April 2021 Moms
Options

Baby Items: What you should buy and what to stay away from

Re: Baby Items: What you should buy and what to stay away from

• Options
    @mamabee1113 Thanks for all the baby wearing input! I'm assuming our next baby will follow my daughter's growth patterns and be absolutely huge, so I'm hoping that we'll be able to find something accommodating. 😂 I'm thinking we'll be spending a lot of time outside next summer, my husband has big plans for gardens and whatnot and we'll be using baby carriers a lot! 
  • Options
    @bbrahmbhatt I also have used medela and spectra... while both were fine for me, the spectra was much more efficient (got the job done twice as fast)

@thedomesticgeek I also still wear my 2.5 year old fairly often. My favorite is the Happy Baby carrier. So comfy, compact, easy to use, and also cute (they are linen carriers). I do like ring slings a lot for little babies but I get a much comfier fit with my HBC after about 6 months, although I still wear my 1 year old in a ring sling on occasion.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @bbrahmbhatt I had a Medela PISA first time, second time got the spectra and noticed a big difference. Third time I got a Medela again, but the small one with a rechargeable battery and the convenience and size was 100% worth it to me. 
    Also, we have the Mesa car seat and it’s the best ever. We got ours in 2015, have used it for 3 kids, and we’ll still be able to use it for #4 (with a good year before expiration!). But seriously, it washes easily, and is just so dang easy to install!!
  • Options
    Another thought on baby things: I was thinking about diapers last night. (Side note - DD2 has been potty trained for several months now and I’m so enjoying not having to change diapers for now 😂) The most expensive diapers aren’t necessarily the best. We found that some of the generic/store brands are really no different. Every baby is different with their diapers of course, but on the recommendation of a friend I bought some super cheap ones from Aldi and they were honestly not that different from Pampers or Huggies. We had to change her a bit more frequently because they didn’t hide the pee smell quite as well. They were probably a quarter of the price of the name brand stuff! Just something to keep in mind when you have to start buying diapers. Just because they’re more expensive doesn’t always mean they’re better than the others! 
  • Options
    @goldpolkadot is it a big deal that the weight limit for the Mesa is only 35lbs? Do you then have to get another seat?

Thanks for the input on the breast pumps! 

Speaking of diapers, has anyone tried the Costco brand diapers?
  • Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    edited September 2020
    @bbrahmbhatt ummm my 3yo isn't 35lbs yet (mid 60th percentiles). They'll hit the length before weight restrictions. My 15mo is 20lbs and just hit 30" which is small (30th percentile) and that's the length that maxes out our car seat (I imagine the Mesa is longer but still...she'll probably be 4 or close to it before she's 35lbs).

ETA it looks like it's 32". It's an infant seat so you'd need to get a convertible after it's outgrown (or baby just feels too heavy to carry in it). If you don't mind not being able to pick baby up in the car seat (generally called a bucket), you can go straight to a convertible and not spend money on the bucket.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @kvh22 thank you, that is helpful. I was debating between the Mesa and a convertible seat, since that way we would only need to buy one carseat. I have just heard nothing but raves about the Mesa. 
  • Options
    @bbrahmbhatt yea the bucket is easy IMO and great to not wake a sleeping baby for a few minutes when you get home or if you're running somewhere. It also usually clicks into your stroller. But if you don't drive much, you could skip it in theory, 

• Options
    @kvh22 YES on being able to move a sleeping baby inside - yes yes yes!!!
    and @bbrahmbhatt, tho @kvh22 already hit perfectly on all the points, I’ll echo & say the weight limit has never been an issue for us. Definitely hit height first. So for example, our 13mo old at her 1 year check was 19lbs 9oz and was 29 inches tall. With the other 2 kids we moved them into a big kid car seat before a year, usually around 9 months, mostly just because I’ll realize that we’ve totally stopped carrying in the baby seat places because they’re HEAVY. But anyway, with covid and minimal driving for the past 6 months, we just havent switched the yet, so she’s still in hers! It only crossed my mind that we needed to check after her well-check!

Now the next seat is the one that’ll be used for the longest. Our almost 5 year old is still in hers!

So I guess long term-wise if you really, really only wanted to buy one then you could go straight to a convertible. But the baby seats really are super convenient and worth it IMO!
  • Options
    Sorry for the lack of tagging! I think our car seat was 32” long or 35 pounds. My son was at or over 32” right around his birthday. For his first year of life he was always around the 99th percentile for height lol! 

We switched him, for the most part, around 9 months old. He was so darn heavy in the seat to bother carrying both! We did use the other seat on a trip right after his birthday. I am glad we had both though! 
    Hubby & Me: Born 1993
    Married: August 2013
    Son: December 2018
    Baby in heaven: February 2020, was due Sept

• Options
    My kid hated his car seat and stroller until he was a year, so we never really got much use out of the bucket seat. He screamed in the car so there was no need to worry about moving a sleeping baby. Once we got to our destination, I plopped him into the baby carrier and he immediately calmed down. 

