December 2020 Moms

Milestone - Breast pumps!

Insurance options, research and experience- what are you getting? What have you used? 

Re: Milestone - Breast pumps!

• With DS I had a medela pump in style provided by insurance, it was ok.  The office I worked in at the time had a Medela lactina that we shared, just buying a personal kit for it.  I really like that - I felt I produced the most using it.  After I was transferred to an office without a lactina, I bought a Spectra S2 for the office and I liked that more than the pump in style.  This time around I'm not sure if insurance will just provide another pump in style, I haven't checked it out yet.  I need to find my Spectra and see if it still works...hopefully I just need some new valves.

I also used a haakaa, but not very often.  I'm not sure if I still have it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• gingkomamagingkomama member
    edited September 2020
    I ordered mine recently (but it won't ship for awhile yet). I used Aeroflow and ordered the Motif Luna.

Last time I had a Spectra S2 which I liked, but reviews comparing the Spectra to the Luna favor the Luna so I went with that one this time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for reminding me. I just ordered another one through Aeroflow. Last time I had the Spectra S1, which I liked since it was battery chargeable. I'm fine reusing the same pump but wanted new tubes/duck bills/etc., but it was actually more expensive to order all those separately than it was to just order a new pump that comes with a bag...so that's what I did. (I had to order the S2 which isn't battery chargeable, but all the accessories are the same) 
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• I had Spectra (battery one) and the tiny chargeable 9+, I actually got more out of the 9+! You can get parts MUCH cheaper on amazon so that's what I bought. I also used different flanges but I can't remember what they were. They're in the basement so I'm going to sterilize and reuse. Flange size is so important for comfy and productive pumping!
  • I ordered the Spectra 9+ through insurance and since I have so much extra FSA money might get another one. Torn between the Spectra S1 or trying one of the hands free Options like Willow... we’ll see!
  • @shelmcclel the 9+ was my favorite! It can clip to your pants so for me it basically was hands free. I would use my pumping bra and go about the house doing whatever, it was my favorite pump! 
  • After reading reviews I’m torn between the spectra S2 and the Ameda Mya Joy. Both are fully covered. 
    I don’t want to pay the upgrade for the S1, a friend offered to sell me her s1 for the same cost as the upgrade so then I could have both the S1 and the insurance one. 

• gingkomamagingkomama member
    edited September 2020
    I had the S2 and didn't miss having the battery at all. I did buy an extra power cord though to keep one at work and one at home (that actually wasn't even an issue either until Is as home sick one day and realized I still needed to pump). I'd go with the S2. @the_road_to_oz
  • I had a medela didn’t hate it but didn’t love it. I’m ordering a spectra s2 since it has the best reviews I’ve found!
  • I had the medela and my supply had so many issues and I think it was the wrong pump for me. I’ll be paying the upgrade fee through insurance ($180!) and get the Spectra S2. It’s a bundle pack with a bag and some accessories so of course they jacked the price. I’m just praying it works. My supply was done by 16 weeks and I still beet myself up about it 4 years later...
    DS born 2016
  • This is the upgrade package for it
    DS born 2016
  • Anyone have experience with this Phillips avent double electric breast pump? In Canada and due to covid it’s hard to get anything from the states so that’s the only one I could find that has decent reviews! My midwife said we’re gonna go full blown pumping once I hit 37 weeks since I’ve got colostrum already so I’d like to order one soon! Not sure how to get the spectra here as it was my first choice before borders shut down!
  • Does Spectra not ship to Canada? That's a huge bummer. @tryingktogku
  • I had an ameda, a medela and a Spectra S2. I was exclusively pumping with the ameda, and by the end, the motor crapped out! The medela and spectra got light use, but I liked the spectra best. I will probably get another one this time since it is covered and new tubes and stuff isn’t. I would echo what @willashbaby said about finding the right sized flanges. It makes an enormous difference in comfort and amount expressed!
  • @tryingktogku I had an avent before my medela and it was not good for me. I should say I have really big boobs and I blame that on my pump issues! 
  • @gingkomama no they don’t and I live in a border city so I can literally throw a rock across the river and hit the states so it’s even more frustrating lol canada has a much more limited selection 

@conni0205 that’s good to know! I have larger breasts myself so maybe it won’t be a good fit 
  • I made an LC appt at the pediatricians office for November and I really hope she can teach me how to use this the right way. With DS, I had no idea what to do. I still honestly don’t even know what a letdown is. 
    DS born 2016
  • @jbal918 With my first, I was able to have a home visit from an LC my pediatrician recommended a few days after he was born. If you’re still struggling with nursing or pumping after this one comes you may want to try that. It helped to actually get real experience after my milk came in as opposed to the abstract class I took prior to birth. I still wound up exclusively pumping with DS, but the lessons I learned from the LC were still with me when I nursed the other two.
  • @tryingktogku Ugh that stinks. I know some people have a PO Box across the border... But I'm guessing border crossings are frowned upon at the moment?
  • @tryingktogku I have an Advent and actually liked it. I'm in Canada to. I have the double but really only needed a single. Tbh didn't use it a whole lot because nursing worked well and I was rarely away from my babies long enough, just a choice I made. 
    @gingkomama the border is closed to non essential travel, we won't be crossing over any time soon. 
  • cassafrass15cassafrass15 member
    edited September 2020
    @jbal918 As @readermom1 said, meeting with the LC post-birth could really be a huge benefit for you if it’s an option. I exclusively pumped with DD and meeting with the LC several times after birth was a game-changer.

