February 2021 Moms
Options

The Baby Name Thread

Put all your baby name questions, inspiration, and debates here! 

Re: The Baby Name Thread

• Options
    I have I have been waiting for this thread!!! I’m so excited. I love names, their meanings and all that goes with it. I’ll probably post when we narrow down a little more. We are on Boy #2 and we had a hard time naming DS so this is only going to be harder. 
  • Options
    We have one name for a boy and one name for a girl since we’re team green but neither of us have discussed if we are set on those names so I’m still open. I feel like it took awhile for us to settle on our first two kids names. Our daughters  ended up being super popular but we had a harder time with our son and I like his the best. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @birdiejo we had such a hard time with naming our son. We couldn’t even narrow the list down until a week before, and still went to the hospital with two name choices and no middle name choices. This time we are team green too and have semi agreed on a girl and a boy first/middle name. Ask me in 6 months if I still like them, though 😂
  • Options
    MH makes fun of me because I have to have two name options when we go to the hospital because what if he doesn’t look like our first name choice?! I want to meet him before we definitively name him. 😂🤣

We tentatively have Thomas David down but I still want a second option. And I know my dad would prefer I went with Theodore ((he’s Thomas too.)) I’m hung up because the middle name is in honor of MH, but he’s a junior and my obnoxious FIL will insist that we named the baby after him. 😑 But it means a lot to MH to pass his name down to one of our kids. It’s just hard for me because I don’t like anything about my FIL. 
  • Options
    Would using your DH's middle name be an option instead @mdfarmchick ? Or do they share a middle name too?
    Me: 34 | DH: 46
    SD: 21 & SS: 17
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*
    TTC 6/13/2015 | BFP #1 5/14/2017 | MMC 7/28/2017 (Trisomy 18) | IL + D&C 8/4/2017

• Options
    We tentatively have names picked out for both sexes, but I'm struggling with the spelling of the first name for a girl.

Normally, I dislike alternative spellings. However, Evalyn is a merging (portmanteau for you English majors) of my grandmother's first and last names. So I'm having a hard time between my sentimental spelling of Evalyn versus the more traditional Evelyn.
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*
    TTC 6/13/2015 | BFP #1 5/14/2017 | MMC 7/28/2017 (Trisomy 18) | IL + D&C 8/4/2017

• Options
    @WildMagelet I love the alternative spelling of Evalyn! I think it's both cute and if it holds sentimental meaning super sweet! 

We have picked a name for both a boy and a girl but decided we wouldnt tell family or friends until baby is here. (We dont want to hear about who they know with that name or anything else.) 
    For the boy it was fairly easy. William has run in my husbands family for many generations. And for a girl we are leaning toward Devon Jane right now so we could call her DJ. 
  • Options
    @mdfarmchick I really like the name Thomas ! Also my son is a Theodore so partial to that one 😁. We call him Teddy. It fits him so well. 

@WildMagelet I love the name Evelyn, I think it’s so pretty. I think when I look at Evalyn I can definitely see that the pronunciation could be the same but I still say “Eva-Lynn” in my head. It’s so similar though that I think it could still work! 
  • Options
    @WildMagelet I also think Eva-Lynn when I read it but I don’t think people would have a problem once they are told it’s pronounced like Evelyn. But I love the sentimental reason for the spelling. 

@mdfarmchick I say use it and when you introduce LO say oh we picked the name after H and leave out FIL. Even if he says it’s after him you will know it’s not. 
  • Options
    @WildMagelet I’m usually the same when it comes to alternative spellings but I love it in your case because of the sweet meaning (I feel like most alternative spellings are trying too hard to be “unique”). I agree with others I’d probably think Eva-Lynn but don’t see that as any kind of deal breaker 

@mdfarmchick I say go with what you like regardless of what your FIL will think. You don’t like him so his opinion doesn’t matter. 😜 I love Theodore but Thomas is strong and classic. Can’t go wrong either way!

@scottijo2012 Love William! It’s on my boy list (for the future; I’m having a girl) I love Will or Liam as a nickname. It’s another one of those great, classic names. Love your girl name too. Devon is lovely and I love the nickname DJ.

