9/21

Happy first day of autumn (on the 22nd)!

Photo by Julie Audet

Re: Weekly Randoms 9/21

• Did everyone have a good weekend? Do anything fun/interesting?
  • @hannahbananas11 I saw a video of a bear picking up a traffic cone on Instagram yesterday and the caption said “Only in Alaska.” Thought of you haha! 
  • Loading the player...
  • We tried grocery delivery for the first time. It's nice, but I like being able to substitute things (and pick the correct items in general) 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • I’m kind of annoyed. We need to have an appt with genetics. I called last Thursday morning and left a message since no one answered. Today my OB called and said that genetics contacted them to tell them that they scheduled me for this Friday at 1pm. And that the OB should call me and ask if that was a good time. Like why couldn’t genetics just call me?  I left my phone number (twice) in the voicemail and I don’t even think I left my OB’s name. So they had to look up who my OB is (genetics is at the same hospital I delivered DS at and my OB already called them about something earlier for me so they had the info). I feel like that is so much more work than just calling me back to make the appt. I just said that time was good but it’s not really I’ll just make it work so I don’t have to do anymore back and forth. 

H is home today and is supposed to be fixing up the spare bedroom so we can move DS in there and this kiddo will go into the room DS is in now. My H takes like 283616 breaks and is just effing it up more and I’m this close to just hiring someone to get it done in a few days. Im so over him trying to do crap and making it worse. 
  • @moguippy ummmm yeah, would have been much easier for them to just call you to schedule. Sounds similar to how scheduling my ultrasounds go, doctor puts the order in and they will call you to schedule but you better not miss that call because they won't leave a call back number and you'll have to guess and no one will know what you are talking about 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • @birdiejo that sounds accurate. LOL Bears are like large dogs, always getting into everything. 😆

@moguippy that is really annoying. Both the office and the H. My H usually is good about staying focused, but it takes him weeks/months to get around to doing anything he doesn’t want to do. 🤦‍♀️
  • @moguippy - My MFM office sends messages via my OB and it's super annoying.  Like, you have my e-mail, my phone number, and I already communicate with two of your staff regularly through the app. Why involve the OB office at all?

Weekend was fairly productive. Did a bunch of de-cluttering for our city-wide clean-out days this week. 

Also tested out the new bathtub with a bath bomb, soft music and lots of candles. I put my NA beverage in a stemmed glass just for the ambiance, lol. Very relaxing. Had to remind myself not to let it get too hot or stay in too long, but overall was good.
    Me: 34 | DH: 46
    SD: 21 & SS: 17
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*
    TTC 6/13/2015 | BFP #1 5/14/2017 | MMC 7/28/2017 (Trisomy 18) | IL + D&C 8/4/2017

• Continued the relaxation protocols last night by straightening my hair and updating my nails.  Also finally organized my thrifting haul from last week. (23 pieces for ~$25 before tax)

BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*
    TTC 6/13/2015 | BFP #1 5/14/2017 | MMC 7/28/2017 (Trisomy 18) | IL + D&C 8/4/2017

• Anybody have an amazing multifunction coffee maker they want to recommend? 
  • @birdiejo I don’t drink coffee, so I’ve got nothing. Sorry!

I accidentally fell asleep on the couch at 8:30, woke up at 10 and headed to bed, and now it’s 11:45 and I’m still awake. I hate how badly pregnancy messes with my sleep. I never struggle with sleep except for when I’m pregnant. Which makes me extra stabby when people are all like “Enjoy your sleep now, because you won’t once the baby is here har har har!” 🙄
  • @birdiejo 😂 I was hoping someone would have a good coffee recommendation for you. I, the coffee snob, love using either my aeropress or pour over for coffee so I'm no help
  • @birdiejo we switched from a keurig to a ninja coffee maker a few years ago and I love it. I can still make a single cup at a time but it will also make a full or half pot. I actually use the milk frother to make lattes afew times a week too. 
    https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Specialty-Fold-Away-CM407-Stainless/dp/B07PFLM2LK/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ninja+coffee&qid=1600870055&sr=8-2&th=1
    Me: 31 Husby: 36
    Married May 2014
    TTC # 2  Since December 2021
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    Diagnosis: Poor Egg Quality 
    Working with an RE since March 2016
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    23 eggs collected, 20 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 4 day 3 blasts, 3 day 5 blasts, 1 PGS normal
    Transferred 1 PGS normal embryo 4.12.17
    BFP 4.21.17
    MMC due to small gestational sac 6.8.17