@tryingktogku I also had an Advent that I kept at work and I liked it. My boobs aren’t huge, but more medium sized tho.
  • @hadassah2020 that’s good to know! I don’t plan on pumping much at all as I will be home for 13 months but I do want one to help induce labour and for when I do have to be away for my baby for more than a few hours (say even like date night with hubby) which is why I don’t want to spend a bunch on a medela
  • Bashful question from a FTM: how do you figure out which flange sizes are right for you?? Trial and error, I guess?
  • @peyts228 I use the pumpin pals flanges and they were great! Much more comfortable than any others I tried. I EPd so I pumped a lot. 
  • @tryingktogku that's about all I did. I hope it works for you for inducing labour! Unsuccessful for me last time but I know it works for others. I always kept a few bags in the freezer just in case they were needed and then just used the leftover bags in cereal for the kids after they were weaned. At least it didn't go to waste that way. 

I also used a milk catcher one the opposite side as baby while nursing and saved so much milk that way!
  • @peyts228 I realized one size was too small because when I used it they caused irritation, almost like chaffing, and I would be sore until I had a break in pumping (like being home and nursing on weekends).

A lactation consultant may be able to help. If you notice any painful discomfort after pumping that could be an indicator . 

As far as advice (from a BTDT mom who is *not* an LC) you want flanges that seal around the aerola and have a bit of space around the front or sides of your nipple. Generally as you pump your nipple will expand/swell a little when stimulated while pumping so a slightly larger flange is better than too small.

The website KellyMom is great for evidence based breastfeeding info and covers a ton of random questions that feel weird 😉
    image     image
  • @willashbaby @mom_of_the_vogels Thanks so much for the tips, ladies!
  • @readermom1 and @cassafrass15 Oh I’ve been looking for one to come here! I just don’t know where to start so I figured the peds was a good place for before she gets here. 
    DS born 2016
  • Anyone on here used or just got the willow breast pump?? I want to get that one, but would love some insight from someone who has used it.  I have two children already so something hands free and cordless like that would be amazing!!
  • I just ordered the Spectra S2 pump! It costs $180 out of pocket even though pumps are free because it was considered an upgrade. Medella did not do its job for me so I'm praying this works! I also plan on ordering stuff to help build my supply since I had bad supply issues last time as well as seeing an LC in November and then again when baby girl is here! 
    DS born 2016
  • I’m Kindof late for this conversation... I just read it all and have a million questions.  
     it seems like the spectra S2 is a good one but everyone keeps saying $180 -is that after insurance pays what they cover?  When I look up that model it has “spectra s2 “ at Target for $159. Is this a different model than you all are taking about? Or missing accessories?
  • For all the spectra loving mommas what else would you say is necessary to buy with it? I’m getting one shipped to Canada and I want to buy all the extras I may need at the same time too!
  • @tryingktogku Extra parts! If you pump a lot, you will need more membranes (is that what Spectra call them? I can't remember) and backflow preventers. 

If you are pumping at work, a good bag and milk cooler. I also had a wetbag with an ice pack in it for my parts so I didn't have to wash them throughout the day. 
  • Anyone have any thoughts on the Freemie (either attached to their motor or a different breast pump)?  Hands free seems pretty nice!  
  • @dobiemom11 my SIL uses the freemie flanges with her spectra and absolutely loves them!
  • @dobiemom11 I have pretty consistently heard that people don't find the portable pumps to be powerful enough. I have never tried one though. 
  • @gingkomama. I was more interested in hooking up the Freemie cups to the Spectra provided by my insurance.  That way I can have the power and the hands free.  I did hear that people thought the Freemie motor wasn't powerful enough.  
  • @dobiemom11 Ahh got it! I got the Freemie cups and used them with my Spectra a few times. I didn't hate them but didn't love them 🤷
  • Question for BTDT mamas and breast pumps! I don’t want to spend the crazy money on a Canadian subpar pump as I want the spectra S2 but can’t get it to Canada right now so I’m thinking of just waiting it out to see how things go with time (if borders open up I can get it) with that being said how much did you actually need/ use your pump in the first few months? I was to exclusively breast feed anyway and wanted the pump as a backup for over supply or to build supply if needed and more for when I go back to work in a year so I’m starting to wonder if I really “need” it in those first few months anyway? 
  • @tryingktogku I don’t know how to answer is getting the spectra early on is necessary.... if you’re set on the spectra could  you potentially have someone in the US ship the pump to you?