We’re having a girl and I have a favorite name but MH wants to narrow it down to 2 or 3 so that we can better pick when we “meet” her. My favorite is Paige with Mackenzie (his mom’s maiden name) as a middle name. My other two favorites are Lily and Ava. Depending on what we go with I also kind of like the idea of using Lee as a middle name. It’s both of our mothers’ middle name so I like the idea of the homage, but it has to ~flow.
  • Options
    @WildMagelet they share a middle name too. I could change the spelling I guess. Louis instead of Lewis. But he’s still hurt a little that I don’t want to use either name and I am still hung up on repeating a name of someone so awful. Like my FIL yelled at me and cursed me out on a vacation to Disney World that we paid for, he chased me around my own kitchen island “telling a story” while MH and MIL looked on in total disbelief, he has called me MH’s ex-wife’s name. But only since we’ve had kids... and more. He hugs too long and sits too close and makes my intuition go off like crazy. 😑
  • Options
    @WildMagelet I love Evalyn. I don't think its so "alternative" that it looks silly. 

@mdfarmchick Theodore was our boy name pick so I'm partial to it! I would say go with whatever feels best when you meet him! 

@scottijo2012 William is such a good, classic name. And I love the nickname DJ for a girl! 

@vizsladogmom I like Paige Mackenzie best but I also think Ava Lee is very cute! 

We've had our girl name picked for a long time but we're having a hard time deciding on middle names. I actually go by my middle name or my first and middle together so the middle name is super important to me. I actually love all of them so its making deciding harder. All 3 middle names are family names

Wrigley Emma
    Wrigley Redden (husb's fave) 
    Wrigley Jean

Me: 31 Husby: 36
    Married May 2014
    TTC # 2  Since December 2021
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    Diagnosis: Poor Egg Quality 
    Working with an RE since March 2016
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    23 eggs collected, 20 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 4 day 3 blasts, 3 day 5 blasts, 1 PGS normal
    Transferred 1 PGS normal embryo 4.12.17
    BFP 4.21.17
    MMC due to small gestational sac 6.8.17

Our adoption journey:
    12.25.18 Agency picked and apps submitted!
    5.1.19 Adoption on hold so we can buy a house! 
    1.1.20 Homestudy process started
    3.14.20 First social worker visit
    5.25.20 Homestudy Approved & Submitted to Agency

6.1.20 Surprise! Positive pregnancy test!
    Healthy baby girl born 2/10/2021

• Options
    @birdiejo, @mdfarmchick and @tamalahoops Theodore is our boy name! (I said this in the HDBD thread, but I made adorebel my sn 5 years ago by combining our girl name, Isa/bel, with our boy name, Theodore).

Idk if we will use it this time, but it's hard to beat! MH and I keep coming back to it even though we like a few other names a lot too. It does seem like it's shot up in popularity even since 5 years ago, though. I don't mind if my kid has a fairly common name, but I don't want him to have one so common that he's constantly being mixed up with 2 or 3 other kids in the class, since I had that growing up and it was sort of annoying. 
    Rainbow Baby? {2.1.21}
    MC at 8 weeks {EDD 9.2.20}
    Rainbow Girl! {2.28.16}Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby boy, lost at 16 weeks {EDD 6.10.15}

• Options
    adorebeladorebel member
    edited August 2020
    @mdfarmchick it's so hard with the name thing! I kept my surname when we got married and MH and I hyphenated our surnames for DD (poor thing, her last name is now kinda long). Even having MH's surname in our kid's name almost bothers me bc his father and his father's entire family were SO absent and awful to MH growing up. I kind of wish MH and DD had my MIL's surname instead of FIL's.

So I don't blame you at all for feeling conflicted about using your FIL's name/middle name, even if it's YH's name as well. Maybe using Thomas after your dad for the first name would "balance it out" for you? 
    Rainbow Baby? {2.1.21}
    MC at 8 weeks {EDD 9.2.20}
    Rainbow Girl! {2.28.16}Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby boy, lost at 16 weeks {EDD 6.10.15}

• Options
    @adorebel Theodore was on our list since we were married and by the time we had him it was many years later. Still loved it! We went back and forth between Teddy and Henry and finally decided on Teddy and I just love it so much. We constantly get compliments on his name it’s so funny. My daughter’s legit was the most popular that year, Ava and she meets other Ava’s everywhere 😆. I want to find something I love as much as Theodore for this next one. 
  • Options
    @adorebel yes so you get it. And yes, I think that’s why MH is insistent on Thomas for the first name even though my Dad is not a fan... he’s hoping it would balance it out a little for me.