Our adoption journey:
    12.25.18 Agency picked and apps submitted!
    5.1.19 Adoption on hold so we can buy a house! 
    1.1.20 Homestudy process started
    3.14.20 First social worker visit
    5.25.20 Homestudy Approved & Submitted to Agency

6.1.20 Surprise! Positive pregnancy test!
    Healthy baby girl born 2/10/2021

• @birdiejo I also don’t drink coffee so no help here

@hannahbananas11 it’s like our bodies train us to get crap sleep while we’re pregnant bc we’ll be getting crap sleep with a newborn!  I didn’t have this much trouble sleeping when I was pregnant with DS and I think that’s why I’m so much more tired this time... plus chasing a 2y/o who gets up early no matter if it’s the weekend or not. 

Our dryer broke Thursday and we really need to do laundry so I’m wfh at my moms today so I can use their washer/dryer. I didn’t realize she was off work today and she keeps trying to talk to me. Luckily I have a slow day. 

In other news I convinced H we should put the flannel sheets on our bed but was unsuccessful in convincing him it was time for the heating blanket. I mean it’s not really time for it but I’m always cold!  
  • @moguippy so sorry about your dryer! Glad you have family that’s close by to use theirs. 

Yes to flannel sheets and having a SO who is your temperature opposite. My husband will only allow jersey knit instead of flannel in the winter, so I usually sleep in flannel jammies, a sweatshirt, and hospital socks. I even looked at the Bed Jet to keep just his side cooler, but the price was a huge deterrent. 
  • @tamalahoops this is the one I was looking at! I hesitated after reading a few not so great reviews but I think I’m going to go for it. 
  • @birdiejo We've loved ours! I recommend the glass carafe one as thats what we have. 
    Married May 2014
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    23 eggs collected, 20 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 4 day 3 blasts, 3 day 5 blasts, 1 PGS normal
    BFP 4.21.17

Our adoption journey:

• I'm thinking about ideas for an Ask a STM/+ thread. Here's what I've got so far:
    --things that we wish we were told beforehand about labor and delivery (either good or bad)
    --newborn life hacks
    --breastfeeding/pumping pro tips
    --postpartum self-care

What else? I'm happy to keep a list and start up the threads on a weekly or bi-weekly basis in a couple of weeks.
  • @tamalahoops I did it! I got the one that has the tea feature too. Going to pick it up from target right now. I’m excited! 
  • I have no good recommendations on coffee makers. We used to have a really awesome programmable one with a reservoir instead of a carafe, but it didn't last very long so I really can't recommend it. I think it was a B&D. We paid like $100 for it at BB&B and were super disappointed and have stuck with boring normal pots ever since.
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*

• I'm thinking about ideas for an Ask a STM/+ thread. Here's what I've got so far:
    --things that we wish we were told beforehand about labor and delivery (either good or bad)
    --newborn life hacks
    --breastfeeding/pumping pro tips
    --postpartum self-care

What else? I'm happy to keep a list and start up the threads on a weekly or bi-weekly basis in a couple of weeks.
    I am a STM, but would also appreciate tips from others who are on a budget, renting, small space, etc. (For example, I'm in a 2 bedroom apartment with my husband, 15 month old son, baby on the way, dog and cat....not a whole lot of space for extra gear.)  I feel like a LOT of the products being recommended are more on the pricy side, or "nice to have if you can afford it, but not a must have" items.
  • @angelofmusick good idea! I’ll add that to the list! I’ll do that one first, since that’s applicable right now.
  • @hannahbananas11 those are all good! And I definitely second the “crap you don’t really need” thread
  • Good suggestions so far! I’ll add “Space-saving hacks” and “Shit I was told I’d need but actually didn’t”. 😆
  • @angelofmusick yes good idea! They are sooooooo many cool baby things that aren't actually necessary. A thread of WHAT DO YOU ACTUALLY NEED would be nice
  • Also, what is worth splurging for brand new vs. using hand-me-downs or buying used?
  • I'm down for the "shit you actually need" thread.

