1st Trimester

What Week Was/Is Your First Ultrasound?

I’m seeing and hearing a lot of mixed things from friends and doctors in the area. Some say 8 or 9 weeks and some say you have to wait until 11 weeks or later for the first ultrasound. I understand that things are different now with Covid in play. I’m a worrywart and wondering when everyone had or has scheduled your first ultrasound? As of now mine is set for 11 weeks. I’m 31 and not high-risk.

Re: What Week Was/Is Your First Ultrasound?

• @august1420. My doctor normally does not do first ultrasounds until 12 weeks.  We ended up doing some earlier due to some spotting concerns.  I wasn't scheduled to have even a first appointment until 10 weeks before the different issues, so I would say 11 weeks is perfect.  The baby should have a heartbeat and be a little bigger to estimate due date.  If you are having concerns, then call your doctor to discuss; otherwise just try not to worry and wait for that first appointment.  Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy.    
  • I had my first prenatal appointment at 8 weeks and we scheduled first ultrasound for 12 weeks. I really think it depends on the place you choose... I have a friend that has one at 8 weeks so I don’t think it’s a covid thing I think it’s an individual establishment thing. At least that’s what I feel like I discovered when I called around a few places! 
  • Loading the player...
  • It depends on the place. Some have their own imaging and can do it in house, others will do an intake appointment and refer you to an imaging place.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • It can also depend on your insurance and if you had a natural pregnancy or assisted reproductive procedures. I am an IVF mama and PGAL so my first ultrasound was at 6 weeks, another at 8, another at 10 and another this week at 12. As soon as we can hear a heartbeat I will be foregoing the ultrasounds every 2 weeks for just a doppler heartbeat check. 
  • 9-10ish weeks with my first. 20 weeks (the anatomy scan) with my second and third. 
  • I actually had my first one at only 5 weeks, but we couldn't see anything yet. I was lucky my doctor fit me in right after I called with the positive pregnancy test! 
  • It depends on your office and pregnancy. I have irregular cycles so I was given a dating scan for all of my pregnancies. Due to a previous ectopic I now have regular betas as soon as I get a positive test, and an early scan to make sure it is in the right place. Some people don’t have an ultrasound until the 20 week mark unless they opt for the NT scan in the first trimester. 
  • I have mine scheduled for next Tuesday, just shy of 8 weeks. I'm incredibly nervous because my husband's parents are coming up for the long weekend just prior and we were planning on telling them about the pregnancy. My biggest fear is telling them good news and getting bad news at the ultrasound - but I'm trying to think positively! 
  • august1420august1420 member
    edited September 2020
    @anarmillay92918 This is so a fear of mine as well!  I’m telling my parents this weekend at 7 weeks, but as of now won’t have the ultrasound until 11 =(.  I’m with you though, we just have to think positively.
  • @anarmillay92918 and @august1420 *lurker*  On the flip side, it can be tremendously helpful if you were to get bad news, to have some people like this who are close to you and could help and be supportive.  When you tell them, you can emphasize how early it is and your concerns about your ultrasound and how you're thinking positively, but are aware of the risks and stats.  This could help temper their over-excitement so early on, and also give you a support system if the worst were to happen.
    #BitterHagPartyOf1

Melody Pond GIF
  • @capnjackharkness That’s exactly what I was thinking too. Thanks.