March 2021 Moms

Weight Gain

*Trigger warning* for anyone that may struggle with the weight gain aspect of pregnancy!!

I didn’t gain any weight at 14+2, but to my surprise five days later I had gained five pounds!! How in the world did I gain five pounds in five days!? I’ve been eating my typical healthy diet with the occasional treat when I’m feeling it. Has anyone experienced rapid weight gain in the second trimester?? Did it slow down?? 

I’m really hoping my OB isn’t upset with me when I see her in a few weeks!!

Re: Weight Gain

• Be sure to always weigh yourself at the same time of day under the same conditions, for example first thing in the morning right after you pee. You won't get as many inconsistencies that way. I can gain 3lbs in a day if I weigh myself after a big meal but I know that's not accurate. If your eating habits stay relatively consistent, then all of the sudden there's a big jump in your weight, I'd attribute it to "the baby had a growth spurt" lol So unless you're being told by your doctor to keep your weight gain to minimum, try not to sweat it. (Easier said than done, I know) 
    DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
    clevans1
  • I think this is just like weighing yourself non-pregnant. Too much water? Retained too much salt? Maybe you ate more of your healthy diet than you usually do? Some days you just happen to weigh yourself and catch yourself at a bad time. It would be really hard, if not impossible, to truly gain 5 lbs in a few days. If everything truly is staying the same and you are suddenly & rapidly gaining weight, then I would give your OB a call.
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 26, DH: 31
    Diagnosed with Hashimoto's 06/17
    BFP #1: 05/11/16 DD born 01/01/17, Happy New Year
    TTC #2: 01/2019
    BFP #2 09/24/19--Ended in chemical pregnancy
    BFP #3 07/02/2020 Due: 03/10/2021

• Loading the player...
  • juliebeannnjuliebeannn member
    edited September 2020
    Might be TMI, but a good poop could make a difference of 2 lbs.  Lol.  Add to that pregnancy constipation, that could easily be a few lbs.  Also, from what I've read, so much of the weight gain during pregnancy isn't fat, it's mostly water weight from amniotic fluid, increase in your own blood supply, etc.  So, don't be so hard on yourself.  It's unlikely you gained 5lbs of fat in 5 days. 
    Together 2007 | Married 2011 | Me: 36 | DH: 38
    Adopted Furbaby: 2014
    TTC#1 : 1/2016 | IUI #2 - BFP 12/24/16 -- born 9/8/17
    TTC#2: 11/2019 | Dx DOR (AMH 0.3), AMA
    IUI #2 - BFP 7/1/20 -- EDD 3/14/21
    manillabarkloe818nolemama242ndtimemomatl
  • This is the article I read and it really helped me understand or well, at least not obsess over weight gain as much.

https://expectingscience.com/2017/11/14/five-little-known-facts-about-pregnancy-weight-gain/
    Together 2007 | Married 2011 | Me: 36 | DH: 38
    Adopted Furbaby: 2014
    TTC#1 : 1/2016 | IUI #2 - BFP 12/24/16 -- born 9/8/17
    TTC#2: 11/2019 | Dx DOR (AMH 0.3), AMA
    IUI #2 - BFP 7/1/20 -- EDD 3/14/21
  • I completely agree with @juliebeannn! You are not gaining fat especially if your diet is the same. Carrying a baby comes with fluid, placenta, baby and extra blood volume. Rapid weight gain and swelling can be a sign of pre-clampsia but that doesn’t usually happen until later in pregnancy. I would not stress about your weight unless it is a significant amount. 5 pounds is really nothing...most likely water and blood volume. Try not to stress! 😊
    clevans1
  • I'm always bouncing around because of water weight and constipation. I have put on a grand total of 5 pounds since I started my IVF cycle in June and most of that was water due to the drugs beforehand and blood volume. Try weighing yourself again in a couple days. I'd say it's likely you'll be back down at least part of that.
  • Thanks so much everyone!! This helped so much. I actually don’t own a scale because I typically don’t pay attention to it unless I’m pregnant. I was just a bit shocked!! I’ll monitor over the next few days and call my OB if I have concerns. 
    juliebeannnprincessjenneykloe818