I'd also be interested to know what items you found were best to be picky about and what items were more so any brand / style / price point as long as it's minimally functional.
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*

• I love talking about baby stuffs. I like all the topics mentioned above ! 
  • Is anyone interested in a monthly appointment thread? I figure there are lots of anatomy scans coming up! I'm happy to start! 
    Married May 2014
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    BFP 4.21.17

Our adoption journey:

• My anatomy scan is today, and my H is going to be in charge of DS during it. Well, H just called and was like "hey, can I meet you at the ob's clinic instead of you picking me up on your way?" I asked him why, and he said "Well, one of my patients always arrives about 20 minutes late, so I might not be done in time for the start of your appointment". Well, then, tell that patient tough shit if they can't get there in time, because you have plans outside of the office that have been in the calendar for over a month. I'm so annoyed. The ob is allowing H to come to the AS, and the plan was for him to have DS in the Tula during it, so that DS is contained and cannot wreak havoc on the exam room, but DS can still see everything on the scan. Now who knows what'll happen. He'd better sort this out, because there's no way I'm going to be saying "Leo don't touch that. Leo leave that cord alone. Leo don't open that drawer." five billion times while getting an ultrasound. Giving my H all the side eye right now.
  • @hannahbananas11 ughhh. How did it go? 😣
  • I’m in a bum mood today. I don’t know if it’s the hormones or that I slept like crap. My 2yo is being a turd and I can’t keep my cool. My house is a giant mess and that gives me such anxiety and I feel like I can never relax bc there is always something to clean/organize. I’m sure my H will nap most of the afternoon since he woke up at 4 and couldn’t go back to sleep so I’ll be cleaning the living room and organizing DS’s pants/shoes by myself. 
  • @moguippy ugh that sucks. I get anxious about mess, too, and it’s basically always a mess around my house. It’s so hard to clean with a toddler. Solidarity. :/
  • Omg I vacuumed three times today and it’s like my son follows me around throwing crumbs behind me all day 🤪. 

Tomorrow morning is my ultrasound. I’m nervous and excited eek. 
  • moguippymoguippy member
    edited September 2020
    I successfully pulled out all DS’s pants that are too short and organized DS’s old shoes into a bin for kiddo #2. Pulled a few pairs out for my nephew and bagged up the few random pairs of girls socks and shoes that got mixed somehow for my goddaughter. I woke DH up after 40 minutes and he mowed the lawn. Then we went to my parents to use their washer/dryer again and I made the pumpkin cookies from the recipe @hannahbananas11 posted a few weeks ago. So we actually had a pretty productive afternoon!

@birdiejo So. Many. Crumbs.  Good luck at your scan tomorrow!
  • @moguippy I need your motivation to go through my sons clothes...it’s forever on my to do list

@hannahbananas11 I was so excited to see you post the gender on the u/s thread. I was dying to know!
  • WildMageletWildMagelet member
    edited September 2020
    I may or may not have started legit holiday shopping today, not just a few rando staples online. DH gave me crap because it's not October yet, but my thought process is if we decide that we're not doing Thanksgiving x Christmas with the fam, I want to be done shopping by end of October so I can have everything wrapped and ready to drop off at my parents house the day of my MFM appointment a week or so before Thanksgiving. (My MFM doctor is in the same town they live in.) I actually made a decent dent and am feeling pretty good about it. The siblings I usually have the most trouble with are actually almost done, so yay? 
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*