MH jokes that he’s not a part of his family after my MIL told me that I would never be a ((insert surname)) no matter what I did. Which is ironic since she married into the same surname... 🤔 I keep joking with him we can both change to my maiden name or we could start hyphenating names 😆
  • Options
    @vizsladogmom my friend named her daughter Avaleigh for her first name and I think it is so cute! It makes me partial to Ava Lee.

@WildMagelet I like the spelling and the meaning behind it! My sons name is Aleksandar and people always so oh I love how unique you spelled it. I’m like we didn’t make it up it is the Serbian spelling and that is my husbands nationality. I think people are quick To assume that just because a name is spelled differently than they usually see that it is “made up” or trying to be “unique.” When in reality it is likely the traditional spelling OR they truly are just being unique haha because it definitely happens!

Names are so hard in our house so we are waiting until we know the sex this time. With our son we were team green and we went to the hospital with 4 names. He wasn’t named for the first hour...whoops!
  • Options
    @vizsladogmom I loooove the name Paige ❤️ 
  • Options
    I've typed a few options to talk over with hubby once we find out gender (fingers crossed that'll be 9/11). Right now my top picks are William (Will for short) Nicholas, William after my late dad and Nicholas is hubby's name. Another contender is Benjamin Nicholas.  As for a girl, which we are pretty positive that's who's in there, I'm thinking Amelia (Millie for short) Nicole. Another is Gabriella Mae. 
  • Options
    If we have another girl we need to figure out how to give a nod to DH's late grandfather Leonard Joseph 😂

Piper Len/Lenny/Jo
    Phoenix Lenny
    Leisl Jo
    Rook Len/Lenny

🤷🏻‍♀️ Not the final list but some I like
  • Options
    Piper jo! That’s cute 
  • Options
    Oh look I must like jo 😂
  • Options
    birdiejo said:
    Oh look I must like jo 😂
    Hey if an adult can vouch for it must be good 👍
  • Options
    Ooh Jo from little women! I like this middle name I might need to use it too. 
  • Options
    Another vote for Piper Jo! Super cute!
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*

• Options
    @birdiejo and @jumpy57 my middle name is Jo, and I've always loved it! 

The couple names that we are debating are:
    Eleanor Mae
    Charlotte Jo (told you I liked Jo  :))
    Lydia Grace
  • Options
    i love Charlotte Jo and Lydia Grace!!!! I love the name Lydia but my husband does not. Charlotte has always been a possibility on our list but we probably won’t end up using it. 
  • Options
    I love eleanor mae!
    Married May 2014
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    23 eggs collected, 20 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 4 day 3 blasts, 3 day 5 blasts, 1 PGS normal
    BFP 4.21.17

Our adoption journey:

• Options
    @kkfishy9 love the name Charlotte ❤️
  • Options
    I love Eleanor Mae too!
  • Options
    Honestly, I think I change my mind on it every day! Thanks for the input, I'll keep the group posted on what we decide! Also really love seeing everyone's name options, so fun :)
  • Options
    Eleanor May is my favorite, but part of me wants to just shorten it to Ellie-May as nickname, which is also super cute.

I adore the name Charlotte, and had briefly considered it because it's my aunt's name, but ultimately decided against it since I'm assuming it'll be popular for a few more years because of the Princess.
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*

• Options
    MH threw me for a loop the other day. He gave me the largest list ever and included two of my favorite names that he had completely vetoed with the first two boys. 😳

So Thomas David is still on the table ((I can change it to Theodore, but he prefers Thomas)), and he added James and Oliver. Middles names are TBD. But they are both top ten names and I also love them... should I use one anyway?? Or too popular?

@WildMagelet I feel the same way about Charlotte but MH vetoed it anyway. It’s a super cute name though. 
  • Options
    I love James and Oliver! So cute!! @mdfarmchick
  • Options
    TW: loss mentioned - 

We knew the gender in our first pregnancy since we did genetic screening with IVF so we had a name from the time he was in a petri dish and his name was Oliver James! So I love that name! 
    Married May 2014
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    BFP 4.21.17

Our adoption journey:

• Options
    @tamalahoops ♥️♥️♥️ me too. 
  • Options
    So we have one name each that are our front runners from pre pregnancy but I’m not 100% sure. 

Winnie (needs a middle name)
    Sullivan Baer 

Still thinking of alternative options that might be better or we’ll just stick with these names. 
  • Options
    @mdfarmchick Oliver is a fantastic classic name!