Originally I had purchased a travel system and an extra infant car seat base for my husband’s car. Luckily I never installed the extra base. So when my son was 3 months old, I returned the unused base and bought a convertible seat with the $$. He has been riding in that in dad’s car ever since! 
  • Options
    Needed to get out of the house yesterday so went to Buy Buy Baby to look at strollers. Wanted to actually feel how heavy they were. I have trouble lifting things because I have two herniated discs in my lumbar spine and wowww I was pretty surprised at how heavy the Uppababby strollers were (both the Cruz and the Vista). I loved how easy everything popped in and out and folded, etc. but I'm really not sure I could ever lift that in and out of the car by myself. I believe they are 23 and 25 lbs (maybe 25 and 28). Does anyone have experience with a high end stroller that is more lightweight than these?? 
  • Options
    @theblondebump check out lucie's list for gear reviews (lucieslist.com)!! Here's the page on strollers (this is regular strollers - lots of different stroller categories so this is not the end-all-be-all and you might want to look at a few of the other stroller pages): https://www.lucieslist.com/guides/best-infant-car-seats-strollers/baby-strollers/

Here's the excerpt and if you scroll down it looks like some of these are 18lbs at the lightest.
    "We’re starting with the 3-wheeled compact, lightweight stroller, because it’s by far the most popular. There are four (the Baby Jogger City Mini, the Britax B-Lively, the Baby Jogger City Mini GT and the Chicco Viaro) that we like, and you should ideally choose the brand that matches your car seat — simply because you might save money by buying a “travel system” (car seat + stroller combo) and/or on the adapter itself."
    I personally have strollers from all 3 brands: my travel system was the simple/cheap Chicco Bravo + keyfit 30. I loved it for it's purpose and one handed in and out of the car/folding but it's not high end. Baby Jogger I have for my double and Britax makes Bob which is what I have for my jogger. I'd consider Britax and Baby Jogger higher end than Chicco but not much is as high end as Uppababy.

• Options
    runsoncoffeerunsoncoffee member
    edited September 2020
    @theblondebump we have the city select lux and it is also quite heavy! I have gotten used to it but if you have back issues you'll probably have have to try things out in person. I have never used it but have heard amazing things about the bugaboo donkey and it might be a little lighter?
    ETA... I just looked it up and I don't think the bugaboo is any lighter. Its a pretty awesome stroller though!  
  • Options
    @kvh22 thank you so much for that thorough response! Def going to check out that website!! 

thanks @runsoncoffee ! I will check out the bugaboo donkey too (haha sounds like such a funny name) 

My husband's opinion is that I need to just start lifting weights and getting more muscle so I can lift a heavier stroller lolol. To be honest, we are usually together nearly 24/7 anyway since we work together and own our own business, but I know there are bound to be SOME times where I have to handle the stroller without him. 

• Options
    @theblondebump have you looked at specifically lightweight strollers rather than the typical travel systems? When DS was still in the bucket seat our stroller was basically just a frame so pretty light and easy to fold. When we moved to the convertible car seat the stroller was so big and wouldn’t fit in DH’s trunk (at the time he had an electric hybrid car so the trunk was tiny), so we got a much smaller stroller. We got a maxi cosi and I haven’t been in love with it, and the baby jogger city tour which I still love and he’s almost 4. It’s not a luxury brand but I think a few of the other lightweight options still have the ability to use it with a bucket seat too. 
  • Options
    Hmm ok, I didn't think I really wanted one of the lightweight strollers but maybe I'll have to check them out! Thanks @forevertired !

• Options
    @theblondebump remember too that even as baby grows your muscles will strengthen. You might not ever get to body builder level, but I’ve said since DS1 to never underestimate the upper body strength of a momma. As far as a stroller goes it’s not like you’ll be lifting it up crazy, really it’s more of a drag it out of the car and maneuver it back it. It doesn’t need to be graceful either. You’ll prefer having one that moves and is the right height and handle for you than one that’s maybe five pounds lighter. 

As far as anything else, I mean get something for baby to sleep in obviously. I think everyone is going to have a preference and really some babes like them and some don’t. DS1 only slept if I was holding him upright and bouncing and loudly playing the Beastie Boys or rap music. But DS2 was super content in his crib at about 6 weeks for
    most naps/nights with just soft lullaby music. 

I had a Medela pump for DS1 because that’s what insurance gave and for DS2 I had a spectra but it was defective and by time I got around to figuring it out with a lactation consultant and such they said they couldn’t replace it so I just used my medela again. Also if you plan on pumping I recommend the microwave sanitizer bags. It definitely helped with going back to work and sanitizing pump parts and bottles! And for drying things I really liked having a separate drying rack and have the Boon Grass Drying rack and the tree. It was easier for husband to know where to put them after washing too. 

For any first time moms, remember it’s easy to get caught up on all the things out there for newborns, but they outgrow them fast. If you’re planning a shower think ahead for the first year. Think spoons, bibs, sensory balls/rattles/cars that baby will be interested in at 6/7 months. Or if asking for bottles know that there are different size nipples for baby to have as they grow and drink more in each gulp. Same for pacifiers! 
    Oh and keep some infant tylenol on hand in case of a fever or for once those pesky teeth come in and ruin bedtime. 
  • Options
    Anyone use a hands free breast pump? I know of Freemie, Willow, and Elvie. I’m trying to read up on my own but good resources on all 3 are scarce. I think I’d like to try one of them this time- chasing a toddler and BFing one thing, but I can’t do that while tied down to a pump too! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @theletlers Are you saying my April baby might sleep easily 😮😍? Lol! 
    Hubby & Me: Born 1993
    Married: August 2013
    Son: December 2018
    Baby in heaven: February 2020, was due Sept

• Options
    Totally agree with you @theletlers! @theblondebump I think a lot of strollers of similar size to uppa are probably in that weight range, but my 2 big kiddos are over 30lbs each now and I still lift them from time to time so I think you’ll definitely get stronger and used to lifting that weight over time. Our baby is probably like 15-20 lbs and that seems insanely heavy but she’s very light compared to the bigs 😂 That all said, I totally get a back issue so yea, just keep testing out strollers!
  • Options
    @mamabee1113 I loved the freemies while I was pumping at work because it was more discreet and I could get some work done. I even used them in the car several times. I will say their suction was not as strong so my supply went down. This was a few years ago but I’ve heard the same thing more recently too. It was still worth it for me. I’m not sure they’ll work for what you’re looking for though. The tubes go in the top and there’s a small gap so if bend over very far milk may splash out. They’re also still connected to the pump so it’s not much easier to move around than regular pumping bras allow. 
  • Options
    @kelseyyh you never know! DS1 is 5 and still doesn’t usually sleep all night and it takes a ton of effort to get him to sleep. He also stopped all naps by 19 months which helped at night but I wished for a break! DS2 is super easy to sleep though and a quick hug and kiss and one or two songs, blanket and pacifier and I walk away and he goes to sleep on his own and stays in his crib all night with very few exceptions.
  • Options
    I actually never went up a size in the bottle nipples with either of my kids. DD1 switched to a straw cup at 11 months (I was trying to ease her transition and she just went for it on day 1). DD2 is EBF still b/c of covid.

I've heard better things about the elvie than the willow b/c the willow bags are expensive and max out at 4oz. I might have said this already but in order, I want the elvie, then the willow, then the freemie if any of them are offered by my insurance. I have the S1 and S9 already.

• Options
    @kvh22 Thats kind of the order I was leaning towards as well, although the Willow 2.0 now has a reusable milk container, so you don't have use bags all the time. Elvie maxes out at 4oz too, though, doesn't it? I had the spectra s1 with DS and I responded super well to pumping once I figure it out, so i'm not loving the 4oz mx capacity. I would regularly pump 5-8oz per side in a 30min pump. Although, my s1 is still in perfect working condition, so I could use that for my long pumps and use Elvie/Willow/Freemie for shorter pumps?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mamabee1113 ahh I know a lot of ppl with the willow and only one with the Elvie so I have more details on the willow. The person with the Elvie had her milk almost completely dry up (like got an ounce while pumping total all day) when she sent her son back to daycare. She was (is?) still BFing 2 years postpartum and says that being able to do so discreetly with the Elvie is why but I don't think she ever had an oversupply problem so likely couldn't get 4oz still. She was a mess emotionally until she got the Elvie. I'm like you where I can definitely get more than 4oz frequently so that's a bummer about the maxing out at 4oz for that too. I didn't know the new willow had a reusable milk container! That's awesome. Honestly, I'm going to be 100% remote after this baby is born so I don't think I'll spend anything OOP on a pump so odds are I'll end up with the freemie unless insurance gets really good between now and then. I only had to pump for 2.5 months for DD2 before shelter in place so my S9 is almost like new still. Having one of those to be able to pump in the car or discreetly during a video meeting if that ends up being a thing would be great, though.

• Options
    @kvh22 Good to know! I think OOP I'll end up having to pay around $100 for an "upgrade" after what insurance covers. I'm not sure when I'll be returning to work, but having a wearable pump would make life SO much easier even before I do.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mamabee1113 I paid $99 to upgrade from the S2 to the S1 with my first and it was soooo worth it! If that's an option for this for the Elvie or Willow, maybe I'd consider it. Hmm...

• Options
    goldpolkadotgoldpolkadot member
    edited September 2020
    @kvh22 I never went up bottle nipple sizes with any of my kids either!! Basically just ignored Pedi every single time when they suggested it 😂 And we too went straight to straw cups, usually around 11/12 months
  • Options
    Has anyone tried one of the butterfly nursing pillows? I've used my breast friend and boppy pillows in the past, but donated them earlier this year. So I'm in the market for one, but want to keep it minimal and not have all 3, haha.
  • Options
    @Lexibizzel I haven’t actually heard of that - need to look it up! - but I did have both the MBF and boppy with #1...discovered I way preferred the MBF for that baby BUT then with #2 and #3 I ONLY used the boppy 🤣
  • Options
    @Lexibizzel I haven't seen that one but I have my eye on the snuggleme brand nursing pillow! 
  • Options
    @Lexibizzel I only ever had the hoppy but never found it comfortable. I think it really just depends on the most comfortable nursing position for each baby/momma team. I just found pillows to be too much in the way!
  • Options
    @goldpolkadot Overall I preferred MBF. It was bigger, more secure, and I liked the attached pocket. But I did get use out of the boppy, especially with my first. I liked that it was quick to take on and off, and DD liked playing with it when not nursing. What's your take on the butterfly if you've had a chance to check it out?

@runsoncoffee I will look into your pick, thanks.

@theletlers I agree, so much depends on the mama/baby in question.
  • Options
    @Lexibizzel it looks interesting!! Honestly I’d probably just have to test it out tho, it’s hard to tell. I do agree with you on the MBF feeling more secure - I definitely liked that and needed that with #1! Do you have a long torso? Haha weird question but like @theletlers mentioned, comfort totally varies by momma/baby. I’m tall and have a long torso and so found I’m most comfortable if I can have something propped up slightly under the boppy or if I’m kind of leaning on the arm of a chair - otherwise there was a gap and I would end up all hunched over. All that to say, it’s often kind of a trial and error thing when figuring out most comfortable set up for nursing. So I’d say if it looks cool to you, try it out!
  • Options
    @goldpolkadot yes, it is so important not to hunch down when bf. I do have a long torso, I'm 5'9. I definitely look for height when it comes to strollers so I can walk properly when pushing it.
  • Options
    @Lexibizzel YES on the stroller!!! That was a huge factor for me too! We got an uppa and I LOVE how long the handlebar extends. I also have long legs and can’t stand kicking into a stroller when I’m walking. Basically if we ever have to use those cheap lightweight $10 umbrella strollers it’s hell for me lol (and we had to use it for an entire vacation once 😱 - it WAS better than nothing but ugh made me miss mine!)
  • Options
    @goldpolkadot I commend you for surviving one of those things, haha.
  • Options
    BuckeyeNut05BuckeyeNut05 member
    edited September 2020
    I am so late to this thread!  

Regarding breast pumps, @bbrahmbhatt, I exclusively pumped with all babies and Spectra is my all-time fav. I had a Medela with my first and it was loud and it hurt (but did the job).  Last time I used Spectra and I splurged on a 1st gen Willow and hated it. It hurt, it didn’t get as much out as my Spectra, and the bags and cleaning were a mess.  Plus insurance didn’t cover it.  I used it only when I had to. That said, they’ve made some updates and you can buy the cups that are bag-less so I fully intend to buy another. 😂 Also if your insurance doesn’t cover the blue spectra but covers the pink, you can buy a battery to attach to the pink and use it on-the-go no problem. 

My go-to are:
    Baby Bjorn (I’ve never tried other carriers but heard there are others that are amazing, and baby wearing was a lifesaver)
    Dock-a-tot
    Halo Bassinest
    Dome sound maker - someone else said it, but buy multiple because you’ll still want it once the baby moves out of your room
    Fisher Price swing
    BOB Ironman stroller (we had the double for our twins, got the single for the last and it’s aaaahhhhmazing)
    Pockit stroller for times when we needed something more transportable
    Halo swaddles (I am not messing around doing it myself with blankets)
    I am meh on our diaper bag, but my friend has a Tactical Baby Gear one and its on my list
    4Moms baby bathtub
    Bottle warmer
    Dr Browns bottles
    Edited to add a Boppy

There is also something I saw that I really want to try called The Baby’s Brew for warming bottles on the go. I am always the one carrying the thermos of boiling water. 

+1 for someone who thought they were done and purged most all their baby gear and then changed their mind after a surprise pregnancy *TW* and then m/c this spring. Luckily I still have some of it...
  • Options
    I loved my diaper bag I got with DS2. I’m not sure I can find the exact one, but I definitely prefer a backpack style one. Did I mention my husband took it to the playground one day and left the fully stocked bag there and didn’t realize it for two days? Right now the boys are old enough I don’t need a whole bag but can just keep a few spare diapers and wipes handy. But I’ll be getting another one before this little one arrives.